General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm assuming that we all wear shorts, right... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-23 3:55 PM

User image

Atlanta, GA
Subject: I'm assuming that we all wear shorts, right...
If not, I'm sure that another post will quickly spawn up (and it won't be about aerodynamics)...

Question has to do with the shorts that one wears during multisport events. I'm going to be doing a duathlon to end this year, and I'm aspiring to do a full tri season next year (aspiring is defined as "I've read a lot of books, been on every Tri site imaginable, and once I figure out how to not drown effectively, will actually get into it").

So in prepping for a du, and looking into my crystal ball for a tri, I'm trying to figure out the transitions and the shorts worn. Bike shorts are obviously needed for any prolonged time on the bike (some may disagree...but my bony butt is voting for padding). But I'm picturing running in them and am thinking that will feel like running in a full diaper (not that I have any idea what that feels like). I've heard of tri shorts and I'm assuming they function where you can swim, bike, and run in them.

Do you change shorts, not wear bike shorts, layer them, or what?

Just trying to get an idea. Thanks for the input. Its all appreciated.

2005-08-23 4:15 PM
in reply to: #232104

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: I'm assuming that we all wear shorts, right...

Okay, so all my event sthis season have been Du's - taken the easy/lazy/chicken$hit way out and forgone the swim - but tri shorts are indeed the way to go - padding in the shorts but not the baby-diaper full chamois padding, but rather a nice acrylic, fleece padding (at least in all 4 pr tri shorts I own, including my racing Team Javelin set) and they are all very comfortable to wear for the run. You can definitely get away with just a swim jammer for the run/bike/run depending on the length of the bike segment. The only thing you don't want to do is wear a full cycling short on the run....if you can help it, as it's so damn bulky.

If it's a sprint, and you don't own tri shorts, wear regular running shorts/jammers, since a 20-40k bike won't kill your @$$ to the point you'll regret it in the morning.

2005-08-23 4:39 PM
in reply to: #232123

User image

Expert
Kansas
I 2nd gyanwn... I would also add if you want more comfort on the bike purchase a better a seat that would give you the desired results your looking for.

my $.02
2005-08-24 11:21 AM
in reply to: #232104

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
I wear tri shorts. You can swim, bike and run on those. Padding is not bulky and dry fast. I like DeSoto and SheBeest (for girls). I use a Zoot suit for races. I trained on it for a couple weeks before the race in all 3 sports to make sure I was comfortable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm assuming that we all wear shorts, right... Rss Feed