General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lessons from DNS's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-27 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: Lessons from DNS's

I’ve been pondering my tri’less season, as the summer is starting to fade and the local races are finished. At this time last fall, I had completed a season of 4 tri events, and a ½ marathon (all firsts for me), and had a plan for a 1/2IM in July/05. This didn't happen, instead I lost countless miles of training BUT I gained precious miles in the lessons of life, and in the process found freedom. So....

Some lessons learned from my DNS’s:

1. Training can get me through many difficult parts of life, but not the hell parts of life.  
  2. When my children are hurting, training doesn’t help.
  3. When I literally and figuratively can’t stand up anymore – I have family and friends who hold me up.  
  4. Listen to my body – when the mind, soul and body are exhausted, let it heal. There is no other way.
  5. There will hopefully be other years of training and  racing – but if for some reason life provides unexpected roads which prevent this, I know it will also provide new adventures.
  6. Mental strength and endurance can come from many places aside from the road or pool, and are equally important.
  7. Coming back to training is like finding an old familiar friend waiting for me.
  8. And lastly – enjoy wholeheartedly the bubbles of joy that I feel at once again doing the swim/bike/run!

Are there others who learnt far more than they expected from a DNS??

2005-08-27 8:31 PM
in reply to: #235498

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: RE: Lessons from DNS's
Thanks for sharing! Awesome thoughts.  It sounds like you've had a summer even more intense then mine.  The difference is, I've been able to get to the starting line, and the successes I've had helped me through the sadness.  Numbers 3 & 4 are sooooo important, and whether we make it to the starting line or not those two points are key.  Right now I'm having to listen to my body, and not let myself get mentally and physically burned out.
2005-08-27 10:20 PM
in reply to: #235498

User image

Veteran
Cypress, Tx
Subject: RE: Lessons from DNS's
Triathlon is more than just the competition, the quest for PR's, the battle against your own limitations.

Triathlon is about living....life....outside....enjoying the world...swimming in an ocean because you can, watching the sunrise come up over the horizon while you ride miles in silence, listening to nature as you run through the park. It's about enjoying living...feeling your heart race...feeling your pores open up with sweat...feeling alive!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lessons from DNS's Rss Feed