General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » So Cal Tri noob.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-20 5:36 PM

User image

South Bay
Subject: So Cal Tri noob....

Hello, my name is Juice(yes its a nickname). I am 27, 6' and 200lbs.  Growing up i played soccer and baseball, and was always active on bikes of some sort. Although i love playing soccer and played midfield, i hate running just to run. I was always in the water whenever possible be it friends pools, the beach bodyboarding, or lake/river, but never put laps in just to swim. Over the last couple years i had started riding my mtb a lot just along the beach, anywhere from 6 to 35 mile rides, i can ride a bike all day long if i wanted to.

About a year ago i strained the mcl in my left knee, no need for surgery, but just keeping my off my feet i went from 195lbs up to 220 in about six months. It was time to make a change. Started putting in more intense mountain bike rides, and joined LA Fitness to start swimming and playing raquetball. After a while decided i might as well lift weights to build strength for motorcross riding.

A couple months ago i finally decided, its time to tri a tri. I ahd some friends do the Wildflower OLY distance a few years ago and they had a blast, so the MTB course is something i would eventually like to do. In the meantime i have registered for my first tri being the CSULB Reverse Sprint on May 8th. 5k run 20k ride 400m swim in the pool. I didnt actually start running until a couple weeks ago, i had a set back to my start after destroying both my shins in a mtb crash. Now that i am running my best time for a 5k has been 28 minutes...1 time. usually averaging about 35min due to side stitches and having to walk/stretch them out, as well as overall run endurance. My most recent swim which was last night doing a brick, i was trying to go complete distances of the tri but it got too dark on the ride, 3 mile run, 8 mile ride, 400 m in the pool after not cooling down too much was about 10 minutes with some minor breaks.

On a 40 mile ride recently on a loaner road bike i was able to keep a pace of 18mph, flat for the most part with about 14 miles of more rolling terrain.

What kinda of times would be resonable to shoot for in my runs and swims?

Thanks in advance, and i look forward to learning a lot, and participating in many tri's

Juice

2011-04-21 5:20 AM
in reply to: #3457486

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: So Cal Tri noob....

Well, I personally never did a reverse tri, but they sound interesting. The only time you have for a 5k is 28 mins, so you can either approve on that or get worse. So we are starting at 28 mins, lets say at least 1-2 Mins for T1 that brings us to ~30, Depending on your speed riding and the distance of 12.4 miles, and doing 18mph as you stated that will bring you in 41'19", now T2, lets say 1-2 again, that brings us to a total time of ~01:12:00, depending on how fast your swim per 100 yards you could be done I'd say ~01:22:00 

Good luck!

Scott

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » So Cal Tri noob.... Rss Feed