General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deciding between 3 Profile Design aero bars...need some help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-09 7:59 PM

User image

Subject: Deciding between 3 Profile Design aero bars...need some help

Hey everyone,

I am going to be purchasing some aero bars here in the near future and I am looking at the 3 carbon fiber makes from Profile Design. It seems as though they all have a little bit different shape to them, but I don't have any clue how that translates into riding position or feel on the bike. If anyone has any insight on how to differentiate these or could make a recommendation on one it'd certainly help me make a more informed purchasing decision! Thanks!

-IA Husker

2011-04-09 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3438025

User image

Columbia
Subject: RE: Deciding between 3 Profile Design aero bars...need some help
Not sure what your needs are for cable routing but that would be a consideration for myself. After that it is all about the comfort, for me at least. The T2 Plus Cobra would strain my wrist to the point of pain. When I used clip-ons it was the PD Airstryke which for me worked well on my roadie. Now that I am on a dedicated Tri-bike I use Vision TT bars that allow for a relaxed hand position. My wrists are Smile !
2011-04-09 8:20 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Looks to me like Viper and Stryke are ski bend and Cobra is S bend. I prefer the S bend.
2011-04-09 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Choosing between R bend (the straighter kind) and S bend (ski-jump style) is about wrist comfort.

I used R bends for five years and they just weren't comfortable on long events.  I used Vision S-bend bars in my recent rebuild of my P3's cockpit, and they are far more comfortable. 

2011-04-09 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
I have only tried one, the Carbon Stryke.  I love them, very customizable for fit and very comfortable.  They were my first and only thus far.
2011-04-10 12:26 AM

User image

Thanks for the input guys! 

2011-04-10 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3438225

User image

New user
Madison, WI
I prefer the T2 style bars (are we calling those S-bend?) though the first time I rode with them I finished and thought "my wrists are sore". But I've not noticed anything since that first time. And I find that the S-bend style gives me more positions to use when I choke up on the bars, which I often take advantage of on uphills. I also like that I can pull 'up' more at the end of the bar if I'm using the S-bend bars instead of the ski-tip bars.

I like ski-tip bend bars just fine, though I prefer the flatter curve of the VisionTech bars over the Profiles, which I find a little too vertical.

Also, I've found I prefer the aluminum T2 over the carbon T2. I had trouble keeping the elbow pads in place on the carbon bars--- I'd hit a pothole with my weight on the elbow pads and they'd rotate down until they hit the base bar. At the recommended torque spec for the bolts on the elbow pad support, I couldn't make it 5 miles without them slipping. (I did use the carbon grip paste.) If I tightened the bolts well past the torque spec, I could reduce the slipping to a rare event, but I switched back to the aluminum T2 to avoid the hassle. I don't use bar tape on the aerobars and I like the texture on the aluminum bars; the carbon bars are slippery! I'm not even sure the carbon version weighs less than the aluminum version.

Edited by markharms234 2011-04-10 2:07 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deciding between 3 Profile Design aero bars...need some help Rss Feed