Without Limits Productions
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 38m 18s
Overall Rank = 133/142
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 24/24
Pre-race routine:

Went to the gym early in the day and did my normal pre-run warm up on the treadmill. Ran 2 minutes at 5.5mph to help set my legs to pacing for the race. Only about .5 miles of running in all.

Event warmup:

Did another 10-15 jogging at race site to get blood flowing again. Stretched really well in both warm ups. I am glad I did treadmill warm up first as I had no idea of pacing during the on site warm up. I was just moving to get the blood flowing
Run
  • 38m 24s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The officials log this as a 5k, or 3.1 mile run, but my gps shows it was 3.25. Either way it is very close to my goal pace of 12:00 miles. If you use the 3.1 distance then my final pace was 12:20, and the 3.25 distance calculates out to a 11:45 pace. In all I am happy with the results. I could have pushed harder on the last half, but new there was a 5-10mph headwind, so wanted to make sure I had enough to finish. I also could have charged that last hill more, but I wasn't sure how it would affect me after having already done 3 miles. It was a really fun run.
The race started great. Within the first 25yds I let everyone pass me. I just kept running at a comfortable pace. About 1/2 mile in, I started to pass people. One by one, then at the turn around I had a gap of about 150yds to the next group. I threw out the elastic lasso and just kept running. Before long I was passing that group too. A couple of them didn't like seeing the 300LB gorilla of the race run by, so they tried to keep up. One couldn't hold it and ended the race about .25 mile behind me. The other ended up helping me set my pace for the rest of the race. She ended up about .25 miles ahead of me. I prob, could have surged and passed her in the end, but that last, small, hill had me worried. So, I just kept running what I new I could do comfortably. In all an excellent race, with very good results for my first 5K.
What would you do differently?:

I would run 1 minute intervals on the last half, where I run fairly hard for 1 minute, and then do a recovery pace for 1 minute. I would also charge up that last hill, and sprint through the climbing pain of that last 25yd stretch. I could tell that my legs would have recovered from that last hill, but being a new runner, 25yds just wasn't enough to allow for recovery. As a result, I was reluctant to try and sprint from the top of the hill to the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked about .3-.5 miles, stretched out good, and had burgers with the other racers. They did have a vegan menu for the people who can control their carnivorous side.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself ultimately. I held back on the first half due to the headwind on the second half. I think I could have run both a little faster. A 5mph headwind with 10mph gusts, just isn't that much of a wind. I need to train through that mental hurdle. I also had the same mental breakdown on that last little climb. I should have just let my HR race and gutted it out. I only had 25yds from the top, I could have gritted my teeth that much. It really boils down to not pushing myself when I knew I should have. I told myself about the last .5 I should push hard, as hard as I could. I may have ran out of gas going up that hill, but I think I would have been darn close to my next age grouper @ 37:53, I saw him at the turn around, and thought I could catch him, but I held back too much due to the headwind. Maybe 25-30mph would have warranted such a move, but the nice running wind of today, I should have let it fly. Guess you don't learn tactics unless you loose a couple of times. Great fun run. Would recommend to anyone for their first 5k event. very laid back, friendly people. We all encouraged each other trough the entire race.

Event comments:

Awesome race. Very low key, lots of different levels of athletes. Everyone was very nice and encouraging. It was nice to talk and encourage others on my run. I tried to inspire, get each runner to stick in there as I went by. Even the ones way out in front of me. Well organized, and a fun little awards ceremony afterwards.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-02-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:24 | 03.25 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/24
Overall: 133/142
Performance: Good
mile 1 @ 11:57 mile 2 @ 11:57 mile 3 @ 11:59 .25 mi @ 2:25
Course: Good, fun course. Out and back over Boulder reservoir dam. The last .25 was uphill, and I am not used to elevation running. It was equivalent to running up your local stadiums bleachers with a small 25yd flat at the top before crossing the finish line. Most of the course is flat and fun. Great race, friendly people
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes