General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mt Man vs Bartlett Lake Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-09 12:03 PM

Subject: Mt Man vs Bartlett Lake Tri

Hello,

Was curious, I want to move up to the Oly dist this fall. I'm considering Bartlett Lake and Mountain Man. I know both are hilly, but are there any thoughts as to which might be an "easier" first time race? I'm ok with elevation and such.

Thanks!
MC

2011-05-09 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3489405

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Mt Man vs Bartlett Lake Tri
I've done the Bartlett Oly and the Mt. Man Half.  I think Mt. Man is easier. Bartlett is super hilly. Both are awesome races, though.  Do both!
2011-05-09 6:48 PM

User image

Elite
the desert

I hate agreeing with Chad...

Bartlett is a hard OLY, but you'll be able to sleep in your own bed. The water is cold and the bike starts off uphill. The run is up/down,up/down.  It was brutally hot in '09

The Mountain Man is in higher altitude (definitely a factor), but the bike leg starts out relatively flat and builds from there. The run is relatively flat for 1.5mi then climbs the Mountain to the turnaround.

I think the Mountain Man is a prettier venue.

If it matters at all (it did to me in the beginning), you do get a finishers' medal at the Mountain Man but I do not believe that you do at Bartlett.

(Who am I kidding, I still want my damn medals!)

2011-05-09 9:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

All good advice.  I did both in 2010 (Bartlett sprint was my first tri ever, then Mtn Man Oly in the summer).  Bartlett is a harder course, in my opinion.  That uphill 7 miles is brutal and never-ending.  The oly distance has to ride the hills twice, making it even more brutal (but definitely a big challenge!).  The Mtn Man oly has a couple of good bike hills, one bigger than the other.  The run has one major hill, about a mile long, and coming downhill is not much easier.  Surprisingly, Bartlett water was much colder, but of course the race was in March 2010 versus August in Flagstaff, but it still seems weird.

I agree with Chad - do both if you can.  If you are not primed for the major uphill bike at Bartlett, do the sprint there, and the oly in Flag.

2011-05-16 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
I am signed up for the Bartlett Lake olympic. I know it will be tough. I am gonna start training every Tuesday 7:00am if you want to join Karen and I. I had mapped out the routes.

At the Bartlett swim/bike clinic was awesome. Biking up that hill was tough going 6-7mph hour but coming down was 25-30mph. The race will be a two loop.

Does anyone know if the water temp in Oct will be wetsuit legal? I am actually really nervous about not using a wetsuit.
2011-05-16 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
I think you are safe.  Bartlett seems to stay pretty cool most of the year.  Vegas was wetsuit legal in September (outside temp was 106) - so I think Bartlett will be ok.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mt Man vs Bartlett Lake Tri Rss Feed