Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-04-27 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3467716

User image

Veteran
SE TX
Subject: RE: Tactics during a race

I like to pass anyone going slower than me, which feels good because I am not fast and have worked hard to get close to MOP. On the swim and bike, I avoid contact. On the run, I run as fast as I think I can w/out blowing up, which is much slower than the OP. I also like to encourage people who are obviously hurting, walking, etc. I may even tell them to pick it up and run w/me. Sometimes we end up talking, sharing our stories, etc.

These tactics have paid off in that I have a great time out there, and hopefully help others have a good race too. I almost cried when a guy came up to me after a tri and said, "I finished 18 seconds after you. I never walked again after you passed me." If I keep making PRs every race, and make a few friends along the way, you tactical geniuses can have your medals w/out any noise from me.

2011-04-27 4:25 PM

User image

In spite of what I mentioned earlier, when it comes to the vast majority of athletes I agree with CKTX's and most other people's approach on here of putting positive vibes out onto the race course.  Unless I'm FOP fighting for podium, I usually think of most races as a personal race so the mind games are pretty pointless.

Just a couple weeks ago I was racing a half mary in brutal conditions (snow storm the night before, strong winds during the race), and a triathlete from another club asked me if I wanted to draft him to save some energy for a final push to catch up with a buddy who was about a minute ahead in the last few km's.  I thought that was pretty cool of him and made a point of remembering to pay that forward one day.

Even in smaller races where I've placed in the top few overall I haven't felt the need to try and psyche anyone out with words.  Just let your legs do the talking.

2011-04-27 5:32 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

IMHO Actions always speak louder than words. If I am going to beat someone tactically its because I put in place a detailed race day plan to fit my abilities, where I am at in the course, and where my competition is at.

Its only my second season of racing so I haven't been FOP very often, which is where I think tactics matter the most. But one thing I try to do is to always push it extremely hard coming right out of T2. For an Olympic or Sprint I try and run the first mile or so almost a full minute under my planned average mile pace. I am a decent biker, but not that great on the swim. So typically I am going from behind hoping to run the leaders down by the finish. This tactic allows me to catch on to a group or individual that was ahead of me or at least get within sighting distance of them within the first mile or two. Once I have someone in my sights it becomes a lot easier for me to hold a harder pace and keep moving towards the front. It's not a given that it works all the time as I am often to far back from the swim to make a difference. But it has made a difference for me before, so I will keep trying.

2011-04-27 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3469515

User image

Extreme Veteran
d00d - 2011-04-27 3:01 PM
neweyes - 2011-04-27 10:42 PM
andyaxa - 2011-04-27 7:52 AM

What about yous?

-----
-Ron

Honor and Courage.

If I were racing, my own personal tactics would have to involve the sentiment expressed in your signature.

+1there is a world of difference between cranking through a water station and lying to a competitor about the difficulty of the back side of a course. I see no honor or courage in the latter.

How was this a lie? Did you read the original post? I think not... 2 x 5K loop...same loop.

You can call it deception or trickery rather than lying if you like. You can't call it honorable.

Macca sharing a sponge with Raelert at mile 22 -- that's honorable. Intentionally blowing snot rockets at a fellow racer -- that's dishonorable. Boxing in a racer to prevent them from running their best race... that's cowardly, not courageous.

Your professed values don't line up with your tactics. You should change one or the other.

2011-04-27 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3469996

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

you obviously didn't take time to read the thread...

I wonder if that's your tactic....hmmm

2011-04-27 6:00 PM

User image

Runner
I think I was one of the culprits who brought up tactics in the other thread, so I feel I should respond in some manner here.

Personally, I do not generally speak to other racers unless I know them, and even then it's not very much. I'm usually too focused on what I'm doing, and working too hard to have the extra breath to spare.

Tactics I have used include many of what's been mentioned. Additionally, I never turn my head to look behind me, unless I think it will help avoid an accident. Never, ever, give your competition the idea that they are in your head. Focus on staying, and looking, relaxed and calm. Surges in the right place, especially around blind corners, are a personal favorite as well.

Ultimately, the tactics you use depend on three primary things: knowledge of yourself, knowledge of your competition, and knowledge of the course. If you don't know where your strengths and weaknesses are, don't worry about racing tactics. If you don't know much about the course, don't worry about racing tactics. If you don't know anything about your specific competition, don't worry about tactics.

Prime example would be surging up hills. If you don't know about anything your ability to handle the increased effort and quickly recover, don't know how big/steep the hill is, or don't know if your competition is going to get buried or end up burying you, then it's not the smartest choice.

If you lack knowledge and experience, then I would just go as best you can. There is nothing more or less honorable about how you race or why. It just is. Tactics are useful if you want to defeat someone, no more, no less. They are a tool that you can use or not.

2011-04-27 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3467889

User image

New Haven, CT

slash tires, poison the GU, punch anyone who tries to pass me.   i think with these i may finsh 1132 instead of 1173

Edited by jsklarz 2011-04-27 6:27 PM
2011-04-27 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3469828

User image

New Haven, CT
JoshR - 2011-04-27 4:53 PM

Well this one 5 Mile run, I was trying to beat this 9 year old kid. He was out way faster than me so I slowly reeled him in. I caught him at mile 4 and thought about pushing him over so I wouldn't get beat by a 9 year old, but I decided to just try and beat him the old fashioned way. Bad move. This little dude took off the last 1/4 mile and smoked me by a good 20 seconds. I think I should have gone the physical route and taken him out.

/sarcasm

But he really did beat me.

Awesome! i can so relate... I recently had to sprint out the end of a race to hold off a surging 80ish year old woman.

2011-04-27 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
As I posted earlier, I find it strange that some people seem to view racing tactically as a bad thing; when I was seriously training and racing, I went into a race planning to race to my strengths but also employ tactics that might allow me to beat an athlete who was fitter than I was on race day. As I knew the majority of my competition (and trained with many of them) I knew their strengths and weaknesses as well as they knew mine. So I wanted to be in the head of of the guy who got off his bike ahead of me but knew that I was the faster runner; I wanted him checking over his shoulder wondering when he would hear footsteps. If I went by someone on the run who was of similar running ability, I didn't want them to think I was hurting as badly as they were but instead I wanted them to think I was feeling strong and that they couldn't go with me. Basically, I wanted who was in front of me to be thinking that I could catch them and everyone who was behind me thinking that there was no way they could catch me.

This in no way ever stopped me from cheering on other athletes, whether in front of me or behind me, but that doesn't mean that when the gun went off I wasn't trying to outrace everyone in the field that I possibly could.

Shane
2011-04-27 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3470168

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

gsmacleod - 2011-04-28 4:46 AM As I posted earlier, I find it strange that some people seem to view racing tactically as a bad thing; when I was seriously training and racing, I went into a race planning to race to my strengths but also employ tactics that might allow me to beat an athlete who was fitter than I was on race day. As I knew the majority of my competition (and trained with many of them) I knew their strengths and weaknesses as well as they knew mine. So I wanted to be in the head of of the guy who got off his bike ahead of me but knew that I was the faster runner; I wanted him checking over his shoulder wondering when he would hear footsteps. If I went by someone on the run who was of similar running ability, I didn't want them to think I was hurting as badly as they were but instead I wanted them to think I was feeling strong and that they couldn't go with me. Basically, I wanted who was in front of me to be thinking that I could catch them and everyone who was behind me thinking that there was no way they could catch me. This in no way ever stopped me from cheering on other athletes, whether in front of me or behind me, but that doesn't mean that when the gun went off I wasn't trying to outrace everyone in the field that I possibly could. Shane

x2, Shane.

When I race, I race tactically, but fair. Cut tangents, push certain miles faster, run hard down/up hill, etc. I also cheer others on, especially those that are having a rough time of it. I'm out there to have fun. Competition is fun.

I've been the victim of other's tactics, some of them not fair (like being boxed in), some fair (mind games), but such is racing. Respect for other racers is paramount, however.

2011-04-27 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3468692

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
andyaxa - 2011-04-27 9:27 AM

mrbbrad - 2011-04-27 9:28 AM

gsmacleod - 2011-04-27 8:40 AM I find it very interesting that racing tactically is viewed as a bad thing by several posters. Shane

I don't think they view racing tactically as bad, just some of the tactics mentioned.

This. I'm ALL for tactics, but  in IMHO not all tactics are created equal. For instance to gain a mental advantage (using examples from this thread) 1.) you could say something deceiving to a competitor to gain a mental advantage or 2.) you could kick it up a notch to turn a corner, thus being out of sight of the competitor, quenching his/her desire to chase.

To me, one of those is the more honorable tactic.

Love this. x2.

2011-04-27 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
andyaxa - 2011-04-28 4:27 AM

gsmacleod - 2011-04-27 8:40 AM I find it very interesting that racing tactically is viewed as a bad thing by several posters. Shane

I don't think they view racing tactically as bad, just some of the tactics mentioned.

This. I'm ALL for tactics, but  in IMHO not all tactics are created equal. For instance to gain a mental advantage (using examples from this thread) 1.) you could say something deceiving to a competitor to gain a mental advantage or 2.) you could kick it up a notch to turn a corner, thus being out of sight of the competitor, quenching his/her desire to chase.

^ X3...exactly!

2011-04-27 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3470168

User image

Master
Baltimore

gsmacleod - 2011-04-27 8:46 PM As I posted earlier, I find it strange that some people seem to view racing tactically as a bad thing; when I was seriously training and racing, I went into a race planning to race to my strengths but also employ tactics that might allow me to beat an athlete who was fitter than I was on race day. As I knew the majority of my competition (and trained with many of them) I knew their strengths and weaknesses as well as they knew mine. So I wanted to be in the head of of the guy who got off his bike ahead of me but knew that I was the faster runner; I wanted him checking over his shoulder wondering when he would hear footsteps. If I went by someone on the run who was of similar running ability, I didn't want them to think I was hurting as badly as they were but instead I wanted them to think I was feeling strong and that they couldn't go with me. Basically, I wanted who was in front of me to be thinking that I could catch them and everyone who was behind me thinking that there was no way they could catch me. This in no way ever stopped me from cheering on other athletes, whether in front of me or behind me, but that doesn't mean that when the gun went off I wasn't trying to outrace everyone in the field that I possibly could. Shane

Well said.  

I don't understand why racing to win and being a good sport/encouraging to others has to be mutually exclusive.  Many people do both.  It's annoying to slightly offensive that there is an insinuation that if someone uses race tactics to beat someone they are poor sports and somehow cheapening the sport.  Obviously i"m not talking about the ridiculous tactics no one is really suggesting using (lying, snot rockets, etc).  I race to race and to win.  I'm not sorry about that, I'm not ashamed of that, I don't think I'm less of a person for that, I don't think it is cheapened in any way shape or form to hold back/surge or w/e to beat a competitor and I do really enjoy the encouragement (giving and getting) part of triathlons.  We're all accomplishing different things by racing.  I don't judge you because your race for different reasons than me, so don't judge me in return. Kthxbye.

2011-04-27 8:56 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I will say that I have seen some amazing support from runners who are far in front of me who I know are using tactics. Often they come back and cheer in those of us who are slower.  I agree, these things are not mutually exclusive.  I can't imagine why some people think racing tactics is so bad, so long as they're not nasty.  Heck, I teach the 5 & 6 year olds that I coach ski racing to about tactics at some level.  
2011-04-27 9:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
Me personally, I don't think I'll be questioning the honor or courage of a man currently deployed overseas in service of my country because he likes to surge in front of competitors in a race to physic them out. I'd run fast too if I was where he is right now!
2011-04-28 12:13 AM

User image

Regular
Sugar Land
andyaxa - 2011-04-27 9:27 AM

I concur!

2011-04-28 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3468196

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

DanielG - 2011-04-27 2:51 AM Tactics... Let's see, I swim as fast as I can, bike as fast as I can and run as fast as I can that day whilst trying to keep energy going enough for the whole race. I'm usually too busy running my own race to make snide comments to other people. That's my tactics.

X2

I always enjoyed the sportsmanship during the race and I think I would stop racing if everyone had "win" at all cost attitude.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tactics during a race Rss Feed  

of 3