BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-06-23 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3563994

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL!
Had to post that I did the run workout mentioned earlier today and hit all of the 1/2 mile intervals at 6:00 pace (or better). I was afraid of this workout going in but crushed it. It didn't feel nearly as tough as I thought it would. I am beginning to think I may be in one of those elusive breakthrough periods. Pretty darn exciting for me. It makes me want to keep putting in the work and following the plan.

2011-06-24 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3436046

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
bleh... lot of stuff going on.  Training, and logging training has suffered.

Finally got in a decent trainer ride yesterday and a good run and swim this morning.  The bright side side is that I'm losing weight.  I was bouncing between 170-175 when we started up, now I'm bouncing 165-170, mainly because of diet.  I've been on an oatmeal for breakfast kick with a little squeeze of local honey.  Lunch has been salads ( a lot of them from lettuce, cukes, and tomatoes in my garden with homemade salad dressings) and natural peanut butter with whole grain wheat bread.  Dinners are pretty normal (meat and veg, or a pasta dish) but my wife and I have been watching our portions.  For me, that basically means I've stopped eating for two.  One chicken breast instead of two.  Small, small, small second helpings of pasta.  Nixing the hunks of bread with the meal.  That sort of thing.  But we've been able to find really great meals and we have three local farmers markets that we've made great use of.  Lots of fresh beans and peas, great fruit, etc.  I feel around a million times better I can attribute most of that to what I'm putting in my bod.

Anyway, that leaves me a little over two months to get down to around 160 and train to get faster at that weight.  I raced around 155 one year, but that was so dang hard to maintain that it wore me out and I ended up getting burned out on it for a while.

Happy weekend!
2011-06-24 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3563994

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
wannabefaster - 2011-06-23 12:34 PM I'll jump in. I am in a pretty tough training block right now, just over two weeks out from first HIM of the season (and my Kona Lottery Slot validation race). I am doing a lot of long workouts with hard intervals in the body of the workout. Yesterday was a morning swim and then 1 hr 20 minutes on the bike with 10 x 1 minutes intervals at 280 watts with 1 min recovery then 10 x 1 minute intervals at 235 watts with 30 seconds recovery between. It was hard but I can feel myself getting stronger. This ride would have killed me two months ago but was very doable last night. This morning I did a swim workout that was pretty tough. I did not feel great in the water but the clock said I was turning in very fast (for me) times. My last 100 was in 1:22 which is about as fast as I have ever gone. Progress, but with a lot of room still to improve. I have noticed in the past that when my swim workouts feel "bad" they are often breakthrough workouts where I am making real swimming progress. The first couple times this happened I couldn't believe the clock because subjectively the workout felt so lousy but objectively the workout was darn good. Tonight is an interval running workout where I will do a long run with a series of 1/2 mile repeats trying to hit 6 minute/mile pace for the intervals. I am sure it will hurt but it sure feels good to be able to look at my logs and see real progress in pace and endurance. Tonight's run is special because it should put me over 1000 miles on my feet for the year so well ahead of last years logged mileage. There is where things stand training-wise now. Like I said before, I hope everyone else is having as much fun with this as I am. Also, I am happy to report that in spite of the training volume my wife is still solidly on board with the training for Iron Man which makes it much easier to do. Jason

That's funny.  I've noticed that as well.  Best I can tell is you "fixed" whatever you were working on, or you broke through on some aspect of the stroke and it reveals something else that now feels odd and needs work.  So even though you all of sudden feel more uncomfortable, you're actually feeling uncomfortable at a faster pace.

That's all I could ever figure out.

And nice work on that run workout.  You may actually be hitting that break through and last peak before taper.  Pretty ideal place to be heading into a major race.  Plus, it serves as much deserved and earned shot of confidence.
2011-06-24 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3565393

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
And nice work on that run workout. You may actually be hitting that break through and last peak before taper. Pretty ideal place to be heading into a major race. Plus, it serves as much deserved and earned shot of confidence.

Thanks. I feel great and think I will be ready to go.

I agree with you on the swimming assessment. I think sometimes good swimming feels harder or worse because I am actually catching the water and pulling harder. I am using my body more efficiently but it feels worse because of the additional work. Now I just need to cement whatever was going right and keep the slow, steady progress.

-----
2011-06-24 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3563144

New user

I've got my first ever tri, a sprint tri coming up on 7/24.  I know its probably a little late, but I did my first brick (bike and run) the other day and my legs felt a little like jello, but it wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be!  I plan to continue doing at least a brick a week so that my body is acclimated to it when I get to the tri a month from today.  I did not follow much of a training plan for this event, I started training the first of the year.  In hindsight, I probably should have followed some kind of plan, but with no previous experience in this sport, I kind of "winged it".  But I think I will be OK.  I have another sprint on 8/14 and that will probably be it for racing for the summer.  My 17 year old son is headed up for the summer this weekend, I'm going to try to encourage him to train with me and get him away from all the other "teenage distractions and peer pressure" activities he was experiencing in FL.  I do have a question, is there such a thing as tapering for a sprint tri?  If so, any suggestions on what it should be?  Hope y'all are enjoying your training and summer, its in the 90's already here in NC, so trying to get training in the mornings or after work. 

Edited by vb06199 2011-06-24 12:56 PM
2011-06-25 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3563241

User image

Champion
Jewel22 - 2011-06-23 6:17 AM

newbz - 2011-06-23 1:11 AM Haha it looks like i'm either slacking off too much or people are busy!

Not at all ... I'm just curious about everyone's training. 

I will admit though, that I am wondering what happened to some of the people that joined up here and haven't posted. 

thats fairly normal, a lot of people sign up for a website like this (or a group) and then drop off pretty quick, oftentimes you'll see someone join a group and then their post count never goes above 2 or 3 (ie they never post on BT again)

2011-06-25 7:21 PM

User image

Champion
looks like everyone is really doing well for the most part and some pretty serious training going on all around! Glad to see that.

I've got my heavy training for the week in early (last hard ride was today). nothing tomorrow and monday is going to be easy, but tomorrow i'm covering the pro race for the philadelphia triathlon (the pro list this year is impressive!)

The selected photos from that will be up on triathlonshots.com within the week.
2011-06-25 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3565495

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I do have a question, is there such a thing as tapering for a sprint tri? If so, any suggestions on what it should be?

I don't know if it is a true taper for a sprint but I might cut my mileage back about 1/3 for the week and reduce my intensity a little. I would still put a few fast (and short) intervals in my workouts to keep the "pop" in my legs but I sure wouldn't be working out like crazy in the last few days before a sprint.

Sprints can be hard because they are short enough that the effort level can be really high and you don't want your legs too be too tired when you are trying to go fast.

Take this all with a grain of salt. I wasn't ever smart enough to use a plan for sprint tri training. Only wizened up when I started going longer and decided I couldn't manage it on my own.

Good luck in your race.

Jason
2011-06-27 7:12 AM

Ontario, Canada

Well, I'm gonna have to bail on my race in mid-July.  I skated the other day and every time I upped the speed a bit I had the pain in my knee.  Once I slowed down the pain went away.  It's just not worth the entry fee ($60.00) for me to go skate.  I think I'll contact the organizers and see if they need another volunteer because although I won't be skating my husband will be.

As for my training, I'm not really following any specific training program now for skating but I am cycling, running & swimming.  Cycling more than anything.  I would like to do a duathlon in the fall so I'm going to look for a training program and see if I can't follow it. 

I do have a questions tho.  As part of my inline skating training twice weekly I do what I call my little circuit which includes weights.  Do any of you lift weights as part of your training?  Just curious because if I recall correctly none of the triathlete training programs I saw included any weight training. 

2011-06-27 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3568601

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I do weight training but different from most people's idea of weight training. I call it cardio-weight training. I do fast circuits of 10 - 20 reps with almost no rest in between. A typical session for me would be abs (20-30), pushups (30-50), pullups (6-10), dips (10-15), curls, plank of some type for a minute, burpees (down ups for 10-15 reps, often with weights in my hands) and repeat. The exercises will vary from session to session. A circuit takes me about 5 minutes and I will typically do 2 to 4 circuits depending on how I feel and how much time I have. I always alternate pushing and pulling exercises so I am recovering a little bit even though I am not resting between sets. I try to do this three times per week but often only get one or two in per week.

This is a hard workout that I will often tack on to the end of another workout. My heart rate can easily hit the 170s to 180s doing this type exercise.

Anyways, that is what I do. It makes me feel better. I always feel like my core starts to get weak if I slack too much and miss too many of these sessions.

Hope that helps.

Jason
2011-06-28 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3570139

Ontario, Canada

wannabefaster - 2011-06-27 9:15 PM I do weight training but different from most people's idea of weight training. I call it cardio-weight training. I do fast circuits of 10 - 20 reps with almost no rest in between. A typical session for me would be abs (20-30), pushups (30-50), pullups (6-10), dips (10-15), curls, plank of some type for a minute, burpees (down ups for 10-15 reps, often with weights in my hands) and repeat. The exercises will vary from session to session. A circuit takes me about 5 minutes and I will typically do 2 to 4 circuits depending on how I feel and how much time I have. I always alternate pushing and pulling exercises so I am recovering a little bit even though I am not resting between sets. I try to do this three times per week but often only get one or two in per week. This is a hard workout that I will often tack on to the end of another workout. My heart rate can easily hit the 170s to 180s doing this type exercise. Anyways, that is what I do. It makes me feel better. I always feel like my core starts to get weak if I slack too much and miss too many of these sessions. Hope that helps. Jason

That does indeed help.  My circuit is very similar to yours the only things I don't do are the pullups and or dips and I don't have weights in my hands for the burpees.  I'll have to try that.  Like you I'd like to do this three times a week but mostly only manage once a week. 

Thanks for the reply.

Christine 

2011-06-28 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3567328

User image

Champion
wannabefaster - 2011-06-25 8:03 PM

I do have a question, is there such a thing as tapering for a sprint tri? If so, any suggestions on what it should be?

I don't know if it is a true taper for a sprint but I might cut my mileage back about 1/3 for the week and reduce my intensity a little. I would still put a few fast (and short) intervals in my workouts to keep the "pop" in my legs but I sure wouldn't be working out like crazy in the last few days before a sprint.

Sprints can be hard because they are short enough that the effort level can be really high and you don't want your legs too be too tired when you are trying to go fast.

Take this all with a grain of salt. I wasn't ever smart enough to use a plan for sprint tri training. Only wizened up when I started going longer and decided I couldn't manage it on my own.

Good luck in your race.

Jason

Yes there is a taper for one, the real question is the goal of the race and how that fits into your overall plan/goals.

To me this it the dif between an A, B, C race etc. It's not how hard you plan to race but rather how you train/rest for a specific event. The higher the priority the more training load is geared towards it. If you are in the middle of a bigger block it doesn't make as much sense to back down for the race as you'll lose out on the gains/training time a bit if that makes sense.
In other words is losing training time going to cost you more than the rest is going to be worth?
2011-06-28 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3568601

User image

Champion
Jewel22 - 2011-06-27 6:12 AM

Well, I'm gonna have to bail on my race in mid-July.  I skated the other day and every time I upped the speed a bit I had the pain in my knee.  Once I slowed down the pain went away.  It's just not worth the entry fee ($60.00) for me to go skate.  I think I'll contact the organizers and see if they need another volunteer because although I won't be skating my husband will be.

As for my training, I'm not really following any specific training program now for skating but I am cycling, running & swimming.  Cycling more than anything.  I would like to do a duathlon in the fall so I'm going to look for a training program and see if I can't follow it. 

I do have a questions tho.  As part of my inline skating training twice weekly I do what I call my little circuit which includes weights.  Do any of you lift weights as part of your training?  Just curious because if I recall correctly none of the triathlete training programs I saw included any weight training. 

I do lift over the winter to help kickstart my weightloss for the season (i typically go up 6-10 pounds in the off season and then start knocking if off around new years). It is for me a great way to get in some extra training time during the colder months, but as the season nears i drop it in favor of sport specific work.

Now that said, there are a number of reasons to lift, it can be fun, may help you look/feel better, and for athletes as we start to get older (30-40 depending on who you ask), it can be good to help maintain bone and overall health.
2011-06-28 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3570529

User image

Champion
2011-06-30 1:39 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Repeated last weeks 1/2 mile interval workout yesterday and hit 6 x 1/2 mile intervals on 6:00 pace. On 3 of the intervals I crossed the 1/2 mile mark in under 3 minutes so things keep ticking along. I am also continuing to see dramatic improvement in my swim pace but I am also swimming more cumulative weekly yardage than ever in my life. The training seems to be paying off.

As I was analyzing my last two weeks of gains I noticed that they came after a week of 9+ hours of sleep/night (I usually sleep 6 or less). I have largely ignored the sleep/recovery component but I think this is proof positive that sleep helps.

Anyways, wanted to let you all know that the work is working. I am tired and looking forward to a mini-taper next week for my July 9 race. I am also really excited to see the gains to be had from consistent, hard, training.

Jason
2011-06-30 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
Cairns - Australia
Hi all - haven't been here for a while but I have a question and hoping you may be able to help. I went for a swim in the sea on Wednesday, after completing the swim I stopped to turn off my stopwatch and was hit by a wave from the back and the front, the sea wasn't too rough.  It knocked me off my feet and I was totally dumped, twisted around under the water landed on the beach with both legs calves cramping big time.  I was then dragged back into the sea as I couldn't get up and bought back again.  I eventually dragged my self onto the beach but my left calf was badly cramped.  I am now in continuous pain which seems to have got worse, I have iced it, I also bruised directly afterwards.  Have I torn a muscle, and what do I do? Thanks

2011-07-01 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3576016

User image

Champion
First sorry to hear about that.

Now i think this is one case where it is time to call a Dr and get that checked out if you can as it sounds like a bit more than muscle cramps./
2011-07-01 11:00 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm with newbz on this one. Sounds like more than a cramp, and with the bruising it really sounds like a muscle tear of some type. A doctor needs to look at this and help you figure out what to do (hopefully nothing).

This is coming from a guy who won't go to the doctor unless there is a bone showing so I must really mean it.

Edited by wannabefaster 2011-07-01 11:01 AM
2011-07-01 10:11 PM

User image

Regular
Cairns - Australia
Thanks guys - went to the doctor and had a scan to look for blood clots, possibly a small tear in the soleus plus tropical ear infection which probably came by from being dumped also, seeing all on the same side.
2011-07-05 12:32 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Crashed my bike on Saturday. Bike and body are pretty much OK but my ego is bruised. I just got going too fast down a steep hill with a 90 degree turn at the bottom. When I realized I was never going to make the turn I straightened my wheel and ended up about 10 yards back in the woods. Over my handlebars. Covered in mud and leaves. Glasses and water bottles got thrown another 5 yards or so. Because I am not injured I can laugh about it. I am sure that it would have been "funniest videos" worthy if anyone had caught it on tape. Man did it scare me at the time. Worst part of the whole thing is that I must have passed through some poison ivy in my adventure and now I am itching like crazy.

Rest of the weekend's training went well. I was pretty sore the next morning when I started running but it all worked itself out.

Less than one week out from first HIM of the season. should be fun.

Jason
2011-07-06 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3565495

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
When you get out of the water you will be light headed, when you start running you will feel all out of sorts, but just stick with it, and you'll be a finisher!

2011-07-07 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3581383

Ontario, Canada

wannabefaster - 2011-07-05 1:32 PM Crashed my bike on Saturday. Bike and body are pretty much OK but my ego is bruised. I just got going too fast down a steep hill with a 90 degree turn at the bottom. When I realized I was never going to make the turn I straightened my wheel and ended up about 10 yards back in the woods. Over my handlebars. Covered in mud and leaves. Glasses and water bottles got thrown another 5 yards or so. Because I am not injured I can laugh about it. I am sure that it would have been "funniest videos" worthy if anyone had caught it on tape. Man did it scare me at the time. Worst part of the whole thing is that I must have passed through some poison ivy in my adventure and now I am itching like crazy. Rest of the weekend's training went well. I was pretty sore the next morning when I started running but it all worked itself out. Less than one week out from first HIM of the season. should be fun. Jason

Wow, that's quite a crash.  Glad you're okay!!  No injuries except for the poison ivy ... how's that going for you now? 

Good luck on your race this weekend.

Christine

2011-07-07 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3584270

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Wow, that's quite a crash. Glad you're okay!! No injuries except for the poison ivy ... how's that going for you now?

Well...... I itch like crazy. It has been quite a year for poison ivy here in Michigan. Third time I have had it this year and it is only July 7. My last case was not all the way healed and now I have a whole bunch of new spots to scratch at. I do think I might have broken a knuckle on my right hand as well. It hurts a little during the pull in swimming but otherwise does not bother me too much.

Less than 48 hours until race time. Nerves are jangling but I am looking forward to it. Thanks for the well wishes.

Jason

2011-07-07 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3584476

Ontario, Canada

wannabefaster - 2011-07-07 10:10 AM Wow, that's quite a crash. Glad you're okay!! No injuries except for the poison ivy ... how's that going for you now? Well...... I itch like crazy. It has been quite a year for poison ivy here in Michigan. Third time I have had it this year and it is only July 7. My last case was not all the way healed and now I have a whole bunch of new spots to scratch at. I do think I might have broken a knuckle on my right hand as well. It hurts a little during the pull in swimming but otherwise does not bother me too much. Less than 48 hours until race time. Nerves are jangling but I am looking forward to it. Thanks for the well wishes. Jason

You can try cortizone cream for the itching or calamine lotion if you're not using anything.  Broken knuckle, hmmmmm, I've broken fingers and my wrist before but never a knuckle.  I can see where it would cause a bit of a problem swimming.

Nerves are a good thing sometimes ... you'll be more than fine & sure to have a good time.  I'll look forward to hearing about you race.

Christine

2011-07-07 11:52 PM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Anyone have races this upcoming weekend?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14