BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-04-27 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3469297

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? OPEN!

newbz - 2011-04-27 10:38 AM

Within reason, just stick with what you are comfortable with leading up to it. For a race that short the only meal i'll change is possibly the night before, nothing that could cause issues (you'll know what those foods are for you hopefully). Morning of, partly will depend on how long you'll be on course. I've ranged from nothing to a full meal for sprints, but typically will do something like a bagal, or a bananam, or cereal before i leave home and pop-tarts on the way there. My pre-race food of choice on the way to shorter races and running races is two poptarts and a banana or something along those lines. Just keep it simple race morning a few hours out and you'll be fine. most any breakfast foods like cereal, oatmeal, etc are fine.

I usually have a bowl of oatmeal (I mix one packet of instant with a handful of raw quick oats) and that works for me.

The key, of course, is to remember the first rule: Nothing new on race day. I can't stress that enough.

Also, gummi bears are NOT a good idea for carb-loading pre-race. Really, a very very bad idea.

2011-04-27 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3469732

User image

Champion
Haha I am the king of new food on race day! But i also train/eat anything under the sun, and will carry anything i can fit in my pockets on training rides.

Gummy bears while not great for pre-race food make an awesome in training fuel!
2011-04-27 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3467952

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
wannabefaster - 2011-04-26 10:05 PM

I would like in. I will post my history, my goals, and my plan for the year once I get off this damn trainer.

So, I have been hanging out on the forum and posting intermittently for the last couple years. I have been really impressed with how Newbz crushes his runs after putting all the work and I would like in on some of his mojo.

My history; 39 years old so I get to move up and race in the 40-44 age group this year. Too bad it seems like everyone this age is super fast. Married with two kids and a very full time job. This will be my fourth tri season. Started with sprints in year one, sprints + olympics in year two, sprint + olympic + xterra + HIM for season three, and you guessed it--planning on doing the full 140.6 this year. Actually I was going to put the full off until next year but got my name drawn out of the IronMan Lottery, so full it is.

I am pretty motivated to do this and make it a really cool experience. I will have to watch my training load to make sure that I do not burn out.

My race schedule is pretty ambitious as I was not originally planning on the IronMan until a week ago.

For whoever was asking, I am racing on May 14 at Rev3 Knoxville, doing the Olympic. Probably not quite in form yet but I am looking forward to a fun race weekend. I would love to meet up with fellow BTers there if anyone will be racing.

Enough for now. I hope to add to and be worthy of this group.

Jason
2011-04-27 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3470046

User image

Champion
Jason welcome aboard!

were you the one with the post about getting into hawaii through the lottery? If so that is awesome.

I've actually got one of my athletes racing at rev-3 knoxville (leegoocrap on here)
2011-04-27 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3470167

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I was one of them who posted. I can't believe they pulled my name out of the hat.

It is funny, I actually saw leegocrap at Cedar Point last year. I just didn't know it until a day after the race when he posted about his HTFU disk wheel. If he is using it in Knoxville he should be easy to find. I look forward to running into him.

Anyways, I am looking forward to using this group as a sounding board for the next five months of training and racing.

Jason (Adams)
2011-04-28 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3436046

New user

Australia

Hi

I am brand spanking new to the sport but would really like to become competitive.  I live in Aus. so winter is about to hit - but would like to join you as any info would be great and perhaps you all having the sun can shed some light my way?

My bio reads as - team sports backgrounds (scholarship for soccer and rep for netball/softball).  Competed in my first 'race' (ie. trained the distance at the gym going from one to another) and found out on the day - that the wind plays a biiiig role in how fast you can go (vs. in the sweet sourounds of the gym!).  However, am now hooked and have finished 4 enticer length races (with placings YAY)... and was with a squad.  I can't match their times for training so am doing it on my own again.. but would really like to chat about tris with other ppl competing (so that I don't drive my boss insane with it constantly!!)

Look forward to hearing from you

Michelle

2011-04-28 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3470592

User image

Champion
welcome michelle!

Don't worry i think we all drive peopel crazy with talking about it at some point or another;-)
2011-04-28 1:54 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

So, I don't know how these things work. Do we post about our goals, our workouts, our problems, and our questions?

My goal for April *was* to run 50 miles. I failed miserably due to, mostly, laziness. I just didn't make it happen. Eh. I'm not beating myself up about it. But I am setting a similar goal for May. The only reason I picked running and 50 miles, was that it's easier for me to get out and do a quick 3 mile run than it is to do any decent kind of bike ride. And swimming is out of the question until the lake opens at the end of May.

I picked 50 miles because it was just outside the do-able range, and I wanted to have the public goal to force me to get serious about training regularly.

Oops! That didn't work. Funny thing is, it never works. But I can't seem to remember that when I'm setting the goal in the first place. *This time* it's going to work!

So, yeah. I'm thinking about May. I'm thinking about whether I want to try to do a HIM in August. I'm thinking about what it's going to take to get my butt out there and actually training.

Any tips? Any advice? Anyone care to give me a swift kick in the heiny?

2011-04-28 3:13 PM

Ontario, Canada

Hi, I'm Christine and I'd like to be a triathlete. 

STORY:  I'm currently an inline speedskater who has a desire to add something different to my life.  I've raced inline for about 10 years and would be considered average.  I've podiumed in the smaller races and managed pb's in the larger races.  I'd like to continue skating cause I do love it, but I'm sort of at a crossroads where I'm tiring of the same old, same old at the races. 

I started running in the off-season two years ago just to stay in shape for skating and have completed a couple 5k races.  They were fun, BUT, not my favourite thing to do.  I was in Maui last November and rediscovered my love of swimming, but my swimming was okay at best so, when I got home I took some swimming lessons and am currently swimming a few times a week.  But, I gotta say, who knew how hard swimming was?  I mean, I've got great cardio but put me in the pool and I've a long way to go.

Anyway, I had a revelation a couple months back and "triathalon" came to mind.  I mean, I'm already running a bit, I'm swimming a bit and I've always liked to cycle.  And I'm sorta bored with the inline racing sooooooo I figured, why not spend 2011 doing a few inline races while training for a Triathalon of some sort in 2012.   So, I bought a bike and I'm gonna implement some cycling into my current training schedule.

GOALS:  Of course to lose a few pounds because I am probably carrying 10 extra and to become well-rounded so that I can spend next season racing tri's.

Anyway, is there room in the group??

Christine

Edited by Jewel22 2011-04-28 5:10 PM
2011-04-28 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3471778

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
madkat - 2011-04-28 11:54 AM

So, I don't know how these things work. Do we post about our goals, our workouts, our problems, and our questions?

My goal for April *was* to run 50 miles. I failed miserably due to, mostly, laziness. I just didn't make it happen. Eh. I'm not beating myself up about it. But I am setting a similar goal for May. The only reason I picked running and 50 miles, was that it's easier for me to get out and do a quick 3 mile run than it is to do any decent kind of bike ride. And swimming is out of the question until the lake opens at the end of May.

I picked 50 miles because it was just outside the do-able range, and I wanted to have the public goal to force me to get serious about training regularly.

Oops! That didn't work. Funny thing is, it never works. But I can't seem to remember that when I'm setting the goal in the first place. *This time* it's going to work!

So, yeah. I'm thinking about May. I'm thinking about whether I want to try to do a HIM in August. I'm thinking about what it's going to take to get my butt out there and actually training.

I have only raced sprint distance stuff, so take this w/ a grain of salt, but my only concern for the August HIM would be the amount of volume you may do in training and causing an injury increasing the amount of training time too quickly.  If you recover well and don't have any problem w/ doing a short(er) training plan then you will probably be fine.  But being lazy isn't the way to make that happen!  I find that being signed up for a race, whether foot, bike or tri, helps motivate me to get out and train when I don't want to.  Other than that, 12-16 weeks would be enough time to get you across the finish.

2011-04-28 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3470046

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

wannabefaster - 2011-04-27 4:21 PM planning on doing the full 140.6 this year. Actually I was going to put the full off until next year but got my name drawn out of the IronMan Lottery, so full it is.

That's some awesome motivation right there.  Congrats on the lotto slot!

2011-04-28 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3472059

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
shmeeg - 2011-04-28 1:25 PM 

I have only raced sprint distance stuff, so take this w/ a grain of salt, but my only concern for the August HIM would be the amount of volume you may do in training and causing an injury increasing the amount of training time too quickly.  If you recover well and don't have any problem w/ doing a short(er) training plan then you will probably be fine.  But being lazy isn't the way to make that happen!  I find that being signed up for a race, whether foot, bike or tri, helps motivate me to get out and train when I don't want to.  Other than that, 12-16 weeks would be enough time to get you across the finish.

Right? I mean, it certainly hasn't been working for me so far!

Actually, my biggest motivator is remembering the feeling of utter let-down after a race I had high hopes for but not enough training for. That feels way worse than the time I had to bail mid-race because of injury or equipment issues. Even worse than the 4 miles I had to run on horrid blisters, or 5 miles in 105 degree temps.

Thanks for the reminder. Time to get my running gear on. I *will* post a run workout this evening!

2011-04-28 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3472168

User image

Champion
In a broad sense we can do whatever you guys would like, ask questions, use the group as motivation to get out the door (when you have people checking logs you feel more accountable;-)

Once we get the group full i'll post some bigger training topics (ie how to improve run, race nutrition, etc, or anything else you guys have questions on). You can post questions, etc. Its a mini forum of the same people vs the main forum with a ton all over the place. We'll get to see how people improve and have a bit more personal talks about our training, life, etc.

You are on track with just getting out to get some short runs in. consistency will go a LONG way in helping you improve, and from there it's much easier to build up if you decide you want more volume.
2011-04-28 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3472242

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Well, tonight I absolutely don't feel like running but the plan calls for an hour. I am just putting it out there so if I don't do it you will all know. I like the idea of being held accountable. I have been pretty religious on my logs and don't mind at all if someone calls me on it if I am slacking.

So, I will be hitting the run tonight. No rest for the weary (or the wicked).

Jason

2011-04-28 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3472457

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

wannabefaster - 2011-04-28 5:54 PM Well, tonight I absolutely don't feel like running but the plan calls for an hour. I am just putting it out there so if I don't do it you will all know. I like the idea of being held accountable. I have been pretty religious on my logs and don't mind at all if someone calls me on it if I am slacking. So, I will be hitting the run tonight. No rest for the weary (or the wicked). Jason

I agree.  I have a couple friends on here from a past mentor group that give me that virtual a$$ kick when I haven't posted a workout in awhile.  Helps to know someone is watching!

2011-04-28 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3472027

User image

Champion
Jewel22 - 2011-04-28 2:13 PM

Hi, I'm Christine and I'd like to be a triathlete.

STORY: I'm currently an inline speedskater who has a desire to add something different to my life. I've raced inline for about 10 years and would be considered average. I've podiumed in the smaller races and managed pb's in the larger races. I'd like to continue skating cause I do love it, but I'm sort of at a crossroads where I'm tiring of the same old, same old at the races.

I started running in the off-season two years ago just to stay in shape for skating and have completed a couple 5k races. They were fun, BUT, not my favourite thing to do. I was in Maui last November and rediscovered my love of swimming, but my swimming was okay at best so, when I got home I took some swimming lessons and am currently swimming a few times a week. But, I gotta say, who knew how hard swimming was? I mean, I've got great cardio but put me in the pool and I've a long way to go.

Anyway, I had a revelation a couple months back and "triathalon" came to mind. I mean, I'm already running a bit, I'm swimming a bit and I've always liked to cycle. And I'm sorta bored with the inline racing sooooooo I figured, why not spend 2011 doing a few inline races while training for a Triathalon of some sort in 2012. So, I bought a bike and I'm gonna implement some cycling into my current training schedule.

GOALS: Of course to lose a few pounds because I am probably carrying 10 extra and to become well-rounded so that I can spend next season racing tri's.

Anyway, is there room in the group??

Christine

christine, welcome! I'm going to come ask more about hte inline later on.

2011-04-29 12:04 AM
in reply to: #3471778

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com

Have you selected a BT training program? May as well considering they're free, then you can log your actual vs. goal miles and keep track.

madkat - 2011-04-28 11:54 AM

Edited by jaclynembry 2011-04-29 12:20 AM
2011-04-29 4:26 AM

User image

Regular
Cairns - Australia

Hi David

Do you accept aussie triathletes, we are coming into winter but I live in North Queensland so we don't have a cold winter, so we do tri's now.  I have been doing tri's for nearly 10 years doing HIM's.  In June I will be competing in Challenge Cairns.

Liz

2011-04-29 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3472737

User image

Champion
liz welcome! You are the second aussie we have in the group!
2011-04-29 8:45 AM

User image

Gaithersburg

Hi David and Group!  I'm hoping you have room for one more.  I was in a mentoring group, unforunately the mentor no longer seems to be available, and I miss the support!

NAME: Nicole

STORY: I decided to start training for a triathlon last December when I was watching the cooking channel.  One of the chefs, who was overweight and significantly older than me (I'm 31), mentioned that he had successful run an ironman and lost about 70 lbs as a result of the training.  I wanted to get back into shape and took this as a sign that I should run a triathlon, not ironman length though!

I was an athlete growing up, primarily ice hockey and track, but stopped participating in sports regularly after a severe ankle injury (injury was not sports related) limited my mobility.

I've always loved biking and took swimming lessons for about 6 months last year to learn the "real" way to swim.  I thought that between those two adding in running might not be that be of a stretch

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm a married lesbian (been married almost 5 years), with three cats.  We all live in Virginia right outside of Washington, DC

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been training since January - started with the Couch to Sprint and am now doing a custom training to get up to Olympic lengths.  Regularity in my training is a weakness.  I really need to train at least five times a week, but usually only make it about three times a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I'm running a 5K tonight!

2011 RACES: Planning on doing an open water race Memorial Day weekend; my big race is an Olympic Triathlon in Culpepper, VA on July 30th.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm about 25 lbs overweight.  I've managed to lose 7lbs since I started training.

I really hope to be able to virtually train with all you!  I found that having a group of peers to talk with regularly kept me motivated.

Edited by nickgn71 2011-04-29 9:10 AM
2011-04-29 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Ok, question for those of you versed in such things.  My bikes were stolen and I am replacing them.  I think w/ the amount of commuting and roadie riding I plan on doing, I am going to dump all the $ into a single road bike this time and get a TT frame at the end of the year.  I want to keep training w/ power and I want a deep(er) wheelset and I can't decide which way to go.  I get a pretty good deal on Zipp and SRAM wheels so I was lookin at a set of 404 aluminum clinchers w/ Powertap SL+ that I would get pretty quick.  If I go w/ a SRM or Quarq PM, there is a lengthy wait because nobody has a compact w/ the correct crank arm length for me in stock.  If I got the crank based system, obviously I have the ability to put any wheels on the bike, but I would ride the 404s as an all purpose wheel so there would be no need to swap anything out.   I need some outside influence here. Happy Friday!

2011-04-29 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I'd definitely like to be in this group if you can spare one more.  First of all, I gotta get myself back into training.  My excuses are starting to pile up a little too much.  I was in the best shape of my life back in the summer of 2008, lost some interest after the New Orleans HIM in 2009, had some injuries, blah, blah, blah... I just need a swift kick.  Also, I need a swift kick to get my camera back out.  I have a feeling the warm weather and the gators will help, but I've secretly stalked the photo contest threads, and had even posted in a few of the first ones.

NAME: sesh/Bill

STORY: Major knee surgery in 2005, rehabbed, and jumped right in with the Madis Gras marathon in 2007 being my first endurance event.  A local mini-sprint that same year was my first ever tri, and now I'm actually going on my second year of being race director for it.  I've done a handful of sprints, olys, and half marathons.  Did the New Orleans half iron in 2009.  Lost my bike off my car rack after a race in May last year.  Got all whiny and bummed out, coasted to almost a halt.  Finally got a new bike, started training again, tore a back muscle.  That healed up... sprained an ankle.  But I'm healthy now and just looking for a kick.  Feel like I'm starting over almost.

I am primarily a swimmer, and I've started to find some solace in that.  I've coached a good number of beginners through some local programs and might even be looking at starting up a little tri swim coaching biz (for a little extra beer money) on the side.  So, even if I fall flat on my face with my training, I'll stick around to help anyone out with swim advice.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 2.5 years, no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: Run focused sprint tri training.... sort of.  It's a three swims, three bikes, and four runs a week goal.  Runs will actually be building toward marathon training by the end of the year, bikes will be Oly training focused distances (50 max), and swims will just be my standard quest to find my form from two years ago and get even better. I just call it sprint training because I'm only going to race sprints.

2010 RACES: 1 sprint, lost my bike, whined the rest of 2010 away.

2011 RACES:  None so far.  Got three sprints planned and a marathon the first week of Jan. 2012 I'm wanting to do.

WEIGHTLOSS: raced at 155 in 2008.  Sitting here at 170 right now.  Would like to maintain around 160 and kill that last five when getting ready for big races.

2011-04-29 11:43 AM

Ontario, Canada

Well, since it appears that I'm part of the group, I'll add a little more info about myself.

I'm 51, gonna be 52 in a couple months.  Happily married for just over 25 years, no children.  My hubby is also an inline speedskater, but whereas I'm average, he's not.  He wins.  I place.

My current training has basically just been to stay fit throughout the winter while waiting for the inline season, but now that I've decided I'd like to try a tri, I've added swimming twice weekly and as soon as I get my bike I'll add cycling to the mix. 

I currently work out 6 days a week for a total of 8 workouts.  On the days I swim, I do what I call my circuit which is basically 10 minutes running then some weights/some plyos/kickboxing drill all times 3.  Then later in the day I'll swim for about 40 minutes or so depending on time.  On the other days I'll either run, walk or row, depending on how my legs are. 

When skating season kicks in I'll be skating 5 or 6 times a week doing the usual long, slow skates, interval skates, hill skates and hopefully running two, cycling two and swimming two.  Yeah I know ... it's waaaaaaay too much and something has to give.  That is why this year I'm going to still be racing inline (3 or 4 races) while I ready myself slowly for a tri.  I know I'm gonna have to back off on some of the workouts. 

One thing though, the beauty of inline is that apparently cycling is the best crosstraining tool for it.  At least according to my skating friends, some of which are considered the best of the best, so I figure they do know and that should be a win-win for both my inline and my cycling. 

I guess I'll just have to figure out the rest.  I need to sit down and put together a training schedule.  Once I do that I will follow it.  I'm good at that.  My only issue is I do have some problems with my lower back and my left knee.  Nothing major, but sometimes these things kick in and well, my PT loves me.

I welcome any advice about my training plans. 

Edited by Jewel22 2011-04-29 11:47 AM
2011-04-29 11:59 AM

Hi! I know it's a little late in the game, but I'm looking to join the group!

NAME: callijohnson/ Calli

STORY: COMPLETE NEWBIE!!! I'm down near Charlotte, NC and AM SO READY FOR SUMMER. Have done track/x country/soccer/swim team, etc. throughout high school and now in college, but never put all of the training together! Never done competitive cycling but love biking in general, so am confident about that aspect. I was a lifeguard and competitive swimmer all throughout high school/college. Though I've done running and competed, I suffered a hip injury in high school and have never been quite as good since then. It's frustrating, and I'm looking to recoup a lot of my lost activity stemming from that. I have become really sedentary (since having my son a year ago) and HATE IT. While I am super busy (applying to law school, finishing undergrad, all while being a mom), I need something to get me back into my previous active lifestyle and this is the opportunity I've been looking for! I'm very interested in improving my running with any advice and/or methods that I can learn about. I've done it since h.s. but never really looked into all of the scientific aspects of it!

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with a 1 year old kid.

CURRENT TRAINING: I swim pretty much nonstop throughout the year and love every second. I'm a fish. I haven't been on a bike probably for 2 years now but biking isn't what I'm worried about... I loathe running. HATE training for it, but LOVE the things it does to get my body in shape! So, this season is pretty much going to be the start of my (real) training and I will probably save most events until next season when I feel confident enough to compete.

2010 RACES: 0.

2011 RACES:  I'll be concentrating on strictly training during this season and getting amped up for 2012!

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm on the opposite side of most people's spectrum. When I'm not active, I still like to LOOK thin, so I eat less (no calorie deficit, just breaking even). Therefore, yes... I'm at a healthy weight, but I have very little physical stamina from being inactive since my son was born! This is the main area where I want to improve. Get in shape and build muscle mass but have fun doing it!!!

2011-04-29 12:02 PM

Hi! I know it's a little late in the game, but I'm looking to join the group!

NAME: callijohnson/ Calli

STORY: COMPLETE NEWBIE!!! I'm down near Charlotte, NC and AM SO READY FOR SUMMER. Have done track/x country/soccer/swim team, etc. throughout high school and now in college, but never put all of the training together! Never done competitive cycling but love biking in general, so am confident about that aspect. I was a lifeguard and competitive swimmer all throughout high school/college. Though I've done running and competed, I suffered a hip injury in high school and have never been quite as good since then. It's frustrating, and I'm looking to recoup a lot of my lost activity stemming from that. I have become really sedentary (since having my son a year ago) and HATE IT. While I am super busy (applying to law school, finishing undergrad, all while being a mom), I need something to get me back into my previous active lifestyle and this is the opportunity I've been looking for! I'm very interested in improving my running with any advice and/or methods that I can learn about. I've done it since h.s. but never really looked into all of the scientific aspects of it!

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with a 1 year old kid.

CURRENT TRAINING: I swim pretty much nonstop throughout the year and love every second. I'm a fish. I haven't been on a bike probably for 2 years now but biking isn't what I'm worried about... I loathe running. HATE training for it, but LOVE the things it does to get my body in shape! So, this season is pretty much going to be the start of my (real) training and I will probably save most events until next season when I feel confident enough to compete.

2010 RACES: 0.

2011 RACES:  I'll be concentrating on strictly training during this season and getting amped up for 2012!

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm on the opposite side of most people's spectrum. When I'm not active, I still like to LOOK thin, so I eat less (no calorie deficit, just breaking even). Therefore, yes... I'm at a healthy weight, but I have very little physical stamina from being inactive since my son was born! This is the main area where I want to improve. Get in shape and build muscle mass but have fun doing it!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14