General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Break Down For Travel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-26 4:46 PM

Phoenix
Subject: Bike Break Down For Travel

So, it appears that I will be traveling to OH for the Giant Eagle Tri in late July!  I will be bring my bike on the plane with me in a Thule hard case.  My question is about the break down and setting back up afterward for those of you who travel with your bike.  I've had my bike fitted and I really don't want to mess up any of the measurements/adjustments that took place during my fitting.  I know that I can get a print out of my the measurements but the fine adjustments are what scare me.  Like the position that my handle bars are in.  What do you do to make sure you get everything back into the correct possition?  Do you make little hash marks on the bike to make sure that you getting everything back in the correct spot? 

2011-05-26 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3520805

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Bike Break Down For Travel
I would put tape on the bars before I moved anything. I would also take pictures before loosening.
2011-05-26 5:45 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I use blue masking tape to mark everything. I'm always a little nervous and will get a mini-tune at the race site if it is available just to be on the safe side. I've been fortunate in that the races that I've done have had a bike "shop" available the few days before my event. It was like $25 for them to check over the bike and make any minor adjustments to derailleurs, etc.

One other thing, I read of a guy that did not tighten his seat enough and it fell off mid-race. Must have been a nightmare. I try to get there early enough to take it for a spin after re-assembly to prevent something like this.

Edited by popsracer 2011-05-26 5:48 PM
2011-05-27 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
X3 I used scotch tape even for my seat post. Pic are great to. I highly recomend having it looked over. When I did they even made some suggestion and made minor changes that were for the better. I used the same case it has foam pads but I still used extra hand towels. They were duel purpose padding and later for cleaning. I would zip tie the case not lock It. It WILL be looked at
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Break Down For Travel Rss Feed