General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tubular tires latex inner tubes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-13 9:12 PM

Subject: tubular tires latex inner tubes

purchased a zipp tangent 700x21 tubular for my favorite carbon rim(front) after flating the continentel that came with it. Love the tire but will only stay at full pressure for a day before it trails off in psi. spoke to the shop they said that is normal for latex. My concern is if I let the tire go below 40 psi I think it will compromise the glue job. So I pump it up every 2 days. Am I thinking to much or is this a real concern?

2011-04-14 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3445574

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: tubular tires latex inner tubes
Pretty normal for a latex tube to lose 20-30+ psi a day. Same happens to my Vittorias. You definitely need to pump them up before every ride, even if you ride daily. As for glue holding, that really depends on the glue application. If the glue was put on correctly, you should not have a lot of issues w/ the tube separating from the rim, even if deflated for a long period of time. If in doubt, test the tube bond by tugging on it when mostly deflated. Bigger issues can develop based on where/how you store the tire when not in use. If you don't ride them frequently (e.g. race tires), best bet is to remove wheels from bike and store in dark, cool place. Hang them on a wall. Light and heat...bad.
2011-04-16 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3445574

Subject: RE: tubular tires latex inner tubes
i keep next to my bed. sad i know.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tubular tires latex inner tubes Rss Feed