General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How's this for running/biking/swimming performance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-05-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3492420

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: How's this for running/biking/swimming performance?

I didn't log the way down because I coasted quite a bit so I just called it a wash like it never happened lol

The Couch 2 5K program gets you from the couch (no running at all) to running half an hour straight (~5K) and even though I can run over an hour I'm doing it again.  I did it on January of last year and got as far as a 28.XX 5K but I wasn't able to get better than that so now I'm doing the 5K again then Couch to 10K then a half merry program then a marathon program.

I actually felt much better than the last time I biked that area and ran that program.  Progress!!

2011-05-11 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3493787

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
GatorDeb - 2011-05-11 2:49 PM

even though I can run over an hour I'm doing it again.

so now I'm doing the 5K again then Couch to 10K then a half merry program then a marathon program.

If you are not coming off the couch, why not just use a run program instead of a couch to 5k program?

Also, I would recommend not doing a couch to 10k after a couch to 5k as it will likely be a step backwards. Further, unless you are racing a half marathon or marathon, just stick with a solid running program as opposed to just doing different programs because it is the next step up in distance.

Shane
2011-05-11 1:10 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I got to a point and was unable to elevate myself through it.  I got time.  I'm going to take a year to get to marathon distance  I want to do it slow and double back a few times.  I can get to 5 MPH but have trouble working beyond that.  Not in a hurry and I'm enjoying the ride
2011-05-11 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3493841

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
GatorDeb - 2011-05-11 3:10 PM

I got to a point and was unable to elevate myself through it.  I got time.  I'm going to take a year to get to marathon distance  I want to do it slow and double back a few times.  I can get to 5 MPH but have trouble working beyond that.  Not in a hurry and I'm enjoying the ride

I believe you may have missed my point; I am not suggesting starting marathon training at this point (or even in the next year) but instead of using a couch program, designed for people who haven't run recently, why not use a beginner run program that starts with at a level that is more in keeping with your current fitness.

Take your time, race 5km, 10km and maybe a half marathon over the next year and focus on running consistently; build volume through frequency and run a minimum of three times every week. The speed will come but it is the result of consistency, not simply stringing together a bunch of random run plans.

Shane
2011-05-11 1:22 PM

Houston
I'm confused, are you training to run faster or longer? or both at the same time? I also don't understand using a C25k program if you can already run for an hour.
2011-05-11 1:28 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Both.  

2011-05-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3493841

User image

Elite
Ontario

GatorDeb - 2011-05-11 2:10 PM I got to a point and was unable to elevate myself through it.  I got time.  I'm going to take a year to get to marathon distance  I want to do it slow and double back a few times.  I can get to 5 MPH but have trouble working beyond that.  Not in a hurry and I'm enjoying the ride

This will be my 4th year doing Tri's - this weekend is my second half marathon.  Based on what I've done from a running perspective in the past 4 years, I'm not ready for a marathon - at least not the way I would want to run one.  If I recall correctly you did a marathon previously, signed up and walked for the next 9 hours.  No offense, but don't consider doing a marathon in the next year. 

Like you said - you've got time.  You have great room to improve in all 3 disciplines, and you should really be focusing on Sprint distance for the next couple of years IMO.  Learn to swim properly, take time to increase your run and bike volume, and enjoy the process.  Don't worry so much about achieving the ultimate distance goals any time soon (and a year is soon).

As to the comment about doing it slow - that makes sense.  As to the part about doubling back - that doesn't make so much sense.  Once you've built a small base to get you running 5km, it does you no good to restart as though you didn't already have the base.  Build on it, don't pretend you no longer have it.

Get an overall Tri plan, enroll in some local swim lessons, take your time and enjoy the process.

Good Luck.

2011-05-11 1:40 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Well I didn't walk the whole day, I ran 14 miles of it and walked 12.2
2011-05-11 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
GatorDeb - 2011-05-11 11:49 AM

I didn't log the way down because I coasted quite a bit so I just called it a wash like it never happened lol

The Couch 2 5K program gets you from the couch (no running at all) to running half an hour straight (~5K) and even though I can run over an hour I'm doing it again.  I did it on January of last year and got as far as a 28.XX 5K but I wasn't able to get better than that so now I'm doing the 5K again then Couch to 10K then a half merry program then a marathon program.

I actually felt much better than the last time I biked that area and ran that program.  Progress!!

Next time pedal on the downhill and count it as training. You'll need to be able to race on both up and down and if you don't practice at the higher speeds that come with going down you may not be able to maximize your performance.

I get the concept of C25K, but when you did the running portion was it an all out effort - and is that the way it's supposed to be done?

Also if you can run for an hour, not sure using this program again is the best approach. Ideally you should use a program that builds upon your current fitness.

2011-05-11 3:11 PM

User image

Runner
These threads have become a study in frustration for me. So thank you, Deb, for giving me an opportunity to work on some personal skills.

I'm going to give you some advice. I have probably said some of this to you before, so if you've heard it, bear with me.

You are being foolish in your training.

Your plans do not align with any of your stated goals whatsoever. You have talked about wanting to lose weight, to get faster and to go longer. There is absolutely nothing in any of your recent posts that gives me the impression that you are actually actively working towards achieving those goals.

My perception, based on what you have posted, is that you are, quite simply, scattered in your approach to things. You have picked several lofty goals, and seem to want to achieve all of them all at once. You have no ordering of priorities, no cohesion or visible structure to any of your planning, and barely defined goals.

The absolute first thing you should do is take some time and think about what you want. And I mean what you REALLY want. Not just out of training, but out of life. What do you hope to achieve? Once you do that, think about how your exercise can be a stepping stone on the path to achieving those goals in your life.

As for setting up some sort of training plan, I'm going to post verbatim something I wrote elsewhere. Maybe it will help you (or someone else) get a sense of things. You will notice that I don't talk about workouts, or intervals, or specific mileage, or any of that.

You are going about this entire process wrong.

Here's how I think you should go about it:

1) Determine what you want to get out of your running. Wanting to BQ next year is great and all, but how realistic is that goal? Right now, no one can say. Better to make qualifying for Boston a long-term goal, and focus on what you need to do to get there. Which leads to the next point:

2) Determine where you are now. Do a race, a local 5K is fine, 10K would be better. That will let you know where your race fitness currently stands, which is what matters far more than your training paces. The sooner you race, the better. Continue to periodically race to gauge your progress towards your long-term goal.

3) Chart your course. Figure out some short-term goals that will help build towards your long-term goal. For example, I think a great short-term goal would be to work on consistency and frequency. That means getting out to run as many times a week as you can, and continuing to do so for an extended period of time. Additionally, I would say that you can work on being consistent with your efforts; try to make the easy runs be easy.

4) Do not become a slave to your plan. Training is organic and fluid. What works today won't work next year, or even next month. Be prepared to adjust what you do, how you do it. Those short-term goals are good to have, but don't let them become weights around your neck. The simplest way to do this is not become bogged down in the minutiae of your training plan. There is a time and a place for that, but right now is not it; you're in the learning phase of things, and you want to be able to adjust your plan as you gather more information.

5) Enjoy the journey, not the destination. From my experience and observations and interactions with the people on this site and out in the real world, the runners who seem to do well are the runners who really, truly, enjoy running. And they enjoy running because they have moved past the idea that racking up great race times and lots of training miles are the end-state. They love the sheer act of lacing up their shoes and heading out the door. It is part of who they are now, it is a habit. This habit is what you want to cultivate.

That's all I got for you, advice-wise. Good luck with figuring things out.
2011-05-11 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

I've been reading through this thread, deciding whether to post or leave it alone. Great advice from many on here. Love ya Scout 7, you always hit the nail on the head.

Anyhow, my question is: Why did you post your question in the first place? You just did Iron Girl. You can look at your splits and compare them to FOP, MOP, and BOP. You know what a fast/competive time is in each area. You already know the answer, just look at the numbers. Why are you asking if your times are good? Nothing about your post asks for advice. This just seems silly to me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How's this for running/biking/swimming performance? Rss Feed  

of 2