General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kestrel Road Bike Seatpost: a Problem Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-04 5:48 PM

User image

New user

Portland, OR
Subject: Kestrel Road Bike Seatpost: a Problem
Last year I bought my new Kestrel Talon SL Road Bike and am quite pleased with its performance on the road. I plan on riding the double-century Seattle to Portland this summer and have come across a problem with the bike's geometry. The seatpost on the talon is not round and small as is typical but larger and teardrop shaped. This makes it impossible to attach a bottle cage or equipment bag around the post because they seem to all be designed for the small, round posts. In a 200-mile ride I need to optimize the amount of fuel/water/repair equip etc I can carry on the bike. Does anyone have a solution?

2011-05-04 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3482461

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Kestrel Road Bike Seatpost: a Problem
There are several carriers that clamp onto the saddle rails... I know Minoura has both single- and double-bottle holders, Performance has some bags that use plastic clips instead of straps... There should be plenty of options. Remember, though, that you'll have water stops every 25 miles, and food stops ever 50, if memory serves.
2011-05-04 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I have a tear-drop shaped seat post on my Cannondale, and I haven't had any problems with attaching my seat bag.  I use the Topeak Aero Wedge bag (medium size) with the velcro straps (also comes in a clip-mount version).  As for hydration, for a 200-mile ride I would highly consider using a Camelbak hydration system in addition to regular bottles mounted on your down/seat tubes.
2011-05-06 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3482513

User image

New user

nscrbug - 2011-05-04 7:16 PM  As for hydration, for a 200-mile ride I would highly consider using a Camelbak hydration system in addition to regular bottles mounted on your down/seat tubes.

Win.

Also solves the question of how to carry extra tools and gear. The usual one tube, two cylinders of CO2, and one tire lever kit could use a little buffing out for a double century. 4, 5, and 6mm hex keys, an extra tube, patch kit, and tire boot would be advisable if they aren't already in your normal road kit. I tend to go overboard and carry two or three spare tubes, extra chain links and chaintool, electrical tape, adjustable wrench, and a spare brake cable. Like I said, it's a bit overboard, but I have yet to be unable to get home on my bike.

2011-05-10 8:09 PM

User image

New user

Portland, OR
Thanks guys, I got a little Cannondale bag that velcros to the seat rails. I've been trying to convince my husband for weeks that Camelbaks are the way to go for STP so it's good to know that others agree with me. Cool
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kestrel Road Bike Seatpost: a Problem Rss Feed