Other Resources My Cup of Joe » turning 45..need to find me! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-22 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Subject: turning 45..need to find me!

I got divorced back in 1998. I'm turning 45 tomorrow and....

I feel like my life is all there for the taking in great ways. ..but, i'm at the starting line, and the gun goes off, and there I stay at the starting line.

still single -  I had one relationship that just never really got off the ground. I didn't want to lose him, (we enjoyed being together), so I tried to bring it to the level he wanted (from good friends). It just seemed to go downhill from there. 

I want to move - Ex husband threatening (he does threatening so well) to take me to court, if i try to. It means inconviencing him to drive 45 min to see kids. Need to get kids into a better school system.

no career - job here and there...no focus. I hired a career coach, we'll see what happens.

training - I can't get my training up the notches it needs. Damn, I ride my bike in the races and everyone flies past me. I swim as slow as molasses and I run like I have lead tied to me.

Paint and write - I've got to paint more, i'll post my artwork site in my profile. I want to work on my screenplay again too. I started it years ago. I have an engineering degree, worked for defense companies (pre-kids), taught math in high school (post-kids). I probably have a weird diochotomy fighting it out in my head preventing me from moving on!!

i'm whining I know. I AM grateful for the incredible fortune I have, my two babes that are amazing people, and our health. We three are pretty happy....i'm just trying to bring mom up to speed.

2005-08-22 12:43 PM
in reply to: #230562

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,
Subject: RE: turning 45..need to find me!

I can understand just what you are talking about.  I am only 35 but have been though many of the same things as you. I was divorced in 98 as well.  My ex did move to Cleveland Ohio so it made visiting my kids very difficult.  I have been in a few relationships since, but just haven't found one that I am sure of being "the one."  I have yet to finish a sprint tri in less then two hours, but then I have only done two sprints and one Olympic that took over 5 hours.  LOL  I have been doing a lot of these things as soul searching since I had a mild heart attack a year ago this past June.  My job has transferred me to a new site that I am not happy about.  So I too am trying to find myself.  I have many things I would like to do and be, but can't seem to make them happen. 

I wish you the best on your search for the answers you are looking for.  I don't know for sure, but I don't believe that your ex can stop you moving as long as you are staying with in the same state.  I could have fought my ex moving from PA to OH, but didn't have the money at the time.

2005-08-22 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Nikki

I too went through a divorce (1989) and life was pretty crappy. At the same time my knees wore out (down to bone on bone) and i was living in constant pain.

I did finally remarry and had knee replacement surgery in 2003 - both legs.

Last summer I went through a bad bout of depression and really ended up having to find myself again. For me Tri'ing is part of that process. (i'll turn 45 next May)

I swam in highschool but that certianly doesn't do me any good 25 plus years later. I feel like there is an anchor tied to my waist with every lap.

I can't run (but I can race walk) due to the replacements.

I love to bike but have to work like a dog to ave 16-17 mph for any distance.

But the best thing about it all is when I am working out - whatever it is - I get in a zone where I start to get things figured out.

A relationship isn't what your identity is built around. Matter of fact my life would be eaiser if i wasn't married. Relationships are work (as you know). I wouldn't have step daughters (I didn't understand teenager girls 30 years ago and I still don't). Your identity comes from within.

I lived in fear (of relationships failing and working for a long time). I have learned that fear is what held me back and I'm not going to live there anymore (tell me that after I swim the first 100 and I come up sucking air like a vacuum).

My bet is you won't have to look very far to see just how good you are as a mom and a person. Who cares what anyone else has to think. Keep pressing on!
2005-08-22 2:42 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Nicole,

If you feel like whining ... good!  Get it off your chest here.  Some of us are good listeners and some of us can even empathize with you.  You are going through a major upheaval in your life and seem to need, if not advice, then at least a kind word.  

I think that you said it very well when you said: "my life is all there for the taking in great ways."  That it is.  You are, as you say, at the starting line and even if the the gun gun has gone off, who says you have to sprint off that starting line?  You are single at the moment because that is the best way to be for you right now.  When the time comes that you meet someone, and you will, you can think of starting a relationship.  

As for moving, better check with your lawyer although if you are merely moving 45 minutes away, I don't think that a judge will bar you from doing so.  Your reason for moving, to get the children into a better school, is a very solid reason.  

No career - no job .... bummer!  Well, at least you hired a coach!  I suppose that if you are not working, you have plenty of time to train.  Adopt a good training program and follow it faithfully, you will improve by many notches.  Do keep up with your painting and your writing; those are just as important as training .... training for the mind's eye, it is!  And do post your site for your paintings as well as your writing ... it sounds interesting.

I am sure that you are well aware of it but I will say it anyway, whatever you do, let your main focus always be your children.  Everything else, including triathlons, is only secondary.

2005-08-22 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

Thank you for your kind words, support and sharing. Yes, it is and always has been my kids that always remain my top priority. I have invested alot of time, energy and love into parenting and I am rewarded deeply by them. I have joked that they are my life water wings. They are my proof that I am not crazy (as the ex used to throw at me), and that I can't possibly be the loser I feel (ie, no job, weak triathlete, can't get off that starting line, etc).

Alas...it is time for me to put some focus on me. Its not just important for me, but its important as an example and role model for my babes. In addition, we all know (in theory), if we are happy, they are happy. I've got to make some changes and some breakthroughs.

2005-08-22 6:53 PM
in reply to: #231134

Expert
Brisbane
I hope this doesn't sound too preachy or Dr Phil, but you are certainly right about the getting yourself on track. It looks as though you are looking at the big picture and trying to solve everthing in it. Take baby steps and set small goals. the threats from your ex don't sound pleasant and will be the hardest to manage, but they are his way on manipulating and controlling the situation. You need some cards on your side agreed. maybe your life coach can help with that. the other stuff is small potatoes. Jobs, come and go, triahlon will always be there for you to return to. take care of the important stuff, like your kids and your health. having experienced a the divorce of my parents nearly 20 years ago, I can let you rest assured, your kids wil be ok if they see you as strong and supportive, you are their rock. I think that my parents divorcing left me with some issues early in my 20's, (not wanting to get married or having kids) but I have worked it out, and now expecting my first in March, and have a great fiance.

Chin up, you always have friends here to give you an emotional hand when needed.

2005-08-22 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Happy Birthday again Nikki

I think you are doing a great job of finding yourself!  Just remember its not all going to happen at once.  Your Career coach will get you pointed inthe right direction for your job.  Now you need to look at the other areas.  As downunder said just take baby steps. 

Focus on the Kids, job and training and everything else will just fall into place before you even know it.  sounds simplistic but thats they way I always think.  You are definately not whining and I know you are doing alot of thinking about things at the moment.  Remember you've always got us to talk to if it becomes to much! 

*Happy Birthday hugs*

2005-08-23 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
There is nothing wrong with whining every now and then you know Nikki. Whining can make you put things in perspective.

Write out your problems and possible solutions. Make the solutions relaistic and wild.

Moving:
Head to Tahiti, screw the ex
Move 35 miles away and let the chips fall where they may (the courts will not say much btw as long as you are less than 50 miles from him).

Etc. You probably will not elect to move to Tahiti but it can make you smile and dream for a bit then you will have the energy to tackle a shorter move.

Are you sure you are turning 45 and that is not a typo? You look so young in your avatar.

Your art. Get back to it. You may turn out something you consider crap for a little bit but the crap can inspire you to greatness if you don't beat yourself up about the stuff you are critical of. It is hard to pick up the pen but your art and your writing can be cathartic. (please note I mean you will turn out stuff YOU don't like for a while. Not that your gorgeous pastels and oils are crap. They are just marvelous).
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » turning 45..need to find me! Rss Feed