General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hybrid to Raod or Tri Bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-06-07 7:16 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Subject: Hybrid to Raod or Tri Bike?

First, my apologies if this has been asked.  I have precious little computer time before it begins to make sounds like it is going to eat through the wall and catch on fire or explode.

I stopped by a LBS today and inquired about some of their Tri bikes and pricing, but the salesperson pretty quickly directed me towards the road bikes saying that it would serve me better that a tri bike.  I don't entirely disagree with this statement but I won't be doing group rodes or trips or anything like that.  If I do start doing those, I would buy the road bike later on.  I have it in my head that I want a tri bike for now and will add a road bike to the stable if I decide to do other rides later.  Just because it is in my head doesn't mean I can't change my mind. 

His statements did seem a bit logical especially since I have limited road bike experience and I keep reading that it takes some getting used to, riding in the aero position.  My argument, right or wrong, is that I would rather have the right tool for the job right out of the gate.  The gate being after at least one triathlon and the decision to do more has been made.  I'm not buying anything until I do at least that first one. 

Am I being a bit premature here by shopping this early on?  I'd like to be an informed consumer but I almost feel like I am looking just a bit too early, if there is such a thing.  My first tri is in July and I am looking to pull the trigger closer to the end of the riding season in hopes of finding a deal on a nice carbon bike that is about to be replaced by a 2012 model.  That Cervelo P2 is nice. 

Okay, I've blah-blah-blah'd long enough.  Rip me a new one for not searching and maybe toss some thoughts at me.  FWIW, I feel like I've read thousands of threads and I just don't remember seeing this answered.

Thanks.

2011-06-07 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3537910

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hybrid to Raod or Tri Bike?

If you want one that bad buy it!! Shopping early to me is a good thing.

My concern would be that you haven't been on a bike that is in a race position or aero position. You might buy it and find it way uncomfortable. If you can take some test ride that would be ideal. That way you can ride a road and tri back to back and you can feel the difference. Even road bikes have a different riding angle putting you into a lower riding position. I personally wanted a road bike because I plan on doing some road racing to not just tri's. It is a tough decision and one that should be thought out. There is not right or wrong just as long as your happy with the bike you are riding. That means comfortable so that you ride it, not hey check out my bike it cost a lot

Good Luck!!

2011-06-07 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Houston

If you are willing to drop the coin for a good tri bike I'd go for it, I'd go ahead and get a good fit while you are at it.

I took my $100 bike to my first TRI and ate a lot of dust, but I wanted to make sure I was really going to like this before I spent money on a bike. 

Before the sun set after our first Tri my wife and I both had new, but low end, road bikes.  I spent about $500 for mine on last years model of an unknown brand.  I've put new tires on it for about another 100, and several tubes (that was why I got the tires actually).

I still eat a lot of dust...but now it is more dust from each racer who passes me as it takes them a lot longer to get around me than it did that first day.

My first tri the bike leg was 12 miles.  I averaged about 11 miles an hour.  My second tri was 15 miles I averaged about 15 miles an hour, and there was a severe head wind through half of that, tail wind on the way back, but I was exausted by then... but I did 15 miles in the less time than it took me to do 12 a month before.  Last weekend was an 11 mile ride, and I did it at close to 18mph.

18mph was still BOP.  But I would be BOP even if I had the fastest bike ever made and perfectly fit to me.  I got a bike that I felt I could get my money out of, and upgrade later.

I will get a tri bike someday.  But I'm going to get a better engine first and slowly improve my, and my wifes road bike along the way.  Maybe I'm cheap, but I enjoy the ride (pun intended).

2011-06-08 4:03 AM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Go get a tri bike. I got mine after one sprint and one duathlon. You are going to be dropping the money on a new bike anyway, get what you want. I barely ride my road bike anymore, and even commute on my tri bike some days, I love it. What I wouldn't do, is go out and get a P2. Go get fitted and buy a bike in your budget that fits you. I wanted a Cervelo, but found out it would not fit as well as other brands.
2011-06-08 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3538270

User image

Champion

I agree with what others have mentioned in that the fit of the bike is more important than the type of bike.  Whether it is a tri or a road bike, make sure they do a proper bike fitting for you.

I don't know what kind of commuter bike you currently ride but, if this is your first bike with 1-1.5" tires, you may want to side with going for a road bike.  A road bike puts you in a position where your center of gravity farther to the rear of the bike which adds to the stability and makes it feel like you have better control.  A tri bike is going to move your CG forward and, when you are laying in the aerobars, you may feel somewhat uncontrolled.  Until you are comfortable riding in the aero position, the bike is likely to feel 'twitchy' to you because of the additional weight distributed to the front wheel.

If you purchase a road bike to start, you can opt to add clip-on aerobars later.  While it won't give you the same aerodynamic profile as a tri bike, it will give you an opportunity to become comfortable in the saddle and then progress into an aero position.  If you buy a tri bike right out of the gate, it may feel too aggressive and uncomfortable especially on longer rides.

Do you have a few specific bikes you are considering?  It may help us give better answers to compare the specific components (SRAM, Ultegra, 105, etc) and construction (Al, Carbon, Ti, etc) that you are trying to decide between.

Edited by CubeFarmGopher 2011-06-08 8:42 AM
2011-06-08 10:00 AM

User image

Charlotte, NC

I will absolutely be getting fit to whatever I wind up getting.  No question about it.

As far as what bikes I had in mind, well, they range quite a bit.  I started out telling the wife I would be good to go on a Cannondale Synapse 7 from REI but as I read I started seeing the importance of a good fit and remember my last bike purchase there only included a rough guesstimate by the salesperson.  So that's pretty much out. 

Next in line is the Cervelo P1.  Price is right and available locally, or so I thought.  The LBSes that I have been to only have them in smaller sizes, like way too small. The salesperson at this store showed me the P2.  The combination of the aesthetics and being carbon got the blood flowing and brain going, which is not always a good thing. 

I looked at a couple of Treks yesterday and as nice as they are, they just don't do anything for me.  Well, except for the $3000 one, but thats a little more than I want to spend.  Not much more, but I wanted to be out the door for $2750 at the most. 

There was a last-year's-model Quintana Roo that I liked, mainly because it was neon green.  But it was sold and that's probably a good thing since I need to put appearance further down the list of priorities. 

Other bikes I've looked at include a Felt B16, Qunitana Roo Seduza and a few of the Trek road bikes. Component groups on all bikes I've looked at, aside from the Cannondale, have been 105 or better.  Honestly, I couldn't tell you the difference between Tiagra and Red at this point other than I know Tiagra is garbage compared to Red or DuraAce.

In the meantime, I am going to continue on with the Cannondale Quick 3 I'm on and see how the side job treats me between now and purchase time.  It could make the budget anywhere from $1000 to $4000 with no real way to tell just yet. 

Thanks for the insight so far.  Any help is good help at this point. 

2011-06-08 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3537971

User image

Charlotte, NC

garrunning - 2011-06-07 9:23 PM.....not hey check out my bike it cost a lot

If I don't do all that well, at least I can look good while I'm sucking wind and getting beat by little old ladies on beach cruisers.  lol

2011-06-08 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3538798

User image

Master
Houston
baxt3r - 2011-06-08 10:00 AM

... I liked, mainly because it was neon green. 

Sorry??? Not red?  Always buy the red one!

2011-06-08 12:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-06-08 12:01 PM

New user

If you think you are primarily going to do tris, get the tri bike.  I have only a tri bike, and I'm able to do long rides on it.  It is fitted for me and would say i'm very comfortable.   I might be more comfortable on a road bike, but I don't know what I don't know.

As said before, make sure the bike fits you.  I can tell you what I like or would get, but I would make sure you get what fits you.  Certain brands have slightly differnt geometries, fit, or feel.  If you have the option, I would look at a few and then do some research before you buy one.  An LBS will give you a good deal on a year or two old bike.  But remember, they want to make the sale and get the bike out of their inventory (Bold general statement) and it might not be the best fitting bike for you.  If they are talking about swaping out many parts to make the fit, hold back to see if another bike frame might be better for you with only minor adjustments vs.  swapping many parts.  Also, you want some room to adjust to a more agressive riding style as you become more comfortable riding the tri bike, in that position, and "grow" into that position.  Invest in a good fitting bike, you'll appreciate the investment more.

2011-06-08 1:06 PM

Champion
MA

You got the typical answer bike shop guys give...they are roadies and don't really like tri bikes.

Do you live in an area that has a tri shop? If so go there and they can help you.

Like others have said key is to get a bike that fits you. Some shops try and sell you what they have which may not really fit you. Best way to buy a bike is get fit and from there know what bike brands, model and sizes fit you best out of the box.

2011-06-08 5:27 PM

Champion
baxt3r - 2011-06-08 11:00 AM

I will absolutely be getting fit to whatever I wind up getting.  No question about it.

As far as what bikes I had in mind, well, they range quite a bit.  I started out telling the wife I would be good to go on a Cannondale Synapse 7 from REI but as I read I started seeing the importance of a good fit and remember my last bike purchase there only included a rough guesstimate by the salesperson.  So that's pretty much out. 

Next in line is the Cervelo P1.  Price is right and available locally, or so I thought.  The LBSes that I have been to only have them in smaller sizes, like way too small. The salesperson at this store showed me the P2.  The combination of the aesthetics and being carbon got the blood flowing and brain going, which is not always a good thing. 

I looked at a couple of Treks yesterday and as nice as they are, they just don't do anything for me.  Well, except for the $3000 one, but thats a little more than I want to spend.  Not much more, but I wanted to be out the door for $2750 at the most. 

There was a last-year's-model Quintana Roo that I liked, mainly because it was neon green.  But it was sold and that's probably a good thing since I need to put appearance further down the list of priorities. 

Other bikes I've looked at include a Felt B16, Qunitana Roo Seduza and a few of the Trek road bikes. Component groups on all bikes I've looked at, aside from the Cannondale, have been 105 or better.  Honestly, I couldn't tell you the difference between Tiagra and Red at this point other than I know Tiagra is garbage compared to Red or DuraAce.

In the meantime, I am going to continue on with the Cannondale Quick 3 I'm on and see how the side job treats me between now and purchase time.  It could make the budget anywhere from $1000 to $4000 with no real way to tell just yet. 

Thanks for the insight so far.  Any help is good help at this point. 

I've had a P2C and let me tell you, riding that thing was "like Butta!"  The feel compared the P1 (which when I tried it was called the P2SL) was incredible.  Just soooo smooth.

QR makes a really good bike and my wife has 2 of them.  She has an older Tequilo (thin walled aluminum) and the new black CD.01.  She says that the CD.01 is much stiffer than the Tequilo but that may simply be a carbon vs aluminum comparison.

You may want to check out Competitive Cyclist's Fit Calculator.  It gives you frame configuration details so you can compare frame dimensions to the optimal dimensions for your particular body structure.  There is both a road and a tri bike fit calculator so you can get an understanding of what brand of bike is made to best fit your body.

2011-06-08 7:15 PM

Charlotte, NC
Kathy, you may be onto something. There are a couple of stores in the area that sell tri gear but only one that I know of that really caters to the sport. If anyone knows of a shop in or around Charlotte, please share. I already know about, and have visited, IOS and the Trek store. Cool Breeze is one I plan to hit the next time I take the jet ski for work in Mooresville.
2011-06-08 10:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Mayberry
if you can afford it I say go for it.  I skipped the hybrid after much goading from friends and LBS, but wasn't ready to make the jump to a roadie and ended up with a specialized tricross (cyclocross).  it's a great starter and meets all my original needs, but after 2 races I'm already looking past roadies to tri bikes.  can't afford both at this point.  if I could there would be one here already.
2011-06-11 6:13 PM

Denver
I went straight to tri bike and haven't loomed back. I've always had the "right tool for the job" attitude with everything I do and it always pays off in the long run. If you are anything like me, which reading your post it sounded a lot like me, if you get a road bike you'll want want a tri bike anyway.
2011-06-12 1:18 PM

Charlotte, NC

After looking a bit more over the past couple of days, I think I am going to go with a tri bike, but only after a couple of races.  The extra padding I'm carrying in the midsection needs to go before I get into an aero position.  I figure in that time I can lose the weight I need to and save up the money needed to get whatever I wind up with.

Thank you everyone for the input. 

2011-06-12 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3544746

Veteran
baxt3r - 2011-06-12 12:18 PM

After looking a bit more over the past couple of days, I think I am going to go with a tri bike, but only after a couple of races.  The extra padding I'm carrying in the midsection needs to go before I get into an aero position.  I figure in that time I can lose the weight I need to and save up the money needed to get whatever I wind up with.

Thank you everyone for the input. 

Can't wait to see what you get!!

2011-06-13 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3544746

Regular
, New York

I know I'm a little late to this party, but to throw in my two cents...

I asked my online coach about what to do regarding a bike for my first triathlon (NYC this year).  I was tempted to go for the tri bike, but my coach suggested that I stick with what I am familiar with for now (my Gary Fisher hybrid), at least for my first race.  I'm a little nervous about looking silly on a hybrid in a triathlon, but I don't care.  I'm all about simply completing my first triathlon and let whatever happens after that happen.  I'll probably rent wheels for it, but that's it.  Best of luck!!!

2011-06-13 10:50 PM

Charlotte, NC
Why would you look silly on a hybrid? I will put this the same way I do to a buddy of mine who is doing some home improvement work: Tell 'em if they don't like it, fix it, replace it, or stfu. Same goes for the bike. If someone gives you grief about your ride, ask them to buy you a shiny new P4 or shut up. Just do it with a smile on your face so they're really confused. lol
2011-06-14 1:34 AM
in reply to: #3547628

Extreme Veteran
I was told that during the Local IM here, they have a competition to see who can complete the race with the crappiest bike.  Winner gets a shiny new Cervelo.

I've heard of some REALLY silly bikes being used in hopes of getting that bike :p
2011-06-14 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3547628

Regular
, New York
Loved your reply. You're absolutely right. Now I'm HOPING somebody says something about my bike. ;-)

2011-06-15 4:11 PM

New user
To the orignial OP, the bike store is really setting you up for two bikes.  Sure buy a road bike now...get into Tris..then come back for a Tri bike.  If you have the funds, get a Tri bike. I did a 100 miler bike ride last weekend at Nashville, 1500 bikers and maybe 20 Tri bikes.  The Tri bikes were fine, even with the Cat 5 hills, even in the group rides, even surrounded by all other road biker purist. You can hit allot of the major hills on a Tri bike by just seating back on the seat more for that strech.  I rode on the hoods during the ride allot to stay with a friend on road bike.  However, I had to drop him and flew to the finish on the aeros.  Sure the shift is a little slower but this helps you think ahead.   Local bike stores want to sell bikes....plain and simple.  
2011-06-16 1:08 PM

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

I have a hybrid, roadie, and tri bike.  I did my first tri season on the hybrid. Next year I did a HIM and some have rules it has to be a roadie or a tri bike.  not sure if they enforce them or not.

If you want to see if you like the sport and not sure how much riding you will ever do after.  Get a hybrid.  If you want to do a lot of group rides then get a roadie.  If all you want to do is a triathlon and you have no friends ( ok more about the group ride part) then get the tri bike.

Most Spirits and even in Olys you will see pretty much ever type of bike except the old timey ones with the big wheels. 

As long as the bike fits you. You will not look silly out there.  Some like to use crap bikes out of showman ship.  If you just want to go out there for fun then why not.

2011-06-17 10:57 AM

Delaware, OH
Buying a bike is like buying a pair of running shoes- you don't pick color or brand, you go with the best fitting pair for your body. Get yourself fit at a tri shop. This way you will knock out 3/4th of the bikes on the market. (Come up and visit me in OH if there isn't a place by you). You may not be flexible enough to ride in aero- thus purchasing a 3k tt bike is a bit silly. Buy what fits. If you have 3k to throw around, get yourself a rd bike for under 1,000. Ride it for a year, become more flexible and then pull the trigger on a tt bike. BTW roadies think that us triathletes have brain damage and ride funny bikes with antenna- there is always a lot of eyerolling when I tell a roadies I do tris. I would however encourage you to buy a road bike and find a group ride. It will ultimately make you a better bike handler and make you faster. FYI- Its very considered rude to ride in a group with a TT bike. I'll ride with my bf with my tri bike...but never with someone else (unless it was a pack of triathletes). Good luck and have fun out there!
2011-06-19 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3538802

Veteran
baxt3r - 2011-06-08 9:02 AM

garrunning - 2011-06-07 9:23 PM.....not hey check out my bike it cost a lot

If I don't do all that well, at least I can look good while I'm sucking wind and getting beat by little old ladies on beach cruisers.  lol

It seems that I may have caught the SEXY TRI bike fever also. I was thinking on upgrading my Scott S30 to a Carbon road bike. Now I am thinking on keeping it and going with a Cervelo P2. See what you started

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hybrid to Raod or Tri Bike? Rss Feed  

of 2