General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metatarsal Issue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-17 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Metatarsal Issue

I started ramping up my run a few weeks ago, and almost immediately got this metatarsal "issue" in between my 3rd metatarsal and my 3rd toe.  There is no pain: it's like a lump that I feel between the 3rd metatarsal and my 3rd toe, and I can only feel it when barefoot on a hard surface.

I felt it again this morning following a 20 min. run, barefoot before jumping in the shower (as always, I felt nothing during the run).

I don't know if I should call it Metatarsalgia or Morton's neuroma because there is no pain.

Any suggestions?  I'm starting to take Ibuprofen, and was thinking of getting some metatarsal pads from the running store.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to nip this in the bud before it becomes a problem so I can get my run in shape for my first HIM in October.

TIA, windandsurf

2011-05-18 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3503803

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Metatarsal Issue
I'm not a doctor but I've had both Metatarsalgia and a Neurom. I did not have a lump but did have a lot of pain. Either way, I would try some ice or rolling the sore part of your foot on a bottle of frozen water. Watch it to see if it grows. Can you take a couple of days off of running and see if the lump gets smaller? The pads might also be a good place to start. The podiatrist put extra pads on my running insoles for the Metatarsalgia.
2011-05-18 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3503803

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Metatarsal Issue
Thanks for the advice: I'm going to try some Spenco pads and back off the running volume a bit, see if that does the trick.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metatarsal Issue Rss Feed