General Discussion Triathlon Talk » This stupid weigth loss issue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-20 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: This stupid weigth loss issue
"Do it for health and the weight will come off" Blah, blah, blah.. ya know what? I WANT THE WEIGHT OFF! I am tired of it. I am tired of hauling my thighs around when I run and being slowed by it. I am SICK of it.. 188 is a whole lot better than the 320 that I was but still. I WANT TO GET THE REST OF THE FREAKING BABY WEIGHT FROM HERNE OFF! NOW!

I want to be 160. I was 209 in April and I am now 188. SLOOOOW too slow for the mental will to sustain the deficit some days. I went to the endo. She seems to think that I may be insulin reisistant and while I know there are no magic pills I suspect she is right because of the hypoglycemia I have had for years (if I don't eat breakfast it would be best to avoid me like the plague at around 11 am). She put me on Glucophage and told me if it was insulin resistance I would see some changes and if it wasn't then it is my metabolism and I would have to deal. Great.

So I went on my glucophage on Thursday and we shall see. I am also more careful about eating more often during the day. I am also monitoring my calories. 2000 a day. End of story. I can eat what I want within reason but try to stay away from simple sugars unless I am having some Gu like product while training. I also am back on the Chealated Iron because I stopped it and became anemic again right away (a week). I also started CLA yesterday and we shall see with that too. Mostly I am trying to balance the calories with my energy needs and GET THIS WEIGHT OFF.

I don't want thin. I will NEVER be thin. I want 160lbs. A nice size 14 and my 10 minute miles back.

Thanks for listening.

2005-08-20 8:22 AM
in reply to: #229448

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: This stupid weigth loss issue
I'm sympathetic. I haven't dropped the kind of weight you have, but lost almost 40 pounds last year down to 193ish from 231.5 January 04. I'm 46 years old

I've been stuck in the mid 190's for this entire year. Eating at a deficit (around 2000 cal) for the most part.

I don't buy the "throw the scales away" line. This IS about the weight for me. But I keep reminding my self that I didn't put this weight on in one year or even two, what makes me think I can take it off that fast.

The other reminder that helps me, is that this has to be a permanent lifestyle change. NOT a diet which means that this whole thing has to be something I can stick with. That sometimes means a slower weight loss.

Hang in there.
2005-08-20 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I feel your pain.

It's taken me 3 months to lose 10 pounds, and I am not at a svelte 188 either.  You'd think that after not exercising for 9 months that at least the first few months back into it, you'd see some dramatic changes wouldn't you?

Nope.  No.  Nada.

You've lost 20 pounds in 5 months.  So, you're at about 1 lb a week loss, I think you are doing great.  Yeah, you're on the low end of losing weight but at least you ARE losing weight, somewhat steadily.  At least you've got a formula that seems to be working, albeit not very fast.  Look at it this way.  By the time you hit next April, assuming you keep up the slow and steady pace you'll be at that 160 you want to be at.  You'll be at the beginning of your next season, and you'll be ready to rock.

Some people can go out and run 8 minute miles without trying.  Other people have to work and work at it just to get to 13 minute miles.  Same for biking and swimming.  I work my butt off in the pool, but my sister can blow me away and she doesn't even swim as part of her regular routine - drives me crazy.

I've decided that some people are "fast" losers - they can go out there and the weight just drops off and wow, this is great.  Some people aren't.  Some people have to work really hard for every single ounce gone.  I think it's important to accept that you're not a fast loser - otherwise you tend to sabotage yourself.  Okay, at least *I* have sabotaged myself in the past.

I've found that this time around (yeah, I've been here before, hopefully this will be the LAST time) a few things.

(1) Only weigh in once a week.  Yeah, it IS about the scale, but weighing in every day will drive you extremely insane.  It's up, it's down, it's up, it's down - I think scales have an evil conspiracy going on.

(2) I used to "reward" myself for 10 pounds lost - but man, that was so frustrating cause it took forever, and then I didn't feel like I was making progress at all.  I changed that - now I "reward" myself for doing good with my training that month.  I've got my eye on a bike computer for August.  Something to work towards, and something that is totally under my control, unlike the scale.

(3) I vent - I didn't do that before and I think it dragged me down - it bites, sometimes it really sucks and telling someone about it sure does make you feel better.  Sometimes on my blog I whine a lot.

So - hope you feel better now that you've vented.  You're getting there!

2005-08-20 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Yeah, yeah CAdreamer I hear ya.. however.. My cruise is in October and I am going to be in running clothes or nekkid if I don't get 10 more *($&)#&$)#& pounds off. Which is not as silly as it sounds really. I have all these clothes that are amazing that I want to wear again and I REFUSE to buy new clothes when I have clothes just 10-20 lbs away! OK I will not be nekid on formal night cause I am designing the dresses and have the fabric, I just have to sew it. Still all in all I would love to wear my kahki shorts and my black and white surf shorts etc. I know it's petty, I get that. I know that in the end I would rather lose it for life, talk to the hand.. I just want to wear my stupid cute little outfits again!

Yes I am whining, yes I am... I even could use some cheese to go with the whine. I am totally 100% whiny and bitchy and grumpy about it and my attitude STINKS! It won't always. I swear and avow that in a day or so I will feel better about Nancy. Today however it's raining and I can't ride my bike and the scale is not moving.
2005-08-21 1:53 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Why is it petty?  It is NOT petty so don't say that about yourself! I lost all my weight over about  a year, in bits and pieces.  Started with WW, lost a bunch, then didn't lose any more.  A few months later, the motivation came back and I lost some more and started running more consistently.  And then I started tri training and that was it.

Oh, one other thing I did -I was on Wellbutrin.  It is an antidepressant that is also an appetite suppressant.  That helped ALOT!!!  It does not have sexual side effects and it is not addictive or speed-like.  I was depressed, but mostly because I was fat and hated it.  So it worked for me. I stayed on it for a year.

Jessica

2005-08-21 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Oh Nancy you and I could be twins.........scales anonymous and all   I am frustrated with being on a wieght loss plateau for a year..hell its not a plateau its a freaking CLIFF.  I've done WW...got dizzy as they only gave 1200-1400 cal a day..low carb...south beach...you name it..I lost a bunch of weight before I started tri training and maybe 5# or so since...not much for a year of busting my butt.  I'm sick of it.  HOWEVER...after a few crisies with my family I have come to accept that somethimes there are other more important things in life and I was wasting way too much time and energy obsessing over my weight.  I would love for the pounds to just fall off (don't you hate it when people say that?  Make me want to puke..maybe that would be good...just kidding) But I'm trying to take it one day at a time now.  a pound a week is cool....I would love to lose a pound a week...You are doing fine.  Try not to beat yourself up so much and take care -SMO

2005-08-21 6:22 PM

New user
Fremont Calif
I have lost 17 pounds this year but have been at a plateau for the past two monts. People keep telling me that I must be gaining muscle weight. I don't completely buy that, but I know it is partially true. Still I'd rather be losing some more also.
2005-08-21 7:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Hey...I am there too.

I lost 70-75 pounds in two years, then started Tri training and have gained  back 5 pounds. I have been about the same weight for 15 months...I go up and down within about 5 pounds. Geez when I was lazy and did nothing, I lost weight in the beginning 2-3 pounds a week, then after 4 months of first starting to lose weight I started doing weights and my weight loss slowed down.

I went and saw Nancy Clark the sports nutritionist who advertises here on BT...changed how I eat...much healthier, but not losing. I had done the low carb thing for 2 years...and now I eat carbs. I think I am more sensitve to carbs than most people, but I need them to do workouts. It sucks to workout hard and as much as I (we) do and not lose weight at all or faster.

Nancy..I wish I could lose 1 pound a week...but having a deadline makes it harder to accept the slow pace. It is our 20th anniversary in 6 weeks. My husband is taking me where ever I want...Greece or Austrilia but I said next March...hidden agenda...want to lose more weight.

2005-08-21 7:33 PM
in reply to: #230095

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Kathy your post cracked me up. You are waiting for a weight loss to go on vacation. Souds like me.

Now I am going to chew you out. Please forgive me because normally I want you to chew me out and you are a guru.

Life is short. My mom and I waited to go on a trip when I was 16. We kept putting it off (Africa) forever. We just had other priorities and pressing issues. The last thing was my being cast in the Sound of Music at school. One night I waited for her to pick me up from practice for over an hour. I called home and the phone was busy. I called on the other line and found out my Mom had been hit by a car and was in the hospital. I got there and could not see her because they were working on her. 4 hours later my Mom died. I never got the trip and I never got that special time with her. I put off so many things in my life until I was "thin". Well I am not thin, never gonna be thin. Don't really want to be "thin" either.

Go to Austrailia or Greece. Go soon. Go while you are together after 20 years and go with your 5lbs and your thighs and eat and drink (if you do) and make merry cause tomorrow is not a promise for anyone.

OK I am crying now so I am getting offline.

I will still think you are a guru if you wait to lose the pounds too.
2005-08-21 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I've lost 5 or 6 pounds and leveled off. I've seen changes in inches and times but I still would like to drop the pounds. I was gone to CA for 5 days and I was thankful I didn't gain the pounds back.

I agree with Nancy on not putting things off. Going for the knee pain I had to being able to do many things again post knee replacements has given me a new lookout on life.

Having gone through a divorce and watching my kids grow up has REALLY made me realize do it now as you may not have another chance. That may sound depressing but the depression comes when you look back and wish it were different.

That is why I will keep pressing on thorugh thick and thin. I did a ride tonight that started out great but I died after the turnaround. I had been sick to my stomach yesterday, flew all night home and was really tired. I almost talked myself out of the ride. Every time I workout when I really don't I realize that is one more time the woulda, coulda's and should's aren't going to win.

Hang in there it is well worth it in the end.
2005-08-22 4:45 AM
in reply to: #230205

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Well hikergerb you wrote me that your trip to the airport was.. shall we say colorful? Yep that's a word. Lots of trips to the quickie mart. I would love to know what you ate out there?

2005-08-22 7:18 AM
in reply to: #230252

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I beleive it was an onion overload. I love onions but if they aren't cook I let's just say I make friends at all the restrooms between point a and b.

Thursday I had some great kung Poa chicken (my favorite). It had lots of onion. Friday I had a grilled chicken sandwich with a big slab of raw onion on it (gluttotn for punishment I am). Sat before the beach we had a great pizza that had HUGE pieces of semi cooked onion (my stomach is rolling just thinking about it). Maybe getting sick like that is why I didn't gain any wieght over the whole trip! I'm always looking for that silver lining!
2005-08-22 7:38 AM
in reply to: #230321

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Oh my gosh. I just thought of a way to fund your triathlon habit. Write the Onion Weight Loss Diet. You will be RICH BEYOND YOUR WIlDEST DREAMS! I don't get the weight loss industry. "eat less exercise more". That's the secret. OK it is pathetically slow for me but honestly. People just want a pill. I am about to get started and I don't want to do that when I have a ton of sewing to do

EAT LESS, EXERCISE MORE! Stop buying pills that don't work! $143 bucks a bottle for some pill on TV.. grrrrr
2005-08-22 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I'll have to run (no pun intended) that one past my wife! I can see it now. "Honey, I am going on the Raw Onion Diet. For breakfast I have to eat one raw onion. Then I put my mileage in running back and forth the bathroom!"

With twop teenage girls in the house (meaning we are two bathrooms short) I would be in BIG trouble when they have them both "occupied" while doing thier girly things. (They put make up on in one and dry thier hair in another I just don't get it!)

Good luck on the sewing.
2005-08-22 8:31 AM
in reply to: #230363

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Think of it as an experiement in tolerance and sharing for your daughters! This can be a bonding experience for all of you! Well maybe not you since no one will get within a mile of you.. lol
2005-08-22 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I like that - bonding experience. I thought that was when the 17 year old says, "Dad, I hear a funny noise and I think I am having a tire problem." When I go out to the car there is a LARGE screw sticking in the tire! Bonding time!

Sometimes I think that is why they "Occupy" like a conqueoring army the bathrooms figuring nobody could "pollute" thier domain that way.

The guys at work don't like the raw onion diet thing either.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » This stupid weigth loss issue Rss Feed