General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any advice for an ultra relay running event Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-20 11:19 PM

User image

Subject: Any advice for an ultra relay running event
So  I have signed up as part of a 7 person 180 mile relay team called The Epic Oregon that will run from Portland to Eugene in honor of Steve Prefontaine. I will do a total of 5 running legs over about a 24 hour period the distances are 4.77, 3.19, 7.63, 4.3 and then 6.84 for a total of 26.73 miles. The team is definitely more about having fun then winning but it is a competetive group of people so we wont be jogging. I am probably one of the stronger runners with about a  7 minute mile 10k pace. My question for those of you who have done relays like this any general advice for the day of and also what kind of toll did this take on your body? We will be living and sleeping out of a Conversion Van for the length of the run any advice here things I should make sure I have? How much easier is this then just running a straight marathon? I have an Olympic Tri one week later that I would really like to do but not if I am still dying from the run. I am excited but nervous for the relay.

2011-05-21 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3510974

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
Subject: RE: Any advice for an ultra relay running event
only having done a 24 MTB event on a relay team, my only advice is to not drink too many beers between laps, especially when one of your teammates craps out and your down time goes down by 2hrs. 

have fun!
2011-05-21 7:29 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO

Every running relay I've seen strictly forbids alcohol consumption.  I haven't done one but will at some point.  Had hoped for this year but it didn't work out.  Many of my teammates did one last year and there isn't a whole lot, other than getting in high mileage that you can do to prepare your body for what it does.  Maybe do a some 2x per day running to start introducing your body to the idea that it won't always get 24 hours of recovery.  

2011-05-21 7:44 AM

I did RAGNAR last wknd with only 8 people. I totaled 28.7 miles. I have a 7: 20 is pace for a 10 K. I averaged 8:13 over RAGNAR and felt like a million bucks. Just got to keep moving forward. I waited until Thursday to run. I banged 7 miles and the litle tenderness in my foot was gone after that run. Looking to go 21+ in a 5K tomorrow. ( Sunday). Hopefully that helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any advice for an ultra relay running event Rss Feed