General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with wildlife Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-06-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3550705

User image

Subject: RE: Running with wildlife
If you're really worried about bear, and you have a ccw I'd carry a small hand gun...just firing it if necessary should be enough to scare one off if need be.  We have deer, coyote, eagle, hawks, and fox right around here, and the potential for black bears and mountain lions, though none have been sighted recently, not to mention your small animals...possum, racoons, beaver, woodchuck, ground hog, bunnies, squirrels, etc...up north we have elk and black bear, but I'm not up there much.  We live right by a nature reserve too, and I've heard something large in the brush a few times now, and I was only a few feet from a deer lying down in the brush, I just kept doing my thing and ignored it though, and it did the same...the large thing I could hear running off int he opposite direction.  Here in MI I guess we have a pretty bad wild hog problem too, but luckily they aren't that bad in my area...for the most part if you do your thing and don't act threatening, but try to make a lot of noise, most animals should just run off...I would make sure not to carry any real food with you though...though I doubt you would...but food is a HUGE motivator for bears.

2011-06-15 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Wow...I had no idea this thread would generate that much traffic! I suppose it does sound a little goofy...

Coskigirl, I'm on the Kenai Peninsula, right next to the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. We have big brown bears - not Kodiak, though -- and black bears; we see them fairly often even when the salmon aren't running. When the salmon are running it is bear central, but fortunately nice juicy salmon is generally preferable to stringy, chewy runner unless you surprise the bear. They're really not that interested in people anyway -- still there are always several runners and cyclists who get mauled or killed by bears each year - usually when running or riding solo or in a pair.

I've thought about a bear bell and may yet do that. I do have a Springfield .40 subcompact that would work for size and could be effective if I used a pretty heavy load. I think the .45 would be way big even for me. I often strap bear spray on my bike, but I don't have the same luxury on a run.

2011-06-15 4:20 PM

Veteran

I've carried bear spray while running in my fuel belt (the kind that just hold a water bottle on your back).  Fortunately I never needed to use it - I never came in close encounters with bears.  But moose are another story - they're scary and I've been charged twice.  I think that anything that makes noise so that they know you're coming would be helpful.

2011-06-15 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well my wildlife is dumbbutts txting in their suv's. All my pilot buddies that flew in AK always say to make sure you remove the front sight off you gun so that when the bear shoves it up your a#* it won't hurt so bad.
2011-06-16 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3551087

User image

Master
Beijing
jillian_o - 2011-06-14 4:09 PM
tuwood - 2011-06-15 3:34 PM
jillian_o - 2011-06-15 1:53 PM

Here in the Deep South I have to worry about pit bulls that have been raised to fight in illegal dog fighting. Even with all the cash their owner are earning in these illegal operations, they somehow still can't afford fences. So when the dogs aren't being ran to death on treadmills, they are out in their yards without a fence, without a leash, bored and ready to chase and attack anything that comes by.

I avoid all neighborhoods/area where I know they are there, but even on my usual routes, I carry a Taurus ACP .380 with hallow points in my SPI Belt along with my weapons permit. On my Sunday long run, my husband rides alongside me on his hybrid bike with his S&W M&P .40 with hallow points in his shoulder harness with 2 extra mags along with his weapons permit. My husband is in the Army and I pray that we get orders the hell out of here so I can feel safe again.

That's awesome.  Cool

Thanks, I'm thinking about upgrading to a sub-compact 9mm, but love how small the ACP is and its so light, it weighs about the same as my Droid X phone, only a 6-round clip though, which can be a disadvantage.

Dunno. bears prefer model 1911 so they've only got 8 shots.  You'll find the occasional bear with a pre-ban Glock with a 30 round clip.... but it's so rare it's barely worth mentioning. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with wildlife Rss Feed  

of 2