General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KNEE PAIN AFTER HIM (not enough recovery?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-19 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: KNEE PAIN AFTER HIM (not enough recovery?)

I completed a HIM two weeks ago. I started running last fall and started tri training Jan.  During training my right knee would often hurt on long runs (10+miles).  During my race my left knee started feeling tight and burning a little (first time ever for left).  I finshed race with soreness in left knee that went away two days post race (so i thought).  On my fifth day after the race i went for a seven mile run and two miles into it my knee was hurting.  I finished the run.  The next day i rode 30 miles and again i noticed my knee.   The next morning my knee swelled a little and was very tight.  It has been 5 days and the swelling around the knee is gone but there is still a tight (uncomfortable feeling) at the top of knee cap and lower quad.  I really want to start training again.  Do you think it is an overuse issue (too much too fast)?  Could it be I did not recover long enough after race?  Anyone experience this before?

Thanks in advance.

2011-05-19 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3507908

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: KNEE PAIN AFTER HIM (not enough recovery?)

You are injured....that much is clear.

The etiology of the injury, meaning how it happened ,is less important than the fact that you ARE injured.

Swelling of the knee indicates that something is wrong. 

You need to go see a sports med doc and most likely get some imaging done.

In the meantime , get in the pool  with a pull buoy!

Good luck to you. 

2011-05-19 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3507908

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: KNEE PAIN AFTER HIM (not enough recovery?)
Pretty clear overuse injury here.  Overuse and over/improper training.  I did the same thing last year.  You need to take some time off the knee.  If pain/swelling persists, see a doctor.  Ice that sucker!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KNEE PAIN AFTER HIM (not enough recovery?) Rss Feed