General Discussion Race Reports! » BRATS Salute To The Military Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

BRATS Salute To The Military Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vint Hill, Virginia
United States
Bristow Tri & Swim
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 40s
Overall Rank = 117/152
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 15/17
Swim
  • 06m 58s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had estimated a swim time of 6 minutes. The swim got pretty packed in about halfway through my swim. At one point I was stacked up behind 3 swimmers at the wall at about the 150m mark. I also was passed by 2 swimmers. I was most nervous about the swim (like many folks who do tris) but it seemed like the time flew by, and I was out of the pool and on my way to T1.
What would you do differently?:

More swimming practice. I only started swimming consistently 2 months ago. Not sure what I could have done differenly in the actual race. I felt I was seeded properly, although as I was watching the first 60 swimmers go off it was apparent some may have overestimated their swim, or maybe they were just having a bad day. Who knows.
Transition 1
  • 05m 9s
Comments:

T1 was an "experience" to say the least. I knew I was moving slow but was somewhat suprised to see the time. No issues in T1 per se, just me moving slow.

Where do I begin? Practice transitions, move with a sense of purpose, on and on. T1 was ugly but there's a lot of room fro improvement :-)
Bike
  • 45m 12s
  • 11.75 miles
  • 15.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was OK, but I was hoping for better performance. Overall it appeared as though the times were a little down from last year, maybe because of the 3 u-turns in the race this year. Back end of the course had some nice rolls in it. Got passed by a couple of people but I passed a couple as well. Need to look at getting more aero on the bike vs the Sunday ride style I tend to use.

Like the swim I need more training. Only started riding 2 months ago and only once a week. More focused workouts and rides.
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

T2 was better than T1, but still slow. This will improve with practice and more racing.

Everything practically. Even getting off the bike was slow. Practice Practice Practice.
Run
  • 35m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a disaster. The wheels came off on this leg of the event. Had to walk a few stretches.

Clearly more/longer bricks are in order, as well as longer runs in general. I was following the training plan in "The Idiot's Guide to Triathlons" (don't laugh - it's actually a good book :-))and the longest transition run they had as part of the training was 15 minutes. I could do this comfortably, but clearly was not enough for me personally.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Too much weight to carry around at 240lbs (I am 6'6" though)

Event comments:

For my first time doing a tri in about 18 years, I can't be too upset. I have alot of room for improvement and feel my next one will be much better. The event was very nice (although there was a bike rack missing in the transition area that created some confusion) and the volunteers were great. My family commented that I "looked great" at the end of the run. Clearly I had a some in the tank and I was dogging it at the end. Goal time going in was 1:30, and even though I missed the time, I still had a wonderful experience.

Last updated: 2011-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:58 | 328 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 81/152
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:09
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:12 | 11.75 miles | 15.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 82/152
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:14 | 03.11 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/17
Overall: 132/152
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-30 7:59 AM

NOVA, USA
Subject: BRATS Salute To The Military Triathlon

2011-05-30 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3524230

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: BRATS Salute To The Military Triathlon

Great job out there, it was a nice morning for a race!

Congrats on making your way back to tri's.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BRATS Salute To The Military Triathlon Rss Feed