Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-06-08 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3539551

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA
Subject: RE: Tattoos: A discussion
zed707 - 2011-06-08 1:28 PM ^^^ WOW!! How cool was that. You were RIGHT THERE! Great video. I love searching youtube for IM finishes. Like you said, that's what it's all about. Thanks.

Here ya go....  Here is my 32 seconds of fame, made available by my friend and mentor, who got me off my a$$ at 44 years old, 165 lbs, and not able to run a mile on a tread mill, to start running and I did a 1/2 mary..  After that I had several 26.2's and then on to triathlon..  But first I had to get over my fear of ANY open water situation and "I can't..." from my vocabulary..  Past those nah-sayers who had the audasity to question me and ask "You're doing an half IM already?"..  Like I had to wait some specific time frame..  Screw them..  Looking fear in the eyes and shutting out the nah-sayers, I lived a dream..  It took me 16 hrs and 20 mins to get there, and had to watch Rudy Garcia Tolsen leave me in the dust at mile 25, but I became an Ironman, 5 weeks before my 50th birthday.  I won't bore people with my life story and all the difficulities I had to overcome, but I am always willing to help, to support, and to encourage athletes of any size or age, even while racing...  I have tatts and a great IM tatt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpe5KEkMzd8#

If you listen carefully, you will hear a man's voice calling out "LOUUUUUU"..  That is my friend Jeff, who is greatly responsible for me being an Ironman...

Lori

Edited by TriBabe2006 2011-06-08 9:23 PM

2011-06-08 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3539998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Connecticut
TriBabe2006 - 2011-06-08 10:20 PM

zed707 - 2011-06-08 1:28 PM ^^^ WOW!! How cool was that. You were RIGHT THERE! Great video. I love searching youtube for IM finishes. Like you said, that's what it's all about. Thanks.

Here ya go....  Here is my 32 seconds of fame, made available by my friend and mentor, who got me off my a$$ at 44 years old, 165 lbs, and not able to run a mile on a tread mill, to start running and I did a 1/2 mary..  After that I had several 26.2's and then on to triathlon..  But first I had to get over my fear of ANY open water situation and "I can't..." from my vocabulary..  Past those nah-sayers who had the audasity to question me and ask "You're doing an half IM already?"..  Like I had to wait some specific time frame..  Screw them..  Looking fear in the eyes and shutting out the nah-sayers, I lived a dream..  It took me 16 hrs and 20 mins to get there, and had to watch Rudy Garcia Tolsen leave me in the dust at mile 25, but I became an Ironman, 5 weeks before my 50th birthday.  I won't bore people with my life story and all the difficulities I had to overcome, but I am always willing to help, to support, and to encourage athletes of any size or age, even while racing...  I have tatts and a great IM tatt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpe5KEkMzd8#

If you listen carefully, you will hear a man's voice calling out "LOUUUUUU"..  That is my friend Jeff, who is greatly responsible for me being an Ironman...

Lori

Go LOUUUUU! Great video. I love how this thread is evolving and transforming.
2011-06-08 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3540019

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA
thank you.. forgot to mention, the shorts I am wearing are genuine "Scott Tinley" cycling shorts, circa 1978...  they didn't offer much in support but I am happy to say my butt wasn't jigglin!  and Lou is my work nic..  looooooooooooong story, and the flash you see from a camera, turned out to be my 85 year old dad taking my picture..  he didn't realize it was me; he said he saw a racer and just took the picture..  here is the link to my IMAZ story in pictures...  Hope you enjoy them as much I enjoyed being there..  These were taken by my dad, my friend Jeff, and my friend Danna...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=13694

Tongue out

Edited by TriBabe2006 2011-06-08 10:11 PM
2011-06-08 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3533276

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Great video and pics, Lori! I love this stuff. Good job, Ironman.
2011-06-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3538837

User image

Tyler, Tx
kagoscuba - 2011-06-08 10:15 AM
Artemis - 2011-06-08 11:02 AM

mrbbrad - 2011-06-08 10:24 AM I once watched a show on TLC or Discovery about body art. They asked a young man who was getting tattoed why he thought so many young people were getting tattoos. He said so many people are getting tattooed "these days" because they want to "express their individuality." I'm reminded of the exquisite irony of that statement every time one of these threads pops up.

Do you assume everyone with tattoos is trying to express their individuality?  Or just a subset of them?

I know it's probably coming off as snarky, but I really am curious how people without tattoos perceive those of us with tattoos.

The only difference between people with tattoos and those without tattoos is, people with tattoos do not mind people without tattoos.  That is my experience roughly 80% of the time. (I make up my own statistics....I'm hoping for a government job in Economics soon)

You seem well qualified for that position! 

Being that I got my first tattoo last week "IMTX" I have already seen how some people seem almost offended by my tat.  You would think I tattooed something bad about their religion, grandma, or little sister.  One woman's mood actually changed for the rest of the day.  I have known her for many years and her response was "I can't believe you are one of those people now!"  Wow!  Really??  So I guess by getting a tat I am now in some sub-class of society.  If that is the case, I am glad to make the change, who would want to be in that class anyways!  I posted my Ink pic earlier so I won't here...I would hate to offend anyone Wink

2011-06-09 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3538837

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodstock, MD
kagoscuba - 2011-06-08 11:15 AM

The only difference between people with tattoos and those without tattoos is, people with tattoos do not mind people without tattoos.  That is my experience roughly 80% of the time. (I make up my own statistics....I'm hoping for a government job in Economics soon)

What's that line? Something about three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics...

2011-06-09 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3540449

User image

Champion
Chicago
TxMatt - 2011-06-09 8:37 AM

kagoscuba - 2011-06-08 10:15 AM
Artemis - 2011-06-08 11:02 AM

mrbbrad - 2011-06-08 10:24 AM I once watched a show on TLC or Discovery about body art. They asked a young man who was getting tattoed why he thought so many young people were getting tattoos. He said so many people are getting tattooed "these days" because they want to "express their individuality." I'm reminded of the exquisite irony of that statement every time one of these threads pops up.

Do you assume everyone with tattoos is trying to express their individuality?  Or just a subset of them?

I know it's probably coming off as snarky, but I really am curious how people without tattoos perceive those of us with tattoos.

You seem well qualified for that position! 

Being that I got my first tattoo last week "IMTX" I have already seen how some people seem almost offended by my tat.  You would think I tattooed something bad about their religion, grandma, or little sister.  One woman's mood actually changed for the rest of the day.  I have known her for many years and her response was "I can't believe you are one of those people now!"  Wow!  Really??  So I guess by getting a tat I am now in some sub-class of society.  If that is the case, I am glad to make the change, who would want to be in that class anyways!  I posted my Ink pic earlier so I won't here...I would hate to offend anyone Wink

Funny. I was getting ready to run home from work one day and my boss's boss said `You have a TATTOO!?'

Apparently in the UK only sailors and ``yobs'' have tats. Maybe that's from where the stigma in the US comes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tattoos: A discussion Rss Feed  

of 5