General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this a good value in bikes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-21 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
Subject: Is this a good value in bikes?
I have been lusting after a tri bike for some time, but most of the "worthy" stuff is way beyond my price range. However, two events occured today that have given me much food for thought:
1) TriSports has a K2 t-Nine frameset for $800.
2) A guy in my club is willing to sell his 2002 Giant TCR with Easton 90 fork, full Dura Ace, Mavic Helium Wheels or Rolf Comp wheels, plus extras (some of which I don't need but could sell) for $1100.

I checked, and a brand new Dura Ace spec comes to at least $1000. Would it be a value to buy the Giant just for the parts and put them on the K2 frameset? I'm not too good at scoping out value (I often miss something obvious), but it seems to my untrained eye I could possible get a very good bike for about $2000. OR, is there a better or equal value out there in a new bike, backed by a warranty or such? Would I be better off to wait and accumulate the extra thou or so, or is this a deal too good to pass up??

Respond soon! I'm afraid someone else will snatch this bike.

2005-08-21 9:49 PM
in reply to: #230151

User image

Regular
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Is this a good value in bikes?
Does the bike fit? Fit is most important. How much money do you have to spend? What are your measurements? Do you have a long torso etc.
the 1000-2000 dollar range varies greatly from 105 to ultegra and a little over 2grand you can get a new dura ace felt. If your looking for a tri specific bike cervelo soloist is a good deal at that price range.
2005-08-22 12:16 AM
in reply to: #230178

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
uwmswimr - 2005-08-21 8:49 PM

Does the bike fit? Fit is most important. How much money do you have to spend? What are your measurements? Do you have a long torso etc.
the 1000-2000 dollar range varies greatly from 105 to ultegra and a little over 2grand you can get a new dura ace felt. If your looking for a tri specific bike cervelo soloist is a good deal at that price range.

I paid $1250 for a new Motobecane Century Pro on ebay. It has full Ultegra parts and the exact Kinesium frame that some of the higher end Felt bikes have. The closest bike I could find in a shop was a $2100 trek, which weighs 2 lbs more (I had both weighed on the scales). They also sell them on www.bikesdirect.com for a little more. There's also a full Dura Ace version that costs a bit more, but is still a bargain.
2005-08-22 1:03 AM
in reply to: #230151

User image

New user
Alberta(think texas with snow.)
Giants are incredible to ride. Getting into high end compenents is, in my eyes, the most important thing(after fit)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this a good value in bikes? Rss Feed