General Discussion Race Reports! » Belle Isle Triathlon #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Belle Isle Triathlon #3 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Orlando, FL
United States
Belle Isle Foundation (belle-events.com)
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 59s
Overall Rank = /200+
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/23
Pre-race routine:

I got my gear all layed out prior to heading to the water.
Event warmup:

I did some swimming to loosen up.
Swim
  • 10m 16s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out pretty good but my HR jumped up quickly causeing me to be winded and resort to breathing only on my right side. I did fairly well with navigation however I'm just a slow swimmer, for now.
What would you do differently?:

Try to remain calm and focus on my breathing and swimming strokes. I need to spend more time swimming in open water to get more comfortable.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

My transition was okay and my HR settled down a bit while I put on my bike shoes, helmet, sweat band, sun glasses, grabbing my bike and running. There was a short distance to run to get out of the transition area to the pavement where I could mount my bike.

My time could be better if I ran faster between entering transition and leaving.
Bike
  • 34m
  • 11 miles
  • 19.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I really liked this course. It was really fast and at times I was able to race up to 24 mph. That was the good news. The bad news is the tail wind that was helping me. Once I turned around I headed right into the head-wind and my speed dropped down to ~19 mph. I was able to maintain at least 18-19 MPH for the next few miles until the road turned back to the north and my speed increased back to 20-21 mph.

I will continue to train to increase my endurance. At the end of this leg I was very winded.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I stopped first and then dismounted from my bike. I was very winded entering T2 so my transition was slower than it could be. After racking my bike I had to run around my rack to get to my shoes, then I had to walk a few feet to get my HR down.

don't walk. RUN!!!
Run
  • 28m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I started this leg pretty good but quickly faded as my HR climbed to the 170 range. On top of the high HR I was also very hot. For some reason I couldn't find my legs or lungs during this leg of the tri. I chose to stop at the first two aid stations to drink gatorade. While this game plan worked to lower my HR, it also worked on my psychy in making me think I needed to stop. On the last 1.25 miles I ran straight through, bypassing the aid station. When I reached the finish line I didn't have any juice left. I was extremely HOT. 4 gulps of my water went in my mouth and the rest down my neck. That's a first.

Additional road work and heat work.
Post race

Last updated: 2005-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:16 | 400 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/23
Overall: 0/200+
Performance: Average
Suit: n/a
Course: Inverted triangle. Very well marked with 4 large water bouys. Lake was fresh water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:00 | 11 miles | 19.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 10/200+
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: A 40km out and back / loop along tradeport drive. Bike course is flat and fast with most on two lane road in each direction. Course is made for road bikes but mountain and hybrid bikes are allowed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:22 | 03.1 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 0/200+
Performance: Bad
Course: 5km on streets going around Lake Conway in Belle Isle with lots of trees and shade. 3 aid stations and only one confusing point in the course no the turn-around.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes