General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So how does a pool swim work? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-06 10:36 AM

New user

Subject: So how does a pool swim work?

I am thinking about signing up for a local sprint that features a 300 yd pool swim.  This would be my second tri and much shorter than the 800m ows in the Clemson triathlon that I did last month.  300yd seems very easy but I didn't know the specifics of the swim.  Do people flip turn or is it too congested?  Pushing off the walls is ok I assume?  How about passing?  Just at the walls or is there room to pass (or be passed) during the swim?

The swim is an up and back in the same lane before going under the rope to the next lane.  It seems like it may turn out to be just a series of 25yd swims if it gets too crowded?

2011-06-06 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3534741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: So how does a pool swim work?
I'm sure there's variation among races.  I did a pool swim in May.  They had just two people per lane, shared lane (not circle), so you could do whatever you wanted in terms of turns, etc.  They assigned waves based on estimated swim times, and you just waited for your wave.  So there was no problem with congestion, passing, anything like that.
2011-06-06 10:46 AM

User image

Around here they're serpentine swim. Down one lane, up the next lane, down the next, etc. Yes you can pass but be sure to estimate your time well because you'll be behind six water angle making people if you don't. Sounds like your is similar only up and down one lane before you switch. Passing is going to be a trick.

Again, this is around here. Flip turns are not allowed, must touch wall on each side of the lane rope as you turn, your time starts when you hit the water so they will have it timed per your race number.

2011-06-06 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

I've done about 5-6 pool swim triathlons and they have all been a time trial start.  You enter your 100 yard time when you register and they seed you accordingly with the fastest swimmers starting in the front.  Then every 10 seconds they send another racer.  This format works pretty well and over 300 yards you should maybe only come in contact with 2 or 3 people at the most (if seeded correctly). 

For smaller races this time trial format works well but for larger races I have finished the entire race and there are still people who have yet to start.

2011-06-06 11:11 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I've got one of these coming up on Saturday.  I had to guess at my seed time because I've never swam an all out 300 yards.

I spent a good 10 minutes in excel converting my 25m times to yards and rounding down for it being a 300.  lol, i think i ended up with 1:30 per 100y so I'll either be getting run over, or I'll be running people over.

I think I'm going to swim an all out 300 tomorrow just to see where I come in at and see if they'll let me change my seed time.

2011-06-06 11:34 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Here's a video I took of a triathlon with a serpentine pool swim - sounds like what you're asking about.
You can see both flip turns and a pass at the beginning of the video.

2011-06-06 11:38 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
There are several variations possible for pool swims.

I've done a local olympic distance event with a pool swim. They have a 50m pool and up to 12 athletes per lane swimming circles, starting at 5 seconnd intervals and seeded according to self-reported times. Theoretically, it should work OK but in practice the pace people swim on the day of the event can vary from the reported pace for too many reasons. Many of these triathletes are not familiar with "foot tap / pass at the wall" etiquette. There is always passing and to have two abreast going each way, so 4 across the lane, is not uncommon. It gets cozy at times but no more so than lots of open water swim starts that I've been in. The only real problem is when you catch up to someone but can't quite sprint past them within 50m. Then, I just settle in and draft, giving up a little time but coming out of the pool very rested and hoping to make it up later.
2011-06-06 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
If it's a serpentine format, be prepared for a ZOO!!!!  as in lots of traffic - headon, from behind you and in front of you. 

It may not happen if there's not a lot of people and depending on the start interval, but I'd expect the worst and if it doesnt happen great.  People tend to make errors in their expected times and thus incorrectly seeded.  Not saying its intentional but it happens - both ways. Slow swimmers estimate too fast and fast swimmers estimate too low. 

Best of luck!
2011-06-06 12:18 PM

New user

Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like it could be quite a bit of fun!  At least it will be over (relatively) quickly!
2011-06-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3534969

User image

Clemson, SC
I am thinking about this one, but I don't know if I want to pay the $70 for a pool swim and short bike course. No one in my age group either . Looks like the perfect course for a beginner though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So how does a pool swim work? Rss Feed