General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Race - need opinion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-26 10:11 AM

User image

Subject: Road Race - need opinion
Needs some opinions:

I'm training for Ironman Wisc. and am considering doing a road race this weekend ~ 48 mi. I've never done one before and was planning on racing Cat. 5. However, I've heard some horror stories about Cat. 5's and crashing. Last thing I need is a broken collar bone going into tri. season.

Are cat 5 races really that dangerous? Is there a way to minimizing crashing - reasonably? Or, should I just wait until next year to get my ears wet - Ironman is my "A" race.

Thanks.

2011-04-26 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3466451

Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: RE: Road Race - need opinion

From someone who is mainly a bike racer and ofcourse spent my time in Cat 5 races (heck I still have to do 4/5 fields what i am saying).........here is my outlook:

Road Races are generally much safer than criteriums.   I would say do the race if:

You occasionaly do group rides and are comfortable yourself riding in a pack

Rain won't be a factor (even if you can ride comfortably in it there is always atleast one rider in the group that gets nervous even with a few drops)

Find out a bit if you can about the course and history -- some races/course are just prone to crashes -- for instance if its flat and has a "yellow line rule" it might blow up into a crash near the sprint.   If its a hilly race just be weary of those who can't climb (stay at the front and/or don't get boxed in) but its likely a hilly cat 5 race will most definitley break up and become more of an endurance event and might feel like the bike leg of a Tri depending on how hilly.

I'd say they are pretty safe (Road races) just keep your eyes out.  If you see anybody wearing a livestrong outfit riding a trek, or a radioshack kit or someone riding a US Postal bike -- stay away from them.

2011-04-26 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
I agree Cat 5s aren't that bad especially on road course... Crits are another story.  And the best way to minimize your risk is to simply break away at the gun and win the whole dang thing!
2011-04-26 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Yes, there is risk involved. Greater risk than a triathlon or TT for sure.

I don't know your experience, but if you have limited experience in fast, tight packs, and cornering at speed, then the danger increases (you might even be the guy who accidentally pulls the sketchy move).  The more experience you have in packs and in bike handling, the less likely you are to crash as you can anticipate what's going to happy much sooner, are less reactive to people bumping you, and move around craziness when it occurs. Still, yes, there are risks.

2011-04-26 9:25 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
48 miles, and not a crit, is long enough that it will likely break up - especially if hilly - I would go for it - you can always purposefully fall off the back and make it a TT
2011-04-26 9:40 PM

Veteran
I would agree with the rest of them; you'll most likely be fine. Just stay out of the final sprint, if you are in the front group.

2011-04-27 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3468013

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Kickback - 2011-04-26 10:40 PM I would agree with the rest of them; you'll most likely be fine. Just stay out of the final sprint, if you are in the front group.

But then why do the race?

Accidents can happen anywhere.  If your skittish about being in an accident you're more likely to get into one. 

Ride hard, keep your head on a swivel and your brain working and you should be fine if you have experience riding in a group. 

2011-04-27 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Keeping your head on a swivel is probably the best advice.  Hopefully you have done a lot of group rides before this race.

The pack will be tight (you can probably bump elbows), some people ride skiddish (can't hold their line or are oblivious to the guy 3 inches off of his shoulder), so using your full periferal vision is important as well as anticipating moves.

There will probably be some jumps to thin the crowd.  Either be ready for those or be ready to gradually TT your way back on the pack.

2011-04-27 8:41 AM

Cinnaminson, NJ

seriously, and its unfortunate to feel this way, sometimes riding on the roads alone is less safe than in a bike race these days with the crazy motorists out there.   unless you ride on closed roads, complete country roads or only on the trainer you probably are already used to looking out for what is happening around you and being ready to avoid it and keep yourself safe. 

but seriously the course in a race plays a big part in its safety and how you race the race.  the begginning of this month I did a race and yes there was a crash in the Cat 5 only field --- but there was also a crash in EVERY field that day and the worst one came in the Masters 35+...... even the 1/2/3 field had a crash..... I used to think there was only one way to race (race to win and do your best), but that day I knew it was gonna happen and for once was content to just ride it in at the end....

2011-04-27 3:13 PM

User image

Modesto, California

buhl0006 - 2011-04-26 8:11 AM Needs some opinions: I'm training for Ironman Wisc. and am considering doing a road race this weekend ~ 48 mi. I've never done one before and was planning on racing Cat. 5. However, I've heard some horror stories about Cat. 5's and crashing. Last thing I need is a broken collar bone going into tri. season. Are cat 5 races really that dangerous? Is there a way to minimizing crashing - reasonably? Or, should I just wait until next year to get my ears wet - Ironman is my "A" race. Thanks.

From what I have seen in the 5's & 4/5's there are just as many if not more wrecks in the road races I have seen and done. Crits are on a 1 mile course and most of the time there is a free lap or two to get familiar with the course reducing most hazards. Road races the course is much longer and you encounter way more road condition accidents due to the uncertainty like hitting holes or imperfections at speed and not bieng in a position to see the road ahead. It helps to preride the course or in your case you may have to predrive due to lack of time before race!

2011-04-27 5:17 PM

User image

Thanks for all of the advice.

Weather report for this weekend is rain and snow. I'll probably sit this one out. While I want to get my ears "wet", I'd like dry roads for my first race!

Thanks again.

2011-04-27 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3469973

Veteran

buhl0006 - 2011-04-27 5:17 PM Thanks for all of the advice. Weather report for this weekend is rain and snow. I'll probably sit this one out. While I want to get my ears "wet", I'd like dry roads for my first race! Thanks again.

Good call!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Race - need opinion Rss Feed