General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone run the Philly Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-05 7:14 PM

Subject: Anyone run the Philly Tri?

i am running my first tri, nyc in aug, but wanted a practice race, cause im worried that i need to experience an actual race at least once before my actual goal.  id run it maybe 75%, just to get a feel.

is there a strong current?  as always, im worried about my swimming in general.

can you describe the bike course?  i didnt get out on my bike as much as i would have like, though i was on my trainer regularly. mostly b/c there's not many places to train in nyc.  hills (up and down, to tell the truth) worry me.  im always fumbling with gears when going up, and kinda scared of going fast when going down.

im pretty confident running wise.

of course, theres only a month in between philly and nyc, so if i do find a huge deficiency in my training its not like i can do that much about it...

2011-06-05 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3533746

Subject: RE: Anyone run the Philly Tri?

I'm doing the Philly olympic as my second tri, my first was this morning on Staten Island. From what I have been told both the Philly and NYC are swimming with the current so they shouldn't be that bad. I know the area and the two loops on the bike for Philly don't look that bad. You would be surprised what you can do in a month if you know what to focus on.

2011-06-06 5:15 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Are you doing the Sprint or Olympic distance? The Olympic distance swim is point to point, downstream, with the current. The Sprint is a rectangular swim course, I believe, with the first leg swimming upstream. There is a current in the Schuylkill, but it's not super strong.... The bike course has a few climbs, and a couple of tight turns coming off of downhills - so watch yourself on those.... Sprint course is one, loop, Olympic 2 loops. Expect the bike course to be crowded. If you have any other questions, try posting over on the Pennsylvania Forum, you'll get some good info there.
2011-06-06 6:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I volunteered in 2009 and raced the Olympic in 2010. We were not able to swim last year because a Sprint participant had drowned and they were still searching the river for him. They made it a run/bike/run and it was super-duper hot, so I can't tell you much about the water. In 2009, if I remember correctly, they bussed you from transition across the river to one of the boathouses, and you swam downstream across the river. If I remember correctly, you had to swim back upstream after the last buoy to get out of the water.

If they use the same course for the bike, it's two loops. I think there is one significant climb and one significant descent. It gets pretty narrow in a few places, and there is at least one narrow, tight turn on a downhill that struck me as kinda scary.

I had planned to do swim/bike/quit last year. When they cancelled the swim, and since they were kicking me out of tranisition anyway, I decided to do the first run leg. I'm pretty sure the run course is pretty flat, and bound to be really, really hot.

Good luck!

2011-06-06 7:12 AM

User image

Pro

I'm doing the sprint course this year. It is my second tri. I live by the Art Museum just at the edge of the course. I know that T3triathlon, the local group I'm involved with, is doing practice bike rides on both courses this week. I'll probably do both and can post a report when I'm done. I've run the course and along the river it's entirely flat, but it's a little hilly on the Edgley Field/Mount Pleasant loops. From looking at the map the Olympic just extends the course through the east side of Fairmount Park (Sweetbriar loop) and there is one uphill but not too bad. I run this all the time.

Both runs are along the river and are entirely flat. Yay!

Can't say much about the Schuylkill since I've never swam it. Philly natives have a bad memory of when it was an open sewer, although I have a friend at EPA who says it's quite clean for an urban river.

I was there last year as a volunteer and it was a difficult time due to the drowning on Saturday and the cancelled swim/heat on Sunday. Saw lots of my friends really struggling with cramps.

Almost got punched out by a few people too - I was working the exit from T2 and one of the race officials came over and told me to let people know they were shutting the course due to heat. People wanted to finish no matter what!

2011-06-06 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Water was remarkably clean.  You can monitor water conditions here: http://www.phillyrivercast.org/.  The current during the sprint is a factor on the first leg towards the Columbia Ave. Bridge.  The Oly is with current (bonus) until the end when you have to swim perpendicular to the current to exit (same issue for the sprint).

2011-06-06 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3534264

Veteran
Denver
moldoverb - 2011-06-06 7:12 AM

Can't say much about the Schuylkill since I've never swam it. Philly natives have a bad memory of when it was an open sewer, although I have a friend at EPA who says it's quite clean for an urban river.

I graduated from Drexel 15 years ago and lived by the Art Museum for years. I would never imagine that you could swim in the Schuylkill. I'm glad to hear they have cleaned it up and it is fit for swimming.

Fairmount is a beautiful park and I imagine it would be a great place to run a race. I might think about heading home to give this race a shot next year. It would be a lot of fun.
2011-06-06 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3535026

User image

Pro

If you are a runner or bike it is a great place to live.You have the 8.5 mile loop path around the river, 12 miles of maintained trails in Wissahickon, and the 25 mile bike path to Valley Forge.

Do the Philly marathon or ING half marathon, also called PDR (Philly Distance Run). Both courses are flat and fast, and a lot of people do PDR as a marathon tuneup. Weather has been good the last couple years, too.

I was out of Philly for 19 years on and it's amazing how nice it is. From my door to the Art Museum steps is .41 miles, according to Garmin

Less than 3 blocks from the start and finish of the above races. I become the baggage claim/porta-potty/BBQ stop before and after races and I love it.

2011-06-06 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodstock, MD
You guys are making me homesick. I grew up in Philly, still have friends and family there. But my job isn't there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone run the Philly Tri? Rss Feed