United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 59s
Overall Rank = 121/232
Age Group = 35-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up on Friday afternoon. Picked up race packet at the school where there was a pre race Spaghetti Dinner to raise money for a local athlete injured in a snowmobile crash in the winter. It seemed like the entire town turned up. This was to be typical of the support for the race. Then took a drive out to check the cycle course. Rolling hills with some nice flat bits, looked like a good beginners course. Thatwas until I saw the climb up into town for the finish. I thought this might just feel like Alpe d'Huez! Was in bed by 10 pm.
Event warmup:

Had a light breakfast of a bowl of cheerios and headed out to the race It was first come first served for T1 places. I was there about 7 am. One hour before the start and still got a pretty decent spot. Like it would make any difference to me! The race was undersubscribed when it came to Biffys so I was in a line for 20 mins for a pee.
I jogged a few blocks took the bike for a ride for about a mile or so. Then went down to check the water. The sun was starting to come out. The water didn't feel too bad, certainly warmer than the pool I had done most of my swimming in. I was feeling quite good. No sign of nerves so I made my first mistake. I decided to go without my wetsuit. Thwen just before the start I took on a Gu.
Swim
  • 13m 5s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started off OK. I certainly went off fast. I was very comfortable until the turn. I made it to the buoy turned left, and the glare from the sun was so bad I could hardly see anything. By the time I got to the second buoy I was 20 or so yards adrift of it. It was then panic set in and I had to take a break and called out for a helper on a jet ski so I could cling on and get my bearings. I waited a cuople of minutes and then slowly set out for shore. The last 150 yards were agony. To prove the fact that I went off fast my swim time even with a 2 minute hang on to the jet ski was only a minute slower than in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Obviously I would have worn my wetsuit. I think the added bouyancy from it would have given me more confidence. I wasn't to know that the glare was to be so bad that I would lost all sense of direction
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

The climb from the lake up to T1 was steep. But I ran up there fairly well. I put my socks shoes and helmet on pretty easily. I unclipped my bike and headed out. As I pushed my bike out I could hear something binding on the front wheel. Some how the brake pads had got messed around and were binding. I took a while to get that sorted to my satisfaction.

I don't know. The bike was fine when I rode it in the warm up.
Bike
  • 46m 37s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew the bike was going to be my best discipline I was right. From the moment I started riding I started to pass people. Uphill downhill it didn't matter. I passed plenty. That felt darned good after the swim debacle. Though the roads weren't closed they were quiet. The morning had warmed up beautifully. Even when we got out into the country people had parked their cars and were watching. It was fantastic to round a corner in the middle of nowhere and to be cheered on by 10 or so people. From mile 7 to the finish the miles flew by. Even the "alpe d'huez" into town wasn't as bad as I thought it was and with loads of townfolk by the side of the road cheering you on. I felt great. I should have gone faster.

Get a new bike and ride it harder!
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Can't complain. Jumped of the bike and started running in one fluid motion. I left the person who had to stop and unclip her feet standing. I took off my helmet picked up a Gu and a flask of Powerade and started running. Calves as usual took a while to get going.

Have the Gu already in my back pocket.
Run
  • 29m 14s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Calves took until at least mile 1 to feel right. That slowed me down considerably. Run was all to brief really to formulate an opinion on how I felt. The sun was now getting up a bit and things were warming up. Luckily the overhanging tree branches on the return of the run sheltered you. Had plenty of strength left for a huge sprint to the finish line infront of a couple of hundred cheering people !

Run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Picked up my medal, a powerade and a banana did some quick stretches and got a few moments to bask in my own personal glory before my wife and the rest of my "fan club" turned up to tell me how wonderful I was.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The shock of the swim

Event comments:

Am I happy? Hmmm. I got to achieve my dream of doing a Triathlon which is more than the 69 no shows or DNF's did. So I am happy there. But I really wanted to come in in under 1:30 and I I hadn't panicked on the swim and fiddled with my bike in T1 I would have done it.
Still. with a friendly town and a well organised race. I'll be registering in January next year. I think the rest of you Minnesotans should too...

Last updated: 2004-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:05 | 440 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/232
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Simple out and back in Lake belle Taine in an anti clockwise direction. This was to try and minimise any problem with glare from the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:37 | 14 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Overall: 102/232
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills with some nice flat stretches
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:14 | 03.2 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 136/232
Performance: Average
Course: Flat asphalt cycle trail on an old railroad trackbed.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-02-11 12:00 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: Northwoods Triathlon

2004-08-16 9:44 AM
in reply to: #19388

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Northwoods Triathlon
GREAT JOB Ian!! Congratulations on your finish! I panicked in my first swim too; I think nearly everyone does at some point. Now you'll be all set for next year!

Kelly
2004-08-16 12:29 PM

Regular
Minneapolis
Wow, Ian, you're a biking GOD! Congratulations on a great race!
2004-08-16 6:48 PM

Expert
Princeton, MN
All;
I just made a new album called Northwoods triathlon and uploaded a few pics of my performance.
Thanks to my wife for taking the pictures.
Ian
2004-08-17 2:38 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Nice work Ian – you’ve now got a baseline to work on!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Northwoods Triathlon Rss Feed