General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I managed to kill my Garmin HRM (not the watch) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-12 11:27 PM

Master
Subject: I managed to kill my Garmin HRM (not the watch)

Took a year and a half, but my Garmin HRM actually died on me. The 305 watch works perfectly fine, ironically enough, but the HRM died - it seems that enough moisture/sweat got into the metal contact point to wear it down.

Before it died, the HRM got sketchier and sketchier of a 2 week period - even after a fresh battery change. Then it abruptly lost signal altogether.

Got a new strap delivered, and everything's back to normal.

I always expected the watch to die way earlier than the HRM band, but it seems it's not the case.

2011-05-13 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3496706

User image

Veteran
Wesley Chapel, FL
Subject: RE: I managed to kill my Garmin HRM (not the watch)
Same thing happened to mine.  I should have been more careful when I changed out the battery.  The first battery lasted over two years so I really can't complain.  So, $25.00 for a new one and I also am good to go again. 
2011-07-24 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I wonder if this is what's wrong with mine.  I've been using it with the original battery for 3+ years.  A few weeks ago, it started giving crazy readings with spikes into the 220 + bpm range.  I got a new battery, and put it in, but now it won't read at all.  When I took the old one out, it was corroded pretty badly, but I was able to clean off the terminals, and everything appears fine.  Do you think just need to suck it up and buy a new strap, or is there something else I should try first?
2011-07-25 2:03 PM

Veteran
Don-I had the same thing happen and got garmin on the phone.  They walked me through some troubleshooting and said-nope, it's toast.  Sent me a new one.  Mine was only 4-5 months old, but once it starts doing this, I don't think it can be fixed.  I hope yours is still in warranty.
2011-07-25 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3612226

User image

Sensei
Sin City

TriMyBest - 2011-07-24 9:24 AM I wonder if this is what's wrong with mine.  I've been using it with the original battery for 3+ years.  A few weeks ago, it started giving crazy readings with spikes into the 220 + bpm range.  I got a new battery, and put it in, but now it won't read at all.  When I took the old one out, it was corroded pretty badly, but I was able to clean off the terminals, and everything appears fine.  Do you think just need to suck it up and buy a new strap, or is there something else I should try first?

I'm not sure if it's the Garmin or my Timex, but there is a "reset" button in the strap, next to the battery.  You need a needle or thumbtack to press it.  That may help (before getting a new transmitter).

2011-07-25 6:21 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
My garmin got scetchy and then I replaced the battery in the chest strap and all is good again.

2011-07-25 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3613834

User image

firegirlred - 2011-07-25 9:03 AM Don-I had the same thing happen and got garmin on the phone.  They walked me through some troubleshooting and said-nope, it's toast.  Sent me a new one.  Mine was only 4-5 months old, but once it starts doing this, I don't think it can be fixed.  I hope yours is still in warranty.

x2.  Except mine was a Timex.  After about 6 months it would give out readings consistantly 30-50 bpm higher than expected.  My watch as well as my garmin 500 would get the same reading, so I knew it was the strap.  I tried the reset button with no luck.  Tried re-syncing with no luck.  Tried changing the battery and then the thing went completely dead...no signal.

Sent it back to Timex and got a brand new one sent to me.  Had to pay $8 + shipping even though it was still under warranty, but I wasn't about to make a hissy fit over $8.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I managed to kill my Garmin HRM (not the watch) Rss Feed