General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri-ing to get rid of the fat! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-28 2:42 PM

Subject: Tri-ing to get rid of the fat!
Hey everybody!  Over the past year I have been working out to get fit and loose weight.  I have to say the over the past two weeks I have felt more progress that the past year.  Over the past year I have focused on bodybuilding, which I have found out may not be for someone who is looking to go from 212 to 180 pounds.  Protien shakes and creatine are good for certain people, but ever since a friend of mine (KYROCKET) turned me onto training for my first Tri have I found out real progress.
My week program is Mon-Spin Class, Tues-Run, Wed-Swim, Thurs-Brick, Fri-Spin Class, Sat-Swim, Sun-Off.  I try and work in some core workouts as well.  My diet is still five to six meals a day and a gallon of water.  No Suppliments.  Smoothies, Fruit, Nuts for snacks. 

Any advice is welcome.  I learned alot about bodybuilding, but I think that my efforts may have been wasted on the hype.  Why Tri?  I have a big frame, a 20 pound spare tire and no equipment, just a Y card. 

Those are my questions.  I love the workouts, but I don't want to burn out.

Greg

2005-08-28 4:56 PM
in reply to: #235766

User image

Ft Leavenworth, KS
Subject: RE: Tri-ing to get rid of the fat!
Sombody from my hometown!! Welcome to BT!! I was going to reply strictly based on your subject line, but then I saw you were from home...

If you're looking to lose weight, triathlon is a great way to do it - I've lost about 15 pounds and 5% body fat since I started about four months ago. This is a great way to improve fitness without the boredom that set in from lifting weights and running.

I was in Owensboro this summer and did a couple of swims at the Healthpark. For biking, check with Quality Bike Shop (I think it's the only bike shop in town) about their road ride schedule. When I was in this summer I stopped in there and they do a couple of long rides each week as a group. I don't know if there's any membership involved, but even if there is, riding with better bikers never hurts.

If you need a bike, you can check out the forums here on BT, E-bay, etc. and see if you can get a good deal. At the very least, I would recommend going to a bike shop and get a good frame/bike size estimate before buying. I'm new to tri and bought a relatively low end bike and then put some add-ons to make it newbie racer ready without breaking the bank.

Best of luck to you,
Jason
2005-08-29 11:20 PM

User image

Ft Leavenworth, KS
Oh - on the subject of getting rid of fay, my wife said to stay away from Moonlite!

It's probably a good thing I live far, far away...

Jason
2005-08-30 7:54 AM

That has become a twice a year item.  The big thing for me has been giving up Ice Cream at night and then having a good weekend.  I have found that I graze to much on the weekends.  It is easy to stick to my diet at the office, but very difficult on the weekends.  I also have had to stop going out to eat everyday at lunch.  One for the cash savings, but two for the calories.

When did you guys move?  Did you go to church anywhere around here?  I know half of Owensboro with my work and wifes family.  We go to Bellevue on East Byers Ave.  I work with nGenX.
2005-08-31 2:10 AM
in reply to: #237240

User image

Ft Leavenworth, KS
I'll be eating Moonlite this weekend; my family and I are heading to town tomorrow (sadly, my grandmother passed away in town on Monday).

We'll be in town until next Tuesday. If I get a chance, I'll message you through BT and see if you want to meet up for a workout.

I left town after college 1992 (I'm in the military). I grew up out in the country off Thruston Dermont Road, and attended the county schools (DCMS & DCHS). We attend St. Pius X on 60.

Jason
2005-09-02 12:22 PM

Regular
Mound, MN
Go Cardnials! Opps I hope you're a Louisville Fan. Welcome! Ok so I'm a new guy too but I started out for the same reasons. I had done a lot of weights when I was younger, but at 36 years old, I stepped on the scale, after loosing weight, and I still came in at 229. Now, using the height and weight BMI thing, I'm down to 204, and a BMI of 25, no longer an overweight fellow. Still have my sights set on 190, but it will happen. Good Luck to you!

Jay

2005-09-03 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Michigan
Welcome to the site and keep up the good work.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri-ing to get rid of the fat! Rss Feed