General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » knee surgery=new era Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-25 1:58 PM

User image

New user

New York
Subject: knee surgery=new era
Hi! New to the site...

I just turned 24 and am currently recovering from knee surgery. I've had OS disease (a chronic bone "bump" where the Tibia attaches to the Patellar Tendon) since I was eleven. The nuisance has prevented me from getting anywhere training wise - whether it be endurance or any other sport - so I decided to have it removed, hopefully enabling me to get on with my beloved active life!

That said, I'm slated to start rehab/PT in a couple of weeks and since I've been hungry for my first Tri for a while now, but unable to get far with training, I was hoping somebody who may have been in my position (or knows of someone within the site) could give me some insight. Any tips or ideas about rehab with a "focus" on the tri sports, or even staying fit while off your feet etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew
NY

2005-08-25 6:24 PM
in reply to: #233792

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: knee surgery=new era
Hi Andrew,

I've just started too! that sounds like a nasty injury...I hope everything is ok for you now!

I hurt my knee about three years ago and was out of action for any sport for about three months. I managed to swim ok, but I would check with your doctor/physio/rehab person as to what they think you could try.....I also had to do a lot of basic strength and alignement exercises before I could consider any serious exercise.

Good Luck with it!

Cat
2005-08-25 8:08 PM
in reply to: #234073

User image

New user

New York
How did you hurt your knee, and what attracted you to Triathlons? Have you started training?
2005-08-25 8:12 PM
in reply to: #234134

User image

Champion
Sydney
This is kind of embarrassing...but i hurt my knee in a boxing class...twisted it, tripped over my feet and BANG!!!! did some tendon damage, tore some cartiledge Pretty good for being clumsy right?

Im not sure what the attraction with triathlons, mainly the challenge and it being something that no one else I know has done. A friend of mine initially suggested but went off the idea but Im hooked!

What about you? Whats your inspiration?
2005-08-26 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

I hope that you got a good physical therapist...if you do, you shouldn't be off your feet at all...you'll be doing daily strength and stretching exercises to get your quads, hams and stabilizer muscles strong again...it's amazing how much leg muscle one can lose over only a few weeks of limping around. Listen to your PT and don't excel faster than they let you..because you may just extend your recovery (after my ACL recon, I decided that I could start running before I was released to, and ended up with tendonitis.)

Anyway...take it slow..there's no reason why you can't start swimming soon. And, you'll probably be able to get on a stationary bike in a few weeks - cycling is great to get flxibilty and strength back. Spend this time coming up with a training plan that eases you into the sports. But, please get the okay from your PT or doc before you start to run or head out on the road.

Good luck!!

2005-08-26 8:32 AM
in reply to: #234361

User image

New user

New York
Thanks for the advice!

My Doc is the Head Physician for the NY Rangers, so I trust him... we seem to agree that I can start my PT in a week or so. I definitely don't want to screw around w/ my future by getting ahead of myself. I think easing into the pool and some stationary bike outside of the rehab is about all I'll be thinking of for a while...

2005-08-26 8:34 AM
in reply to: #234361

User image

New user

New York
Is Buck Creek near Deep Creek Lake?
2005-08-26 8:40 AM
in reply to: #234137

User image

New user

New York
So did you fall because you got knocked out? Or was it a "swing-and-a-miss?"

How long before your legs were solid again?

To answer your question, I think Triathlons are the ultimate challenge to yourself - physically and some would argue even MORE mentally - and I like challenges.
2005-08-26 9:29 AM
in reply to: #234432

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

athaskell - 2005-08-26 9:34 AM Is Buck Creek near Deep Creek Lake?

Not sure...it's near Springfield OH.

2005-08-26 9:39 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Welcome to BT. I'm recovering from my 7th knee surgery. I had six before I started training for tris. I have OSD too, but I still have the bump. Just do good rehab, you'll be fine. Most injuries in this sport come from overtraining, so be careful about increasing distances and duration (no more than 10% in one or the other). Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. (I posted this to youyr other thread as well).
2005-08-26 9:50 AM
in reply to: #234519

User image

New user

New York
wow, thanks man. I'll probably pick your brain at some point... just as sduoghnn aas hte paenin.. kilrz wearrrrr.... off...

2005-08-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: #234519

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
RGRBILL - 2005-08-26 8:39 AM

Welcome to BT. I'm recovering from my 7th knee surgery. I had six before I started training for tris. I have OSD too, but I still have the bump. Just do good rehab, you'll be fine. Most injuries in this sport come from overtraining, so be careful about increasing distances and duration (no more than 10% in one or the other). Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. (I posted this to youyr other thread as well).

Ouch! You make me look good with only 3 knee surgeries! And people always tell me that I'M a glutton for punishment...

Seriously, though--it is good to see people recover from injuries to keep going. It's very motivational. Nice work.
2005-08-29 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, I've had 17!  They were all a long time ago, when I was in high school...speaking of which, just got the invite for the 20th reunion!  Anyway, I had OSD, along with a bunch of other stuff.  I ended up with both of my patellas removed and my quads repositioned over the top of my knee joint and attatched to the tops of my tibias.  I had many problems, including my patella tendon rolling over the top of my new quad on my left knee.  That required multiple procedures including a pin and bone graft to ultimately keep it in place.

Anyway, I gained a whole pile of weight while I was down for the 2 years that all of this took place.  20 years later, I am still trying to lose the weight.  I live with chronic pain, but it really doesn't stop me.  I currently weigh 298#.  I run 30-40 minutes at a time.  I have done 2 sprint tris this summer.  Your knee just needs to be rehabed and you will be right on with your tri training!!  Can't wait to hear about your progress!

2005-08-29 3:46 PM
in reply to: #236785

User image

New user

New York
Wow, sounds like you've been through a lot. It's amazing what we'll still do in spite of physical setbacks.

It appears that there aren't many people on this site that "give up" very easily...

Thanks for the inspiration.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » knee surgery=new era Rss Feed