General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Tri vs. PT Solutions Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-11 8:42 PM

User image

Kennesaw
Subject: My First Tri vs. PT Solutions Tri
I am trying to make a decision about which one I should do.  I live in Kennesaw, so PT Solutions would be closer, by My First Tri sounds comforting for a newbie.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

2011-04-11 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3441231

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: My First Tri vs. PT Solutions Tri
I understand how doing your first race with tri veterans would be "intimidating" but it's a great opportunity to learn.  You can see how they setup their stuff, what people in the waves ahead of you do, etc.  There are "newbies" at every triathlon so it's not like you'd be the only one.  I didn't do a newbie triathlon as my first but I would kind of think it'd be more hectic. 
2011-04-11 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

Hmmm, tough one but here's my 2 cents.  Same race director so hard to argue there.  I'll list the pro's/con's as I see it.  Feel free to add/ignore.  fwiw, I am biased living in Acworth....so the choice is easy for me.

PT Tri. Pro = <15 minutes from house (fan club) + not have to get up as early and fight the pre-race jitters, chance to easily drive the bike course and get a feel for it (maybe ride it), Dallas Landing where the PT group swims starting in May so you can get a feel for the water/surroundings.  Con = first year for race but basically same location as the Womens August sprint, a little pricier but the extra drive to Lanier from Kennesaw makes that neutral at best.  More likely some veterans but with a sprint, I'd bet >30% would be the first or second race as well so have comfort there. 

My first tri - others more qualified can comment on the pro's/cons.

2011-04-12 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
No idea about the PT Tri, so I will not remark.

The My first Tri, are you talking about My First/My Next Triathlon at Lake Lanier? Race date is 06/4 or something like that?

If you are talking about MF/MX, that is a decent race. Last year they split it into two days, Saturday and Sunday. The Sunday race was on the leaner side, with the majority of racers on Saturday.

Nonetheless, IMHO a good overall race. They have changed/updated the course every year which has improved the overall race/course. The swim is 400 meters along the beach, so you can swim in shallow water if you want. Long run to T1, but fast transition setup. Bike course is flat with some rollers, and only one climb on the out. Biking in and out of the park is the coolest part of the day with all the new bridges, etc., IMO. The run last year was nice, flatesh with rollers. The RD has improved the organization year over year, so it is a decently run race. The only speedbump last year was waiting for the awards. They wanted to wait until everyone was finished, so by the time they started the leaders had been finished for 1:30-2:00 (as I recall). It was hot that day, and my prego wife was over standing around in the heat. Overall, I thought it was a nice little race.

Hope that helps. Feel free to read my RR from last year if you want a better idea of the course.
2011-04-12 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

Hi Meredith! I'm Jules from FB.

Just wanted to mention that there are lots of sprint tris around. The Acworth Women's Tri in August is a sprint and worth trying out. As I recall from the tris in my 20s lots of ages and shapes and conditions are out there for their first tri at just about any sprint. But it's up to you as to what makes you feel comfortable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Tri vs. PT Solutions Tri Rss Feed