General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet suit fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-23 8:14 PM

User image

New user

Cincinnati
Subject: Wet suit fit

Hello all... I am brand new to the sport and had a question about a wet suit that I recently purchased. The suit in question is a Orca S3 suit. The size is medium large based on the fact that i am 6 ft 177 lbs. 

Now for the issue... I took the suit to the pool today to try it out in the water before I used it in an upcoming race. It fit tight outside of the water and the range of movement in the arms was acceptable. Once in the water I began to swim and everything felt great with the exception of a little drag in the back of the neck area. It seemed as if it was gathering some water (wasn't sure if that was normal) I continued swimming and was on pace to knock a full minute of of my 500 meter time and then my left arm seemed to feel strained. I continued swimming with the pain for the first 500 meters then stopped. I inspected the back of the suit and everything was zipped up (i think) correctly and began swimming again. about 200 meters in I started feeling the flooding and the pain in the shoulder area again. I stopped took the suit off and continued swimming and had no pain or strained feeling for the rest of my 2000m swim. It seems as if the pain in the arm was caused by something that is wrong with the wet suit but I have no idea if it is a bad size or if I had put it on wrong and left the neck flap in the back unsecured. Does anyone here have any idea as to what could be causing the issue? Thanks in advance for your help. 

2011-05-24 4:04 AM
in reply to: #3514861

User image

Subject: RE: Wet suit fit
As for your shoulder, you didn't pull the thing up far enough. You should feel violated when you have the suit on right. There should be loose wrinkles in the shoulders when you get in the water.

The neck thing, look at the velcro bit, you have a lot of play there, just adjust it until it's a good fit. Remember, though, this is a WETsuit. Water is supposed to get in it, just not pour through it.

2011-05-24 7:45 AM

User image

New user

Cincinnati
Thank you very much I had a feeling it was something like that.
2011-05-24 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Had a similar experience trying out a new wetsuit the other day. My shoulders felt like they were working way too hard. I'll have to make sure they're pulled up all the way.

Also, I felt like I had gathered about 200 lbs of water in my swimsuit. I felt like I weighed a ton even though I was more buoyant. Would that have been a similar problem - neck not fastened tightly enough?

2011-05-24 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3516718

User image

runk8run - 2011-05-24 5:28 PM

Had a similar experience trying out a new wetsuit the other day. My shoulders felt like they were working way too hard. I'll have to make sure they're pulled up all the way.

Also, I felt like I had gathered about 200 lbs of water in my swimsuit. I felt like I weighed a ton even though I was more buoyant. Would that have been a similar problem - neck not fastened tightly enough?

Could be. This is as much art as it is a science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsHw_TkFEdE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL7iJcOuBo0
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet suit fit Rss Feed