General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoes, are newer models the same as previous Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-11 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: Shoes, are newer models the same as previous

Ok so after years of never finding a shoe I really liked I finally found the perfect running shoe for myself. It was easy as I'm flat footed alond with a few other things.

Well last year I found the perfect pair, they were perfect right out of the box. well now it's time for a new pair, but they have changed model, same name but updated model. Do shoes in general stay the same from year to year and just change color schemes etc, or should the new years model be close to the same?

The particular shoe is the Adidas Supernova Sequence, but just kind of looking for what people have encoutered in general with newer models, hopefully not much changed. Hard to find them locally to try on as well, but I have found them online.

2011-05-11 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3493853

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Shoes, are newer models the same as previous
For whatever reason, new models are often different (sometimes completely different) than previous models.  Best bet is to check with a reputable running store to determine if the shoe changed drastically or not.  I have run in three or four consecqutive updates of my current shoe without much difference.
2011-05-11 1:21 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Some models change quite a bit from year to year, others not so much. I'm not sure what word on the street is about how much Adidas tends to change their models.

2011-05-11 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
cstoulil - 2011-05-11 2:16 PM

Ok so after years of never finding a shoe I really liked I finally found the perfect running shoe for myself. It was easy as I'm flat footed alond with a few other things.

Well last year I found the perfect pair, they were perfect right out of the box. well now it's time for a new pair, but they have changed model, same name but updated model. Do shoes in general stay the same from year to year and just change color schemes etc, or should the new years model be close to the same?

The particular shoe is the Adidas Supernova Sequence, but just kind of looking for what people have encoutered in general with newer models, hopefully not much changed. Hard to find them locally to try on as well, but I have found them online.

Don't know specifically about the Adidas line, but I can tell you that the answer to your question is most likely "it depends."  Not what you wanted to hear I know. 

For the most part I've found that model year changes are like cars... they may tweak a few things here and there but overall its the same car... I mean shoe.  I actually use this to my advantage in that I'll wait and find a few of "last years" model for deep discounts and stock up.  I usually always a year behind on my ASICS.  

That said, shoe manufactures (just like auto manufactures) will from time to time make major changes that alter the way the shoe fits and feels, so be careful and make sure you know what you like about your current shoe, and what they changed between model years.

2011-05-11 1:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-05-11 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3493867

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Sous - 2011-05-11 1:23 PM

Don't know specifically about the Adidas line, but I can tell you that the answer to your question is most likely "it depends."  Not what you wanted to hear I know. 

For the most part I've found that model year changes are like cars... they may tweak a few things here and there but overall its the same car... I mean shoe.  I actually use this to my advantage in that I'll wait and find a few of "last years" model for deep discounts and stock up.  I usually always a year behind on my ASICS.  

That said, shoe manufactures (just like auto manufactures) will from time to time make major changes that alter the way the shoe fits and feels, so be careful and make sure you know what you like about your current shoe, and what they changed between model years.

X2. Check out Zappos.com. They often stock previous years’ models at a discount.

2011-05-11 1:29 PM

Champion
Northridge, California

Very often change...always wise to try on.  I ran in Brooks Adrenalines for several years and they made very trivial changes from 2006-2008...then, starting with the "Adrenaline GTS 9," they began to make significant changes, to the point that with the Adrenaline 10, I had to return it to the store after two trial runs.  I've stocked up on every pair of the "9's" that I could find in my size and am looking for a new shoe that works as well as the older Adrenaline models.  So...yeah...be careful about your purchase unless someone really vouches for the new one as being more-or-less identical to the previous model.

BTW:  Look around online and in discount shoe outlets for clearance pairs of your old shoe.

2011-05-11 1:36 PM

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

NO, they change year to year. Sometimes not for the better.

Asics Gel Nimbus 10 worked great. (I bought 6 pair) Now I have Asics Gel Nimbus 12 and get blisters after 5miles. I'll try the Nimbus 13 and see what happens.

Sometimes they insist on screwing up a good thing.

Edited by halfmarathondon 2011-05-11 2:02 PM
2011-05-11 1:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA

When you find the perfect pair, buy as many as you can afford... I bought 5 pairs of my last shoe... seems that they change every two years... sometimes better, sometimes worse... I am doing IM France this year and didn't want the headache of needing a new shoe right before the race so I purchased all the shoes I would need through training and the race...

2011-05-11 2:12 PM

Extreme Veteran

as others have said so far it depends. I know that the shoes I wear (Asics and Brooks), with the asics at least the will change the design and look of the top every other year and the other years they will usually make a change to the actual shoe fit and design. However, according to my running store Guru whom I trust, the changes are usually small things and most people find improvement in them, though not always. for instance - the Gel Nimbus with Asics is basically the same shoe as the original one - and I just bought the Gel Nimbus 12. It works for me as well as the Nimbus 10 did before.

I would check with your running store guy and find out. they talk to the sales reps and the companies and test the shoes so they should know about any changes.

2011-05-11 2:34 PM

Pro

it's a secret ploy to keep me going back to my running shop.  If I could just buy the same shoes over and over again, I wouldn't need to try the new models on in the store and could just order them on line. 

but that's OK.  I like the people in my local running shop.

2011-05-11 2:59 PM

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

No. Newer models are never the same as previous models. However, sometimes changes are only cosmetic and other times there are more substantial changes. My main training shoe, Nike Air Pegasus, has undergone 8-9 model changes over the years I've used it. I have an old pair from years ago and they are nothing like the new models. None of the changes have made them unusable for me, but they have been noticeable.

You can often read reviews of new models online at Runners World or similar that will tell if the changes are significant. People also post reviews about shoes at some of the online retailers.

2011-05-12 1:10 PM

Pro
Husker Nation
If it's any consolation, the Asics Gel Pulse 2's I got earlier this week don't feel any different than my original Gel Pulses did, except they're not all stretched out from having my fat-*** walking and running on them every day! And I have a hard time believing you can't find somewhere in Omaha that you can try them on. Dick's, Scheels, Peak Performance, Sports Authority - somebody's gotta have them.
2011-05-12 1:26 PM

Elite
Laguna Beach

I recently saw an excellent resource on the S-Lab shoe development laboratory and prototype manufacturing facility at Salomon. We don't think of Salomon as a road running brand (because they aren't, yet...) but they have been a prominent trail running and adventure racing brand. I was sponored by them for ultra-running and adventure racing.

Salomon and other brands like Nike, Adidas, etc have new rapid prototyping and design facilities that are closely linked to their manufacturing facilities, albeit remotely. They can, and do, change a design very quickly.

There is a small segment of the specialty running consumership who finds a shoe and wants to stick with it. Road Runner Sports has done an awesome job of marketing to that tendency with their "Classics" and "Endangered" marketing of some running models, and they are a great resource for extinct shoe models.

However, the much larger part of the consumership is not interested in consistency and simply wants something new. Trends like "barefoot running" fuel that motive to constantly change models.

As a result, it's rare to see a running company keep something exactly the same from manufacturing run to manufacturing run.

2011-05-12 6:13 PM
in reply to: #3493884

Central Oregon
tcovert - 2011-05-11 11:29 AM

Very often change...always wise to try on.  I ran in Brooks Adrenalines for several years and they made very trivial changes from 2006-2008...then, starting with the "Adrenaline GTS 9," they began to make significant changes, to the point that with the Adrenaline 10, I had to return it to the store after two trial runs.  I've stocked up on every pair of the "9's" that I could find in my size and am looking for a new shoe that works as well as the older Adrenaline models.  So...yeah...be careful about your purchase unless someone really vouches for the new one as being more-or-less identical to the previous model.

BTW:  Look around online and in discount shoe outlets for clearance pairs of your old shoe.

Yes! I can attest to this too. I wear the women's Brooks Adrenaline. I had to lace the newer models a little differently to fix the problems I encountered. I laced them to be tighter on my heel and the slipping issue went away so I have stayed with this shoe.

I tried switching shoes initially when I had a problem with the new Brooks, but it didn't go well... resulted in some injury, can't remember what it was now.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoes, are newer models the same as previous Rss Feed