United States
103F / 39C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 322/650
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/62
Pre-race routine:

Got there around 3:45 and waiting for it to start at 5:00. Had pasta for lunch and had gatorade and water before the race. I didn't realize how much water I would need. It was extremly hot--too hot.
Event warmup:

stretched
Run
  • 31m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't know if I will do this event again. I wasn't thinking about the time. The race being at 5:00p.m was too hot. I much rather wake up early to run a race when it is cooler. It was misarable running in such hot conditions.
What would you do differently?:

I would have drank more water and prepared myself more mentally for how hot it was going to be. It was such a hard run.
Post race
Warm down:

walked back to the car. We could have stayed for the festival but we were hot and sweaty and wanted to take a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and sun.

Event comments:

I don't feel that there was enought water stations for how hot of a day it was. All the water stations where packed with people. The event also started about 20 minutes late which didn't help. Everyone had to stand in the heat before starting their run and without water. Lots of vlunteers though. Good activies for the post activites but we didn't stay--live bands and refreshments and things for the kids to do. If it was about an hour and a half later it would have been a more fun race. It is Keep Austin Wierd so there were tons of people dressed up and showing the true spirit of the city. That added to the fun.

Last updated: 2005-06-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:33 | 03.1 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/62
Overall: 322/650
Performance: Below average
Course: On the pavement-downtown Austin. Little hill on the first mile. Not too bad but not fun in that heat. On the way back much better b/c it was downhill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes