www.crim.org
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 51s
Overall Rank = 720/1482
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/90
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15am to get ready to drive to the race. Packed everything up, woke up the kids and headed out. Got re-routed by tons of construction, which put us arriving a little later than we'd planned. Picked up packets, and set up at the 10-miler start line to watch grillmaster's race. Wandered around looking for people, and saw nliedel & her family. Drank a chocolate milk for breakfast ;) It was about at this point I realized that I really had to go potty. I hate using porta-potties though, and with C1 and C2 to watch over (too many people to leave them alone for more than a minute), I was SOL. This was probably a factor in the race.
Event warmup:

Walked from the 10-miler start area down the block to the finish area carrying 4 lawnchairs, a cooler, and a backpack, while herding the kids along. Stood for an hour watching for the MI Mafia & grillmaster to finish. Watched some Kenyans win :) Also saw a Kenyan runner (I think he was 4th) get taken out by a hand-cyclist who got routed into the same finish corral as the Kenyan, and who couldn't stop in time. I hope the Kenyan is okay, but it was kinda funny to see happen (like a cartoon almost).

Walked to the 5K start-line. Drank a Red Bull. The announcer said the humidity was at approx 90%, and there was a huge storm rolling in. Yeah :(
Run
  • 30m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I kept a pretty good pace. The first mile was way too fast, and I was doing some dodging. Second mile was slower than I'd hoped, but I was having a difficult time getting a good breathing rhythm going--I think this was exacerbated by the humidity. Third mile was good. I started my sprint with about a quarter mile to go. Here's where my race got screwed up. I was going by the Garmin distances, and I started sprinting with a quarter mile to go, but there was almost ½ mile left to the finish line. I ended up having a good sprint, but not being able to maintain it long enough, and I had to ease up, until I saw the finish line. I sprinted to the finish, and, for the first time, got out sprinted by someone (usually they're all so far ahead of me). By the time I hit the end, I was pretty sure I was going to collapse, but I managed to stay on my feet until I found Dwayne.
What would you do differently?:

Run a course that is actually 3.1 miles long instead of 3.3 miles ;) If the Garmin is right, I ran a 28:52 5K, BUT official time is official time, and that's what I have to go by.

Use the Garmin, but not look at it, or at least, not count on the distances matching.

I still have a lot to do to improve my endurance--which I think will improve my 5K times. Marathon training will help immensely with this.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my way to D and the kids. We walked around, and finally located rkreuser, trixie and G8RSAX. Stood around for a few minutes chatting, then, realizing that the rain was arriving, booked it for the car. Decided to bail on the kids 1/4 mile race. We'll do a mock one tomorrow for them.

The rain was crazy driving home. We're just glad to have made it safely back. Saw at least one rollover accident on the freeway.

Was great to meet G8RSAX, wish we'd had more time to talk, but the storm really curtailed that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. I mean, even with the 30:36 time, it's almost 1½ minutes faster than my fastest 5K so far, and that was in June. I'm really improving alot, and I just have to continue training to continue to see results.

(My age-group rank is absurdly high--probably because all the "good" runners were doing the 10-miler or the 8K)

Event comments:

It's a good race, but not terribly family-friendly, because there's just SOO many people there (I think 7000 people ran the 10-miler). We've had more fun (with the kids) at the smaller races.

The rain didn't help. There were lots of cool things set up for the kids, that we just didn't have time to check out before the storm started.

Not sure if we'll do this one again next year. If we do, we'll stay in Flint, instead of driving up the morning of, and probably leave the kids at home.

Last updated: 2005-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:36 | 03.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/90
Overall: 720/1482
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 8:42 @ 166bpm Mile 2: 9:32 @ 181bpm Mile 3: 9:44 @ 187bpm Mile .3:8:42 @ 193bpm
Course: Crazy course with lots of turns. My Garmin measured this course long by .2 miles (it also measured the 10-miler .2 miles long. Thoughts are that the first mile was long.)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-27 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON
Subject: Crim Festival of Races 5K
Here it is. The CRIM Personal Best-Fest. Wasn't as fast as I hoped for, but for the high humidity conditions & the huge numbers of people, I'll take it. Official time is about 15 seconds slower than my watch time (and I swear the course was long ;) )

Edited by Rennick 2005-08-27 6:30 PM

2005-08-28 9:08 PM
in reply to: #235453

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Crim Festival of Races 5K

Congrats on a great race Jean!!  You've come a long way baby!!    I wish we had more time to chat too...fromering weather!!   NEXT TIME!!

2005-08-28 10:08 PM
in reply to: #235453

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: RE: Crim Festival of Races 5K
great race!! those damn distances - i always wonder how they measure them and if they're always terribly accurate. my last sprint tri, i'm positive the bike course was closer to 13.5 vs the advertised 15 miles.
anyway, way to sprint the extra distance!!!
nice job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crim Festival of Races 5K Rss Feed