General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coloradoan coming to The Woodlands - Need running route Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-10 1:24 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: Coloradoan coming to The Woodlands - Need running route

I will be in the Houston area in a couple of weeks, the first few days in Sugarland/Sugarland for business where I'll have to do a 4 mile progression run with warm up and cool down from my hotel but think I'll just randomly run streets near there unless anyone thinks it's a safety issue (hotel is the Comfort Suites in Stafford).  On Saturday and Sunday I have to get in a couple short (under 5 miles) runs.  Thankfully my coach switched my planned 10 mile run to another weekend for me since I don't do heat and humidity.  Fortunately I'm naturally an early riser so I'll be up and moving early to avoid the heat of the day.

Anyhow, I'll be staying with my mom in The Woodlands just north of  Grogan's Mill and Research Forest and looking to find out if there are any especially good or bad trails or multi-use paths? 

2011-06-10 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3542933

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Coloradoan coming to The Woodlands - Need running route
COSkiGirl - 2011-06-10 1:24 PM

I will be in the Houston area in a couple of weeks, the first few days in Sugarland/Sugarland for business where I'll have to do a 4 mile progression run with warm up and cool down from my hotel but think I'll just randomly run streets near there unless anyone thinks it's a safety issue (hotel is the Comfort Suites in Stafford).  On Saturday and Sunday I have to get in a couple short (under 5 miles) runs.  Thankfully my coach switched my planned 10 mile run to another weekend for me since I don't do heat and humidity.  Fortunately I'm naturally an early riser so I'll be up and moving early to avoid the heat of the day.

Anyhow, I'll be staying with my mom in The Woodlands just north of  Grogan's Mill and Research Forest and looking to find out if there are any especially good or bad trails or multi-use paths? 

There is a great (safe) trail here we call the Millbend loop. It's exactly a 5K and you don't cross any major intersections. I always park at Tamarac Park. Take North Millbend east (it will turn into South Millbend) until you hit Grogans Mill. Turn Right on Grogans, take the next right on North Millbend and run back to the park. I like this loop because the material is softer then the concrete all the other trails are made of and there are plenty of water fountains along the way.

You could also park at Northshore park and run Lake Woodalands / Panther Creek / Woodlands Parkway / Grogans Mill.

Another option is you can do laps up and down the waterway. It's beautiful but un-shaded and a bit hot.

Here is a map of all of the pathways in the woodlands. Quite honestly the area is super safe and you should be ok most anywhere.

Edited by erin116 2011-06-10 2:16 PM
2011-06-10 4:14 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Oh just be clear, I have no concerns about the Woodlands and safety, only, maybe the Sugarland/Stafford area because I've never been down there.  Thanks for the tips on the trails!
2011-06-10 4:27 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Has anyone done this race before?  http://www.runningintheusa.com/rtw/

Edited by COSkiGirl 2011-06-10 4:31 PM
2011-06-10 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
COSkiGirl - 2011-06-10 1:24 PM

Sounds like you're staying in grogans forest. I would suggest running south on the grogan's trail to either lake woodlands and heading across the lake or going a little further like Erin said and jumping on the waterway. Both are parts of the imtx course and pretty enjoyable....minus the stifling heat and humidity. Both are part of my regular running diet.
2011-06-10 10:04 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Thanks for the tips!  I think I might do that race, for $1 I can't really beat it.  And, it'll be interesting to see if I can overcome the heat/humidity and benefit from the oxygen for a PR and Bolder Boulder qualifier. But, if you see some girl out there look like death in the heat/humidity please say hi!  I'm super slow or I'd suggest a meet up. Oh, and I meant Sugarland/Stafford.  Writing too fast!

2011-06-11 6:48 PM

User image

The Woodlands, TX
The IMTX run loop is my favorite run course in The Woodlands. I usually start at the Waterway or North Shore park. I love running along the lake and the waterway. Millbend is nice, but man, it gets so hot and humid in the thick of the trees in the summer.
2011-06-13 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3543463

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
COSkiGirl - 2011-06-10 10:04 PM

Thanks for the tips!  I think I might do that race, for $1 I can't really beat it.  And, it'll be interesting to see if I can overcome the heat/humidity and benefit from the oxygen for a PR and Bolder Boulder qualifier. But, if you see some girl out there look like death in the heat/humidity please say hi!  I'm super slow or I'd suggest a meet up. Oh, and I meant Sugarland/Stafford.  Writing too fast!

That race is really fun - totally low key and only $1. Can't beat it!
2011-06-13 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3543463

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Apparently I thought the $1 race was so great I decided to post twice about it

Edited by erin116 2011-06-13 10:41 AM
2011-06-14 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3546118

User image

Lafayette, CO

erin116 - 2011-06-13 9:39 AM
COSkiGirl - 2011-06-10 10:04 PM Thanks for the tips!  I think I might do that race, for $1 I can't really beat it.  And, it'll be interesting to see if I can overcome the heat/humidity and benefit from the oxygen for a PR and Bolder Boulder qualifier. But, if you see some girl out there look like death in the heat/humidity please say hi!  I'm super slow or I'd suggest a meet up. Oh, and I meant Sugarland/Stafford.  Writing too fast!

That race is really fun - totally low key and only $1. Can't beat it!

Excellent!  I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it.  My mom never gets to see me race so it would be a fantastic way for her to do that.  Should be interesting to see how the battle of more oxygen vs. more heat/humidity play out, especially since I'm asthmatic who doesn't deal well with humidity.  Hehe.  Thanks again everyone for your tips!

2011-06-14 9:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-06-25 10:36 AM

Lafayette, CO
Thanks again everyone for the tips.  I did the race this morning but the humidity got me so my pace wasn't what I'd hoped.  It was a good course though and would be even better for those of you who can do it regularly.  For me it felt like it took forever to get to the turn in the main part because it never felt like I was coming back around.  Tomorrow I'm going to do just an easy 3 which I'm looking forward to after 2 hard effort runs in this heat (I ran a 4 mile progression on Thursday in Sugar Land.)  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coloradoan coming to The Woodlands - Need running route Rss Feed