General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Supporting running shoes for Clydes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-06 3:55 PM

Lexington OH
Subject: Best Supporting running shoes for Clydes

I'm 52, 5'10", 244 (down from 278) on my way to 190.   I'm more of a cyclist, and used to be a life guard, but have never really been a distance runner.  Any recommendations on running shoes.  I have a narrow foot (size 10, B).  I also have a low arch (not flat), and I have a problem with my left arch falling every now and then.  (not sure if this is common, but I've got a couple ligaments in there that are a little stretchy (according to the doc)..

Foot Locker manager said to look for shoes classified as Motion Control shoes.  I've heard some good things about New Balance 1225, and the Nike Air Pegasus..

What's working for everyone?

2011-04-06 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3433080

Regular
Houston
Subject: RE: Best Supporting running shoes for Clydes
My fathers uses the Brooks "Beast" I believe.  He liked them so much for running he bought a pair for just casual shoes as well.  
2011-04-06 9:12 PM

User image

Expert

rockin the brooks adrenaline.  I tried the beast but it was pretty heavy.  One thing to look for, where your arch is notice the darker grey material. Look for that if you need the arch support, that is a denser material that will give you support.

2011-04-06 11:11 PM

User image

Las Vegas

I asked this same question a couple of months ago in an older thread. You may want ot look that up .. alot of responses - old & new.

I ended up going to a running specific store - not a sports department store and was fitted after they video tapped me running on their treadmill.  I went in thinking since I was a clydesdale that I needed a "stability" shoe but after analysis (and me watching the video too) I learned that s stability shoe would have ruined me.  I had been in a set of New Balance stability shoe which explains why I had a hard time enjoying learning how to run.

They had me try on several brands and models before we found one just right.  I learned that even between the same brand, they change the shoe fit slightly.  Just becasue it's a non-stability shoe from brand X does not mean that all fit the same.  Now I am in a set of Saucony Ride 3 and love them!!

I am 6'2" & 264lb

GO TO A RUNNING STORE WITH A TREADMILL AND VIDEO TO GET FITTED.

2011-04-07 6:45 AM

Lexington OH

thanx MikeFogg.   That's good advice.  I have a pair of New Balance cross-trainers that I wear for walk/jogging, and they are comfortable to beat around in, but I don't think they would do for what I need.

I'll have to look up a Running specific store close to me.  Probably Columbus ...

I'm also going to look up the old thread.

2011-04-08 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3433474

Veteran
ajusf16 - 2011-04-06 9:12 PM

rockin the brooks adrenaline.  I tried the beast but it was pretty heavy.  One thing to look for, where your arch is notice the darker grey material. Look for that if you need the arch support, that is a denser material that will give you support.

This is the exact pair I just bought on Monday.  They are good so far.  Brooks runhappy was in town and they did a gait analysis on me and recommended the adrenaline or trance.  I went with adrenaline.  My last 3 pair of shoes were the Ravenna but my feet would hurt toward the end of my longer runs.  Loving these so far.

2011-04-11 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3433474

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.
ajusf16 - 2011-04-06 7:12 PM

rockin the brooks adrenaline. 

x3

2011-04-11 8:08 PM

I am 6'1 and 270lbs. I have been running on Nike Air Moto's since I was in the 300lbs plus range without any foot problems. Of coures we are talking the 4-6 mile range. No marathons for me. Yet! I tried to run for many years with lots of foot pain until I found these. They did the trick for me.
2011-04-11 8:12 PM

By the way, I would stay out of Footlocker, Dicks or Sports Authority. I personally don't think they have the expertise to pick a good shoe for you. If you want some good advice find a store that caters to runners specificially. Those other stores are good if you know what you want.

Motion control doesn't really have much to do with good cushioning, so personally I think the footlocker manager was sending you into left field.

Just my 2 cents.

2011-04-13 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3436064

Was this for the Rock and Roll half marathon? I did the same thing and they suggested some shoes. Unfortunately I had just bought some new Nikes (which are horrible).

--Follow me at tri-ingtogetahead.blogspot.com

2011-04-13 3:20 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
I started tri training 3-4 years ago over 240 pounds.  I have ran over 2200 miles in Asic nimbus 10,11,12's and I love them.  I am just over 200 now and I plan to run 180+ this month.  If you have the option go into 2 different running stores and play dumb.  See if they show you the same shoes or the same types of shoes before you buy.  I would just make sure they tell you the best shoe for you, not just a shoe they have in stock.  Know what I mean?

2011-04-13 8:04 PM

@Viking58

I know exactly what you mean. Went into a sporting goods store to get my wife some running shoes and they recommended Brooks. We bought them and she loves them.

I have been back to that same store several times and when ever I ask them to recommend a shoe it is always a Brooks shoe.

Now I am not knocking Brooks as I think they are really good shoes, but they sell a lot of popular running shoe brands and they always go for Brooks. Makes me wonder if they get a commission or something.

I want the best shoe for me. Not the best shoe for them.

2011-04-13 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3440447

User image

Expert
hondo77 - 2011-04-11 3:06 PM
ajusf16 - 2011-04-06 7:12 PM

rockin the brooks adrenaline. 

x3

the guy next to me Sunday in transition had a pair too
2011-04-14 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3445555

User image

Expert
CenTex
I swear by my Brooks Glycerine but it's a neutral shoe.  Love it, though.  I've worn them for several HIM's and my 1 IM and will stay with the Brooks line as long as my knees let me run.
2011-04-15 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3446526

Lexington OH

Well.. I finally found the shoes.   Brooks Dyad 6.

I live about 45 minutes north of Columbus OH and there are no running specific stores where I live.  I sometimes have to travel to the Columbus office, so I made it a point to visit a running store last week.  I told the guy my story.  He measured my foot, had me roll up my pants and walk across the floor. He said that I was a slight over-pronator. He then brought out 3 pairs of shoes. Nike Triax +14, Brooks Defyance, and a pair of ASIC's (can't remember).  The Nike's fit the best, and I walked a little in them, and he seemed happy, but I wasn't quite sure.  I asked him the price, and he said $145.00. *OUCH*  Didn't want to drop that much until I was absolutely positive.

Was talking to a friend of mine in spinning class day before yesterday and he told me about a guy at a different running store.  Stopped there yesterday.  This guy asked tons of questions, measured me sitting and standing, measured my arch after standing, and decided that my arches "fell" somewhat and elongated my foot.  I also found out that most shoe people had been measuring my width wrong.  He had me walk on the treadmill in my socks, and watched me from the front and from the back.  He looked at me and said "There is only one shoe that will work for you.  You are a almost flat footed, neutral runner (no pronation), and there is only one shoe on the market currently for your situation".  He brought out the Dyad's.  I got on the treadmill and started walking, and then kicked it up and started running. There were amazing.  I've NEVER felt this good running.  My feet and shins had always hurt.  I'm running for my workout this evening and I can't wait.

Moral of this story is 1) Do a bunch of research, 2) try a bunch of shoes, and 3) find out from other runners who the best fitter is out there.  

Oh..  These shoes were $90 after my running club's discount.  Plus he gave me a free running-t, and a free pair of running socks.  Everytime I need to get running shoes for my family, I'm going back to him.

2011-04-17 4:09 AM

User image

Veteran
For me it is the Brooks Beast, I am on my pair#  8 or 9

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Supporting running shoes for Clydes Rss Feed