General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Back in the Game! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-16 8:42 AM

Subject: Back in the Game!

Hi there... I'm from the Glens Falls, NY area.  I'm 36 years old and used to compete in triathlons in my late teen years (over a decade and a half ago.)  I completed lots of sprints and worked my way up to doing the Tupper Lake HIM a couple of times.  

After college life took over and I got out of the game entirely.  This past winter I saw myself at my highest weight ever, 275 lbs. and knew I had to do something!  I began by running at the gym this winter and have been taking weight off nicely. 

I'm now at 240 lbs. and still working my way down.  I started off with some snowshoe races this winter and then into some local road races this spring.  My times are slowly getting to where I feel like I'm fairly competitive again.  

This past weekend I completed my first ever duathalon... it was a sprint (1.5 / 7.0 / 1.5).  Other than going down on the second corner of the bike course (yeah, that did hurt) it was a great race!  The course was wet from an overnight rain and I just took the corner too hard and both tires slid out from under me.  My bike was fine, I had some substantial road rash, but I was able to get back up and ride it out.  

So, a lot has changed in the years that I have been away from this great sport.  The bike technology is on the verge of insane, the community seems stronger than ever, and resources like this forum are here to support the community!  

I'm looking forward to my first sprint in a little less than a month and am planning out the rest of my season.  It's great to be back in the game!! 

Ben

2011-05-16 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3501208

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Subject: RE: Back in the Game!
Welcome back!
2011-05-23 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Welcome back. Congrats on getting going. Best of luck in both racing and staying up. Falling is brutal and I find that it really is hard to control my body and brain with all the adrenalin.
2011-05-23 7:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
Welcome back. The bike technology might seem like insane but prices are insane , too. Don't get carried away and spend ton of money on go fast gadgets. It's still all about the engine!!!! Rest is all about hype and advertising...
2011-05-24 5:45 AM

User image

Expert
Adk_Ben - 2011-05-16 9:42 AM

Hi there... I'm from the Glens Falls, NY area.  I'm 36 years old and used to compete in triathlons in my late teen years (over a decade and a half ago.)  I completed lots of sprints and worked my way up to doing the Tupper Lake HIM a couple of times.  

After college life took over and I got out of the game entirely.  This past winter I saw myself at my highest weight ever, 275 lbs. and knew I had to do something!  I began by running at the gym this winter and have been taking weight off nicely. 

I'm now at 240 lbs. and still working my way down.  I started off with some snowshoe races this winter and then into some local road races this spring.  My times are slowly getting to where I feel like I'm fairly competitive again.  

This past weekend I completed my first ever duathalon... it was a sprint (1.5 / 7.0 / 1.5).  Other than going down on the second corner of the bike course (yeah, that did hurt) it was a great race!  The course was wet from an overnight rain and I just took the corner too hard and both tires slid out from under me.  My bike was fine, I had some substantial road rash, but I was able to get back up and ride it out.  

So, a lot has changed in the years that I have been away from this great sport.  The bike technology is on the verge of insane, the community seems stronger than ever, and resources like this forum are here to support the community!  

I'm looking forward to my first sprint in a little less than a month and am planning out the rest of my season.  It's great to be back in the game!! 

Ben

Welcome to BT ben, Congrats on your weight loss keep it up. Yes bike technology changes daily, it's like buying a computer bring it home set it up and there is already newer technology out there the next day. I agree with the previous poster about the engine. You can have any bike, but you still need to power that engine. Good luck on your races!

Scott

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Back in the Game! Rss Feed