General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Wisconsin - places to stay suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-07 11:29 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: IM Wisconsin - places to stay suggestions?

I'm going there this Sept. to race.  Anyone have a suggestion on where to stay?

Can you easily drive to the starting line on the morning of the race?  Is parking reasonable?

I suppose a secondary question is how much does this traffic gum up Madison?  Will my friends with me be able to watch the start, hang out around town all day, and then catch me at the finish?

2011-04-07 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3434338

User image

Veteran
Fort Wayne IN
Subject: RE: IM Wisconsin - places to stay suggestions?

We stayed at the Courtyard/Marriot East - 6 mile straight shot to the race venue, found it very easy and could escape the huge crowds if desired - kids enjoyed the pool and the breakfast was great.  I am racing this year and decided to stay again along with friends and fam that are also attending.  Downtown parking is "reasonable" but that is entirely a perspective based on what you would be used to.  Big City vs. Smaller - I found it very reasonable with just a little searching.  And to top it off the hotel was reasonably priced.  Hope that helps

2011-04-07 4:38 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Aneides - 2011-04-07 11:29 AM

I'm going there this Sept. to race.  Anyone have a suggestion on where to stay?

Can you easily drive to the starting line on the morning of the race?  Is parking reasonable?

I suppose a secondary question is how much does this traffic gum up Madison?  Will my friends with me be able to watch the start, hang out around town all day, and then catch me at the finish?

You can easily drive to the starting line in the morning.  The earlier you get there, the better the parking proximity to transition.  I live on the Far West side of Madison and left my house around 4:45am and was in the transition area by 5am.

Getting around the area the day of the event is not a huge issue.  Your friends can easily see you swim, see you on the bike (Old Sauk Pass/Timber would be great) and still see you multiple times on the run.  It would be wise for your friends map out a few key spots ahead of time so you know where to look for them.  I would be happy to provide suggestions/directions.  I live right off Old Sauk. 

As far as hotels, it depends on whether you mind driving back and forth several times that weekend.  Nothing is particularly far and you can get some decent deals on either the West Side or East Side of Madison.  Downtown is easy because you can walk almost everywhere....e.g Concourse, Hilton (on top of transition basically).  Again if you want actual recos let me know.

2011-04-07 6:02 PM
in reply to: #3434985

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
SSMinnow - 2011-04-07 5:38 PM

You can easily drive to the starting line in the morning.  The earlier you get there, the better the parking proximity to transition.  I live on the Far West side of Madison and left my house around 4:45am and was in the transition area by 5am.

Getting around the area the day of the event is not a huge issue.  Your friends can easily see you swim, see you on the bike (Old Sauk Pass/Timber would be great) and still see you multiple times on the run.  It would be wise for your friends map out a few key spots ahead of time so you know where to look for them.  I would be happy to provide suggestions/directions.  I live right off Old Sauk. 

As far as hotels, it depends on whether you mind driving back and forth several times that weekend.  Nothing is particularly far and you can get some decent deals on either the West Side or East Side of Madison.  Downtown is easy because you can walk almost everywhere....e.g Concourse, Hilton (on top of transition basically).  Again if you want actual recos let me know.

I did IMWI for the first time last year and, based on my family's experience, this advice/info is spot-on.  We drove from West Madison into the race site on Friday, Sat, and Sunday.  Never had a problem getting parking, etc.  So don't worry if you choose to stay over there. 

On race morning, we left for the race site at 5 am and were parked a short walk from transition by 5:25, as I recall.

The only significant delay I recall was the line at the restroom...

2011-04-07 7:21 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

We stayed at the Staybridge East for the race, but during a practice weekend we stayed at the Residence Inn West in Middleton - really liked that Middleton area and would probably go back there if I race IMWI again. Both were equa-distance from the race site, just opposite sides of town.

Absolutely no issues driving in early race morning, finding a parking garage spot, and walking to the Terrace.

2011-04-08 8:01 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Probably your biggest problem at this point will be finding a room really close by as in a mile of walking distance.  Hilton, Best Western, Double Tree are all sold out but I have stayed farther out and had no problem.  Even better if someone volunteers because there is a special parking ramp for volunteers that is free and really close by (2 blocks from the finish line). 
I am racing and we are staying at the Hilton.  Had to book that the morning I signed up.  Can't beat going up to your room for a potty break the morning of if I really want to!

2011-04-14 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3437017

User image

Veteran
Golden Valley, MN

We stayed at the Doubletree both years I've done IMW.  We thought it was great to be close to the action.  No parking worries.  An easy walk to the start.  And remember it's not just the race start...there's registration, expo, bag and bike dropoffs.  And State Street is really fun.  Also, the wife liked being able to have a nearby "home base" to quickly drop into during the race...right along  the run course. 

They probably are sold out now, but there will certainly be some cancellations.  I recall then emailing me a few months before the race just to make sure I was still going to be there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Wisconsin - places to stay suggestions? Rss Feed