U.S.A.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 52s
Overall Rank = 7/453
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/47
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and ate bagel, apple sauce, boost drink, and protein shake. Drove to teh race site, missed the turn and doubled back. Got there a bit before 5. Noone was there, I even beat the park rangers into the park. Parked right next to transition area. I got the best transition spot right by the bike exit and entrance. Set up my stuff and walked around and went back to my car to stay warm. It was cold!
Event warmup:

Ran for about 10 minutes with Stacie! Missed the swim warmup because the mens groups started early, oops!
Swim
  • 08m 18s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out strong but not too strong to over exert. Then picked it up until the end. Great swim for me. I did not draft because it was a time trial start and we were very spread out. First time no one passed me on the swim. Very quick swim that was nice.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

So I get out of the water and have troble pulling my zipper down the back and pull the sleeves down. I finally get it off right as I get to the wetsuit strippers. So hear I come, I stop, and since it is wet I fly right to my back, not intended, the ladies said, " I guess he's ready" I laugh and get back up and say thanks and head to T1. Get there and put on the helmet and sunglasses and out I go. I really struggled getting my feet in my shoes this time.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 33m 8s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Got into a comfortable pace right away. It was down hill so I just cruised for a while to let the HR settle. Passed a few snails. Got to Quincy and turned it up a notch and started to push the pace. Up and down the rollers went well. No one passed me on the bike either. I didn't feel like I was over pushing it so I picked it up again to try and catch my friend Paul who was just a bit in front on me. I couldn't catch him. But I kept him in my sights.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Got to t2 and jumped off, ran shoeless for about 25 yards, racked the bike, put on tennis shoes and helmet off and I am running. Yes I got the fastest T2. That is always one of my goals.

nothing
Run
  • 20m 12s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out at a slower pace than usual. I have had cramping problems in the past so I back off a bit and tried to concentrate on breathing and form. Picked it up after breathing and HR settled. Again I looked for Paul I found him about 45 seconds ahead right after the turn around. I knew that I would not catch him, he is a better runner than I. I kept him within sight and finished just a minute behind him. I picked up the pace after the turn around and negative splitted. 10:13 there 9:55 back. That was another goal of mine.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Afterwards was great. Got together with the BT crew and talked about the race and ate and drank. Drinking beer and hanging out in the sun with the BT crew. It was great hearing about everyones race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

This was a great race. They had great food, good music, nice awards at the end. It was cool hanging out with the BT crew from Colorado. Ryan(himself),matt (Blackbud), Jen (Mrs Blackbud), Adam (TRigreenie)Mrs Trigreenie, sorry can't remember her name, Ovetta Stacie (Luv2ride), Russell (is that right)? (Mr. Luv2ride). Congrats to all on great performances.
It was cool to win my age group and thanks to all who hung out to support me. That meant alot. I got a Gold Cowbell. A bit cheesy, but original.

Last updated: 2005-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:18 | 500 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/47
Overall: 28/453
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Full Suit
Course: Triangle loop
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:08 | 12 miles | 21.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/47
Overall: 5/453
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back loop on some serious rollers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:12 | 03.17 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/47
Overall: 8/453
Course: Out and back with a few hills and many turns. I was told the course was actually 3.17 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-29 1:46 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: Rattlesnake

2005-08-29 1:54 PM
in reply to: #236638

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake

Mark,

As our resident tri vet here in Colorado you set a good example by challenging yourself and setting new goals each tri. So proud of you for kicking butt and winning your age group. It felt so good to say your name up there on the annoucing stand. Woo hoo. Way to go and kick butt at Fall Frenzy.

2005-08-29 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Awesome race out there, and thanks for the beers afterwards too! There's always something to be learned in race course management from reading your RRs, whether it's on controlling your HR, transitions, etc. Anyway, good job again - you smoked that course!
2005-08-29 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Hmmm. I must have picked up a new husband at the race yesterday. Stewart sounds like a nice guy, but my real husband's name is Russell. Ha ha!!! That's funny!

Great race, Mark. Congrats on your win! Thanks for all of your help and encouragement yesterday and this entire summer.  It was humbling, as usual, to see you blow by me on the run like I was moving in slow motion. But I'm getting used to it, I guess!

2005-08-29 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Great race Mark! It is fantastic that you have nothing you would do differently throughout the entire race! You are going to be amazing at Worlds!

I would like to race the last Surf & Turf, but that will all depend on what kind of magic the chiropractor and massage therapist can work between now and then. Either way, I'm planning to be there to at least cheer everyone on!
2005-08-30 5:27 PM

User image

Expert

Excellent race report, Mark.  If I had known that everyone was going to hang out w/ a podium finisher afterwards, I would have stayed and got your autograph

Very impressive!!

2005-08-30 11:03 PM

User image

Great job in the race and congratulations on coming in first in your AG - that's awesome!!!  It sounds like you just kicked some bootie all of the way around!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Rss Feed