bradventures
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 39s
Overall Rank = 46/50
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Get transition set up, body marked, walked area surrounding swim...
Event warmup:

20 minute brisk walk (would have jogged, but only had sandals with me...); followed by putting on wetsuit(yes, that is a warm-up in my book), and then got into the water, 30 strokes(fast) followed by 30 strokes(back and easy) then repeated...stretching as well.
Swim
  • 22h 38m 8s
  • 500 meters
  • 4h 31m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall, a better performance than expected..I did not panic, I did not hyperventilate. BUT, my arms and shoulders did wear out quickly, and I never found a breathing rhythm--I was out of breathe the whole time. I would say that I did about 30% freestyle, 50% breaststroke, and 20% backstroke.
Nasty cramp in my calf as I exited the water--not helpful for the LONG run to the first transition.
What would you do differently?:

PRACTICE!!!!!! I would also have started training earlier than I did. Also, I would have increased the number of swim workouts.
Transition 1
  • 06m 9s
Comments:

For a first time, I am satisfied with my t1--had I not had the leg cramp it would have been faster.

attached the shoes to the bike prior to the race. moved faster into the trans. area.
Bike
  • 56h 27m 4s
  • 8.08 miles
  • 0.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I had to walk on the two toughest hills, but many of my fellow racers were right there with me. It was not an easy ride, but incredibly scenic--the scenery kept my brain from noticing the burning pains in my legs and glutes. I was passed many times, but I am okay with that--this time.

TRAIN ON A HILLY AREA!!! Seriously--this is a popular course for cyclists throughout the year--I just have to get out there and practice on it--a lot.
Apart from that, I cant think of any major changes that would have helped.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Not bad--everything was set up perfectly. It went very smoothly.

pull my little towel further from the rack itself--it was mostly underneath it and the grass was wet--ick.
Run
  • 25h 49m 2s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 10h 22m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Not too bad. I did walk, but I actually ran more than I thought I would (the other races from my tri club helped--they were very encouraging!) It wasn't difficult, and I kept a decent pace. There was also very little pain--except when a blackberry bush reached out and scratched my leg.

More running workouts--the only reason I walked is that my cardio stamina is still not quite there. Start training sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, walked, walked. drank cytomax...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

myself and my brain. I need to practice smarter and more often.

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race--even with my subpar performance. It is run well, its a beautiful setting, and it challenges everyone. The reason for the time delay was a wayward buoy on the swim course--but it only lost us 5 minutes. I would like to have seen the 1st transition closer to the swim course, and less overlapping of the bike course between the sprint and mini sprint--very easy to go the wrong way...

Last updated: 2011-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
22:38:08 | 500 meters | 4h 31m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 46/50
Performance: Average
Suit: x-terra Vortex 3
Course: inverted triangle--far boundaries marked by kayaks...I believe that it was farther than planned (permanent buoys mark the actual route--they were beyond them...). swam in counter-clockwise direction from/to boat ramp
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
56:27:04 | 08.08 miles | 0.14 mile/hr
Overall: 43/50
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: It was 6 miles of uphill. Very difficult in spots. first section leaving the swim area was mostly uphill, with a couple of flat spots. followed by rolling uphill grade--not too difficult; then it was 1 very steep, very long set of switchbacks (3/4 of a mile), followed by large, rolling hills. at that point, a screamer of a downhill with a left turn onto a busy road--not closed to traffic...a few more hills with gradual descent into t2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 10
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
25:49:02 | 02.49 miles | 10h 22m 06s  min/mile
Overall: 46/50
Performance: Good
Course: From transition, dirt for about 100 ft, then a pavement crossing into a dirt uphill (15 feet). followed by a flat dirt trail (about a mile). Then a pavement downhill, with a left turn into further downhill (aid station was right at the turn). remainder of the race(until last 150 feet) was on pavement. Very slight uphill grade--not terribly difficult at all (and once again--great scenery). after passing under the original pavement crossing, back out into a soccer field to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-23 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: Auburn Triathlon - Mini

2011-05-23 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3513980

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Auburn Triathlon - Mini
Congrats on getting it done! Make your next race an even better one! Top 5 in AG! Nice finish!
2011-05-23 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Great job Kate! 
2011-05-23 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
You did great! You learned a lot to make your next race even better!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Auburn Triathlon - Mini Rss Feed