General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello Fort Wayne! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-15 9:44 PM

Subject: Hello Fort Wayne!

Hi everyone.  I am asking for your advice on getting started in XTERRA/DINO style off-road triathlons and adventure racing.  I am just getting started in my training and loving every minute of it.  I have been a mountain biker for about 3 years now.  I ride with the local 3rvs MTB group regularly and have been in one DINO MTB race.  However, running is new to me.  I have started a couch to 5K running program and am running 2.5 miles now.  I never realized how much fun running could be.  I hate to say it but I almost like it more than MTBing now.  As far as swimming goes-I know how to swim but no real strokes such as freestyle.  I have ordered a recommended freestyle swimming DVD and hope to sign up for adult swim lessons next month.  I signed up for the Carmel Amazing Adventure through Planet Adventure in July.  I signed up with my two daughters as my teammates.  My wife and I are doing the Warrior Dash in August.  I hope to sign up for a XTERRA race this summer also and/or an adventure race if I can find someone to sign up with.  I found out there are no orienteering clubs left in the Fort either.  So I checked out a book on map/compass use to refresh my boy scout skills.  I just purchased a Perception Monterey 13.5 kayak and hope to get better at kayaking also. 

So, are there any local groups for beginners that train together in Fort Wayne?  I work nights on Fri, Sat, and Sun.  While this makes it easier to train (I have all week).  It is hard to find people to bike and run with.  I also have to take a vacation day or find someone to work for me to compete in races.  What's the best way to meet some like minded individuals.  Any training advice?  Things specific to Fort Wayne that I should know?

Edited by ehinrj01 2011-05-15 9:49 PM

2011-05-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3500742

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: RE: Hello Fort Wayne!
There's a whole Ft Wayne group on Indiana Trail Running...google that and you'll find it.
2011-05-16 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3501241

Thanks Afletcher.  Where are the best places to trail run in the Fort?  I'm guessing Franke Park and Metea,  maybe Fox Island??? 

What are the best resources in Fort Wayne for Run, Bike, Swim instruction/training.

2011-05-17 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
I have only run in Ft Wayne once (along the river).  I have no clue.  Check the website I mentioned.  Probably lots of places.  Also ask in your local running store.
2011-05-18 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

There is a trail around Foster Park in the center of town (kinda) that I see a lot of people run on.  I have never run on it as I use the Greenway for my long runs to avoid any traffic issues, but I hear it is a good trail.  I would check it out right now because I am sure it is, at the least, waterlogged but it may also be flooded because it runs next to the river for a large part of the loop.

As far as meeting people, check out 3 Rivers Running store.  I think they have groups that run throughout the week.

For the swimming, where are you swimming at?  I use the South Side HS natatorium and it seems to work most of the time.  Sometimes the lap lanes can be pretty restrictive because of availablity but I have, so far, been able to make it work.

2011-05-23 8:52 PM

Expert
Fox Island is nice, also try Roush Lake (use to be good but they made some changes so I don't know how MTB and trail friendly they are anymore). Stop by Summit City Bikes, they have a group that does MTB and can fill you in the groups and areas to ride. For Xterra, the one in August at France Park in Logansport is fantastic.

Edited by vonschnapps 2011-05-23 8:52 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello Fort Wayne! Rss Feed