General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I've been a Lurker - beg pardon!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-11 11:12 AM

User image

Williamsburg, Virginia
Subject: I've been a Lurker - beg pardon!!

Greetings all. I'm a 39 year old husband and father of three.  I've been a lurker I guess cause I haven't introduced myself until now, but I've been a BT member since January and training since then with the goal of just completing a sprint tri this June.  I got motivated cause I'm overweight, and WAY outta shape (a recently former smoker) and I would get frantic when thinking about doing any long backpacking trips with the Boy Scouts.  Otherwise, I had NO EXCUSE for being in such poor shape - Doc said I'm fit as a fiddle, except the cholesterol, high bp, etc because of smoking and being overweight!

A favorite saying is from Yoda: "Do or do not, there is no try" - yeah I know, nerdy, but it works for me.  Training is going swell, so good in fact that I recently upgraded my training regimin and have started getting dillusions of actually doing well - at least in the Novice division Smile.  Still scared of the bike to run transition though... been working on that.   Hey, when I started in January, I couldn't even jog 1/2 mile or swim 100 yds.  Now, I'm jogging almost 5 miles, swimming 1600 yds and doing run-offs the bike after an 1hr of intense riding...progress!  Added bonus, I've lost 20+ lbs, cholesterol and BP are in the green!(OK, maybe a little bragging there, but really a testiment to the training plans here at BT.com

The friends I had recruited to train/race with me have all fallen away now, so its just me...and the BT community.  But thats OK, I'm doing this for me anyway, and by proxy my family.  And no doubt, I will make new friends at the races! 

I've really appreciated reading various posts, articles, etc and have learned alot and have been inspired alot.  I look forward to meeting some of ya'll!!

2011-05-11 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3493580

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: I've been a Lurker - beg pardon!!

Welcome to BT... What a great introduction. I'm glad you posted. Sounds like you're making great progress keep up the good work.  When's your first race?

Scott

2011-05-11 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3493621

User image

Williamsburg, Virginia
It's on June 18 - Bath County Sprint - can't wait!
2011-05-12 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3494385

User image

Expert

That's coming up! Well remember to have fun and to race your race. Looking forward in hearing how it goes. 

Scott

2011-05-12 1:13 PM

Oh my gosh!  You have already accomplished so much!  Brag away!!  Those are awesome accomplishments and sharing them helps to motivate others (aka me!)  I love your yoda quote - I never knew I had that "yoda" kind of determination until I started training for tri.  A very pleasant surprise for me!  Keep up the good work and feel GREAT about what you've done!

P.S.  I was lurking until today and almost mentioned it in my intro.  What is it about "lurking" that makes us want to confess?  Kinda funny!  Blessings to you!

2011-05-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3495849

User image

Williamsburg, Virginia
mariarose - 2011-05-12 2:13 PM

Oh my gosh!  You have already accomplished so much!  Brag away!!  Those are awesome accomplishments and sharing them helps to motivate others (aka me!)  I love your yoda quote - I never knew I had that "yoda" kind of determination until I started training for tri.  A very pleasant surprise for me!  Keep up the good work and feel GREAT about what you've done!

P.S.  I was lurking until today and almost mentioned it in my intro.  What is it about "lurking" that makes us want to confess?  Kinda funny!  Blessings to you!

Hey there mariarose! I don't know what it is about lurking - it has such negative connotations that I guess i just felt a little guilty =].   i only just started looking at the forums and became facinated with everybody's stories, issues/solutions, etc.   I just read your intro, congrats on your return to tri's!  Will you be joining Scott's (shellback1998) mentor group? I just figured out his is still open....I guess you just post and ask if you can join.  Anyways, best of luck to you!

2011-05-13 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3497497

User image

Expert

You're both welcome to join if you'd like!

Scott

2011-05-16 11:37 AM

I just joined Scott's mentor group - I think.  Not sure what that means exactly! :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I've been a Lurker - beg pardon!! Rss Feed