Other Resources My Cup of Joe » KC Marathoner tasered for 'minimalist' runnnig Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-05-26 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3519453

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: KC Marathoner tasered for 'minimalist' runnnig
mr2tony - 2011-05-26 7:47 AM
Brock Samson - 2011-05-25 2:20 PM
1stTimeTri - 2011-05-25 3:13 PM
mr2tony - 2011-05-25 1:05 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2011-05-25 12:31 PM
DIETRIING - 2011-05-24 10:52 PM

I'm really torn on this one.

You can run naked in the Bay To Breakers Race in San Francisco...and drunk and high for that matter.

Me being new and all to the Tri world, i've never seen a grown man or woman drop a deuce on the side of the road during a race, nor do i care to.

This guys excuse seems pretty lame, but valid. Anyone who has been stopped by the cops knows that if your stopped, what your doing will be coming to an end. Brett knew this and apparently wanted to finish the race, she he kept on going. And I GOTTA agree that tasers are meant to stop a threat to the officer, not for failure to comply.

Yeah, I agree too. They’re supposed to be an alternative to deadly force, not a default response to any failure to obey. Was the guy a threat to the officers or others? I’m inclined to give the cops the benefit of the doubt, but If he wasn’t a threat I can’t see how the Taser’s use is justified here. I’d be curious to hear from some law enforcement personnel what the guidelines are for using a Taser or similar device.
Lucky he wasn't in NYC or Chicago. They would've shot him.

What would have the Brits done?

What's the alternative?  Let him disobey a lawful order of a LEO and just keep running down the road?  Or does the LEO have to use some sort of physical force short of the taser in order to get the person to comply?  This of course means that the police have to get "hands on", this now means that they have exposed themselves to more potential danger in that now they are hands on with a person that has already disobeyed a lawful order.

Simple physical take downs very quickly turn into physical altercations with punches, kicking, and biting. 

So what would the alternative have been? Requiring the officers to put themselves at more risk by using physical force to subdue a person? 
Your post brings up a question -- Are police too quickly reaching for the taser? What offense is taserable and what is not. I mean, really, it's not like he was launching molotov cocktails at the police, he was simply running naked. And by your rationale the police can taze anybody who disobeys a lawful order because they don't want to get physical? What if it's `Pick up that cigarette butt you just threw on the ground.' `No.' `TAZE!' or `Hey under-21 guy, dump out that beer.' `No.' `TAZE!' I think the taser was meant for situations like `Drop the knife.' `No.' `TAZE!'

I don't know if your assumption about what the taser was meant for is correct.  It would be interesting to hear a LEO perspective.

I agree with you that there is certainly some line, what that line is I don't know.  I don't think the line is as far to one side as you paint it.  That is, use only as an alternative to deadly force and then only when the officer is being physically threatened in the respect of an actual assault or having a knife or weapon pointed at them.

Again, when you have someone resisting arrest, that is refusing to comply with being arrested, the next step is for the officers to either say "alright you're right we're going to let you go since you don't want to be arrested" or they have to effectuate the arrest.

Effectuating an arrest often, in this type of scenario, means putting hands on the person.  When you go hands on all sorts of things go down and they go down fast.  And the danger to the officer increases exponentially because now he is in physical contact with the person resisting.

Do they have to first go hands on, and then if a struggle then inccurrs that then they can use the taser?

By the way, the easy examples (like the ones you used) are easy for a reason.  And the reality of work on the road is far more nebulas than the 20 year old who refuses to put down his beer.

How about this example:  Arrive at a house party for a noise complaint.  There are more party goers than officers.  The officers comand the people to disperse.  People in the crowd start yelling obsenities at the police.  They walk toward the person they commanded and they go to cuff him and he tenses up and pulls his hands away.  The crowd starts coming closer and screaming.  What now?

or how about this one.  DUI stop in a rural area.  Two people in the car.  The officer takes the driver and passenger out of the car.  He walks the driver to the back of the car to start the DUI investigation.  The passenger suddenly runs into the woods.  The driver leans up against the back of the car with his arms crossed on his chest.  The officer orders him to the ground, but the driver just stands there with his arms crossed.  Now what?

Or this one.  Traffic stop in a rural area.  three people in the car.  As soon as the car stops the passenger door flies open and the front seat and back seat passengers go running into the woods.  The driver puts his hands up on the roof of the interior of the car.  He is ordered out of the car,  But he won't comply.  He is ordered several times out of the car, but won't comply.  What now?

(By the way, on this particular incident involving the race...ever tried to tackle a nekked sweaty guy?  The odd thing is most LEO's know what it's like, especially if the started as CO's.  It's like trying to grab a greased pig)

2011-05-26 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3515016

User image

Champion
Chicago
Too long to answerr so I'll just say `Call for backup in those cases.'

Anyway, I would like to point out that I'm of the notion that the guy deserved to get tasered. I may be wrong, but this seems like a good case when it's best just to zap him and carry him away rather than trying to chase him down and turn it into a game of hide-n-seek amongst the other runners who were trying to help him get away.
2011-05-26 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3519583

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Brock Samson - 2011-05-26 8:12 AM

You can run naked in the Bay To Breakers Race in San Francisco...and drunk and high for that matter.

Me being new and all to the Tri world, i've never seen a grown man or woman drop a deuce on the side of the road during a race, nor do i care to.

This guys excuse seems pretty lame, but valid. Anyone who has been stopped by the cops knows that if your stopped, what your doing will be coming to an end. Brett knew this and apparently wanted to finish the race, she he kept on going. And I GOTTA agree that tasers are meant to stop a threat to the officer, not for failure to comply.

Yeah, I agree too. They’re supposed to be an alternative to deadly force, not a default response to any failure to obey. Was the guy a threat to the officers or others? I’m inclined to give the cops the benefit of the doubt, but If he wasn’t a threat I can’t see how the Taser’s use is justified here. I’d be curious to hear from some law enforcement personnel what the guidelines are for using a Taser or similar device.

What's the alternative?  Let him disobey a lawful order of a LEO and just keep running down the road?  Or does the LEO have to use some sort of physical force short of the taser in order to get the person to comply?  This of course means that the police have to get "hands on", this now means that they have exposed themselves to more potential danger in that now they are hands on with a person that has already disobeyed a lawful order.

Simple physical take downs very quickly turn into physical altercations with punches, kicking, and biting. 

So what would the alternative have been? Requiring the officers to put themselves at more risk by using physical force to subdue a person? 
Your post brings up a question -- Are police too quickly reaching for the taser? What offense is taserable and what is not. I mean, really, it's not like he was launching molotov cocktails at the police, he was simply running naked. And by your rationale the police can taze anybody who disobeys a lawful order because they don't want to get physical? What if it's `Pick up that cigarette butt you just threw on the ground.' `No.' `TAZE!' or `Hey under-21 guy, dump out that beer.' `No.' `TAZE!' I think the taser was meant for situations like `Drop the knife.' `No.' `TAZE!'

I don't know if your assumption about what the taser was meant for is correct.  It would be interesting to hear a LEO perspective.

I agree with you that there is certainly some line, what that line is I don't know.  I don't think the line is as far to one side as you paint it.  That is, use only as an alternative to deadly force and then only when the officer is being physically threatened in the respect of an actual assault or having a knife or weapon pointed at them.

Again, when you have someone resisting arrest, that is refusing to comply with being arrested, the next step is for the officers to either say "alright you're right we're going to let you go since you don't want to be arrested" or they have to effectuate the arrest.

Effectuating an arrest often, in this type of scenario, means putting hands on the person.  When you go hands on all sorts of things go down and they go down fast.  And the danger to the officer increases exponentially because now he is in physical contact with the person resisting.

Do they have to first go hands on, and then if a struggle then inccurrs that then they can use the taser?

By the way, the easy examples (like the ones you used) are easy for a reason.  And the reality of work on the road is far more nebulas than the 20 year old who refuses to put down his beer.

How about this example:  Arrive at a house party for a noise complaint.  There are more party goers than officers.  The officers comand the people to disperse.  People in the crowd start yelling obsenities at the police.  They walk toward the person they commanded and they go to cuff him and he tenses up and pulls his hands away.  The crowd starts coming closer and screaming.  What now?

or how about this one.  DUI stop in a rural area.  Two people in the car.  The officer takes the driver and passenger out of the car.  He walks the driver to the back of the car to start the DUI investigation.  The passenger suddenly runs into the woods.  The driver leans up against the back of the car with his arms crossed on his chest.  The officer orders him to the ground, but the driver just stands there with his arms crossed.  Now what?

Or this one.  Traffic stop in a rural area.  three people in the car.  As soon as the car stops the passenger door flies open and the front seat and back seat passengers go running into the woods.  The driver puts his hands up on the roof of the interior of the car.  He is ordered out of the car,  But he won't comply.  He is ordered several times out of the car, but won't comply.  What now?

(By the way, on this particular incident involving the race...ever tried to tackle a nekked sweaty guy?  The odd thing is most LEO's know what it's like, especially if the started as CO's.  It's like trying to grab a greased pig)

In all cases presented, does everyone speak and understand English?

2011-05-26 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3519633

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
mr2tony - 2011-05-26 9:36 AM Too long to answerr so I'll just say `Call for backup in those cases.' Anyway, I would like to point out that I'm of the notion that the guy deserved to get tasered. I may be wrong, but this seems like a good case when it's best just to zap him and carry him away rather than trying to chase him down and turn it into a game of hide-n-seek amongst the other runners who were trying to help him get away.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you think back up takes in a rural area?  What do you do while back up is on the way?  Do you sit in the car?  What happens if after you call for back up the driver at the back of his car starts walking toward the drivers compartment of his car.  He's going back into the car?
2011-05-26 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3519636

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
1stTimeTri - 2011-05-26 9:37 AM
Brock Samson - 2011-05-26 8:12 AM

In all cases presented, does everyone speak and understand English?

I'll play.  Assume either "yes" or the officer doesn't know...
2011-05-26 10:05 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
We disect officers actions in the comfort of offices, in the comfort of our offices while we type our well thought out answers on a community web board after having thought about what we think should have happened.

But the reality is...things happen fast in the field, and officers want to go home at night.  The two most deadly situations for our LEO's are domestic calls and traffic stops.

So in my third scenario, after the two guys run into the woods and the driver won't get out of the car, he then leans down toward the floor boards...what do you do?

Answer, right now....because that's the amount of time you have to think about what you're going to do.  A second, two at the most.

Is he reaching for his walet?  A gun? Do you wait to see?  Do you draw your service side arm?  Do you use your taser?  Do you back off and possibly get into a vehicle chase if he takes off?  

You have to process all these possibilities in a matter of a second. 

It's not sitting in front of your computer reading and thinking about your answer.

2011-05-26 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

A Taser is a tool/weapon, just like the club or the sidearm - part of the force continuum.

You are not supposed to use a weapon for compliance. Ie, if an old lady is sitting in her car refusing your order to get out, you are not allowed to whip out your club and start beating her. That's the same thing as using a taser. You are on fire for 5 seconds, with barbed fish hooks buried under your skin. It is for when a suspect is a physical threat to you or others, that's it.

I absolutely agree that if it's a choice between a physical wrestling match or a taser, the taser has less likelyhood of damage to the officer. It doesn't matter how tough/strong you are. But a lot of cops are being lazy and using the weapon when it's not even a physical altercation. Plus you can use the taser as a shock/stun prod without actually firing it which is far better.

2011-05-26 11:31 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
When the Taser was first introduced, it was presented as an alternative to deadly force, not as an alternative to any kind of physical contact whatsoever. If a grandmother suffering from dementia or a mentally ill 285-lb teenager charges the cops with a carving knife, instead of having to shoot them, they could now protect themselves using non-lethal force.

My sense, to Tony’s point, is that some cops and other LEO’s are a little quick on the trigger with the thing. I’m thinking in particular of the “don’t tase me bro!” incident, among others. (Although, to be fair, anyone who uses the word “bro” should probably be tased just on principle.)

I’m not sure what law-enforcement protocols are regarding the use of the Taser, and I don’t have all the details in this case. I’d be curious to know more about both.
2011-05-26 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3517238

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

gearboy - 2011-05-25 12:23 AM
mrbbrad - 2011-05-24 11:11 AMI HATE misleading headlines like this. It had nothing to do with a wardrobe malfunction, or minimalist running, or public nudity. The guy got tased  for refusing to stop when told to do so by police. If he had stopped when told he would not have been tased, naked or not.
It's not misleading. You just have to go back a step or two. Yes,the most proximal reason he was tased was not stopping. But why did the cop tell him to stop in the first place? (Hint - probably not for banditing the race.)To say it had nothing to do with his running naked is to be as literal as the adolescents I see on my psych unit who claim their parents are unreasonably mad at them, when earlier in the situation at home they had cursed out the parent or became destructive at home.

Are you calling me a crazy teenager?

2011-05-26 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3518251

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

In this case I'm guessing not wanting to tackle and wrestle a naked guy.

2011-05-26 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

Wow

I hope race directors don't start tasering us during  transition set, T-1 or T-2 because there is on occasion equipment malfunctions

Kevin

2011-05-26 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
2011-05-27 4:46 AM
in reply to: #3519817

User image

Champion
Chicago
Brock Samson - 2011-05-26 9:57 AM

mr2tony - 2011-05-26 9:36 AM Too long to answerr so I'll just say `Call for backup in those cases.' Anyway, I would like to point out that I'm of the notion that the guy deserved to get tasered. I may be wrong, but this seems like a good case when it's best just to zap him and carry him away rather than trying to chase him down and turn it into a game of hide-n-seek amongst the other runners who were trying to help him get away.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you think back up takes in a rural area?  What do you do while back up is on the way?  Do you sit in the car?  What happens if after you call for back up the driver at the back of his car starts walking toward the drivers compartment of his car.  He's going back into the car?

I may be wrong but I believe police officers are instructed on how to deal with these scenarios you speak of. But the reality, in this case, is that the guy was a naked guy running through the streets. He wasn't carrying a gun, he wasn't reaching into his glove compartment (ick) and he wasn't trying to get back into his car.

Yes, police officers have a very tough time out there, I'll agree with that. But in this certain case, I can see why the use of a taser would be called into question.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » KC Marathoner tasered for 'minimalist' runnnig Rss Feed  

of 2