General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 10k in 36hrs - tips? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-28 10:36 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: First 10k in 36hrs - tips?

First 10K on Saturday. Haven't really followed a plan but been constant with 3-4mi runs twice a week this past month. Doing run/walk programs and gotten my pace to around 12min/mi now on a 5mi distance (it was 15min/mi+ on a 2mile jog!). Avg heart rate around high 160's. Not to bad actually bcos I can hold a conversation with deep breating at that rate. Climbs or pace under 10min/mi, I will huff-puff like a dog.... just not there yet. Today I did a 6miler and was pretty damn tired but not dying like I used to before.

About the event - Its not a serious race... just a fun thing that someone mentioned at work and a bunch of signed up. I just want to finish on 2 legs, not crawling on all 4's... so I am not focussing on speed. Any gu/nutrition required on this distance or gatorade stands would be plenty? Any first timer's tips will be much appreciated?

To those who suggested me the run-walk - THANK YOU! It slows me down considerably compared to other runners but who cares!!! Atleast I can go the distance with powerful spurts followed by walk rests... speed will come when it comes. :D

Btw, do I need special runner socks? I just use white cotton socks on bike and run, alike. Although Internet at-large is strongly against them.  

2011-04-28 11:11 PM
in reply to: #3472631

User image

Regular
Conroe TX
Subject: RE: First 10k in 36hrs - tips?

Have fun with it!  Just run like you've been running.  I LOVED the first 10K I ran. 

2011-04-29 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago suburbs
Since you asked for tips, the one I try to follow and often fail is to not go out too fast at the start. Easy to get caught up in the excitement and adrenaline when racing. It's easy to have a very fast first half and painfest second half if you aren't careful. I would also ditch the cotton socks but my feet are pretty sensitive.
2011-04-29 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

I ran my first 10k 2 weeks ago!  You will have a great time!  I also do a run/walk plan.  When you start out, it will be very difficult to follow your plan, but really try to do it!  I do not know how many people will be in your race, but as you know, it gets very crowded at the start.  And with all the adrenaline and excitement, I found it difficult to walk!  But I did my best to stick to my plan.  Also, if you know that you will be walking, definitely start in the back or to the side.  Early on, I was constantly looking behind me when it was my walking time to make sure there was no one behind me when I stopped running.  And, there usually was, so I made sure to get out of their way before I started walking.  Just be aware of who is around you, and everyone will appreciate it.  As far as socks go, I am very picky!!  I have wicking socks, and love them!  I even have certain ones that I like to wear at different distances!  I would say to try them out, your feet will love them!  But, since it is so close to your race, go with what you are used to.  Nothing new!

Most importantly, relax and have fun!  Good luck, and, come back and let us know how it goes!

Karen

2011-04-29 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
In regards to socks...my feet are rather sensitive so I tend to be very particular about socks.  When I first started running, I was wearing Smartwool running socks.  Infact, I have built up quite a collection of them.  I also cycle in Smartwool socks.   However, last year at a visit to the podiatrist...it was brought to my attention that I have hammertoes (my toes have an unnatural bend downward).  So I decided to try Injinji toe socks to protect my toes from rubbing and irritated each other.  I've been wearing the toe socks exclusively now for running and simply can't run in anything else, otherwise my 4th & 5th toes rub like crazy resulting in numbness. 
2011-04-29 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH

Something I learned after my first 10K was that cotton t-shirts are very bad for your nipples over a certain distance.  I put bandaids over them pre-run anytime I plan on going 6 or more miles now, regardless of what shirt I wear just in case. 

YMMV, but if it's quite a bit further than you've ran before, keep in mind you might get some chafage in some new places.

2011-04-30 3:51 PM

User image

Regular

Post-race report:

Started as a cool morning around 55degrees and slightly breezy. Had a banana and a glass of water pre-race. No pigging out on free bagels and fruits at race venue (lot of people were enjoying that).

Race starts and mass of about ~900people starts moving... I took off decent but steady. It was one goddarm climb after another (most of them short and steep)! At mile 2, my fleece was a wet towel.... at mile 3, I was in my tech tee regardless of the weather. Weather was probably around 65ish and no wind. I was drenched and drained out of glycogen by mile 4. Walk breaks increased in frequency a LOT more during last 2miles. Not happy about it at all.

Finished without feeling like death. I was out of breath a lot due to the rolling hills and walk breaks helped. No chafing or injuries.

Net time - 1:18:10  Frown (33/36 in my age group)

6hrs later... I am feeling pretty good. Just regular soreness after any good workout. I tested the waters and it was good experience. But need a LOT of work to improve my stamina.

Edited by ironbaby 2011-04-30 4:01 PM
2011-05-01 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3474987

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
ironbaby - 2011-04-30 4:51 PM

Post-race report:

Started as a cool morning around 55degrees and slightly breezy. Had a banana and a glass of water pre-race. No pigging out on free bagels and fruits at race venue (lot of people were enjoying that).

Race starts and mass of about ~900people starts moving... I took off decent but steady. It was one goddarm climb after another (most of them short and steep)! At mile 2, my fleece was a wet towel.... at mile 3, I was in my tech tee regardless of the weather. Weather was probably around 65ish and no wind. I was drenched and drained out of glycogen by mile 4. Walk breaks increased in frequency a LOT more during last 2miles. Not happy about it at all.

Finished without feeling like death. I was out of breath a lot due to the rolling hills and walk breaks helped. No chafing or injuries.

Net time - 1:18:10  Frown (33/36 in my age group)

6hrs later... I am feeling pretty good. Just regular soreness after any good workout. I tested the waters and it was good experience. But need a LOT of work to improve my stamina.

Great job on the finish!  If you haven't done anything yet today, I'd recommend a nice easy bike ride or swim. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First 10k in 36hrs - tips? Rss Feed