General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Intro - New Guy from NY Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-16 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: Intro - New Guy from NY

Pardon if this rambles on.  I’ll be a lurker going forward unless I actually get into this triathlon thing.

• First tri.  I’m attempting my first tri on July 24 in Kingston, NY (0.3m/18m/3.5m).  My goal is to finish before they close the course, nothing more.  I started building for the distances in April from a simple program I found elsewhere on the web.  Didn’t get to swimming until three weeks ago when I opened my pool.  Like many of the newbies who posted here, my swim is very weak and the biggest concern.
  • Bio – I’m Bill, a 36 year old desk jockey with a full house (wife, 3 kiddies, dog) in the burbs who spends way too much time commuting into NY city.  Many moons ago, I ran for fun, not speed (~40 miles/week at the peak).  I did a marathon on a whim back in 99 and finished (stumbling across the line in terrible pain at 4+ hours).  Like everyone else, I’m short on time, so I have to fit this stuff in where I can.
  • Motivation – last winter 2 things happened, I think they are related 1) I reached my maximum weight.  180lbs doesn’t sound like too much but I’m a pretty small-framed guy by nature and was out-of-shape, huffing and puffing everywhere I went. 2) I herniated a disk causing debilitating pain in my arse and one leg.  It made me a total grump, couldn’t sit, stand, or do much of anything else for a time.  Another motivation for getting out there is my dog.  He;s getting too fat for his own good and we want to keep him around for some more years without hip pain.  So why not a triathlon?  The reason I stopped running when I was younger was that it bored the heck out of me, out and back, the same scenery, etc.   Also, I want to slim down my dog (2-3 jogs/week) not kill him with long runs.  I avoid gyms like cold viruses.  I want to be able to jump out of bed and do what I need to do if I have a few minutes to spare, not drive to a gym and spend a bunch of dough.  I’ve tried gyms before and found that for me, the effective cost per visit was staggering and embarrassing.  Another reason tri’s seemed right for me is I THOUGHT I had everything I needed to do it.  I was given a road bike 15 years ago that I never rode and I spend a chunk of my summer maintaining a pool that I never used, except to splash around with the kids on the occasional Sunday afternoon.  Turns out, I talked myself into $1,000 in other expenses  to get this done, so I hope I end up doing this more than once to avoid the sideways glance I’ve got coming to me from my very patient wife.  If I don’t get the bug I’ll need to find another activity since the good news is that between loosely following weight watchers and training for this tri, I dropped 20lbs and I feel better than I have in years and i dont want to backslide.
  • Swimming -  I don’t really enjoy swimming right now but am loving the bike and hope to keep up a couple of rides/week even if I never do another race.  I’m hoping I’ll like swimming more if I get better and it feels like more of a natural activity.  Right now it is a weird balance between trying to move forward and trying not to sink.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences and knowledge on this website.  it's already been very helpful.

2011-06-16 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3552176

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
Subject: RE: Intro - New Guy from NY

Welcome to BT!

Lots of the people here are in a similar place or started there. Family, Job, overweight, etc. I started training in January at over 200 lbs. I'm down to 185 and slowly dropping.

You'll find some great info here. Good luck with your training.

2011-06-17 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Welcome to the site!  I think swimming is the toughest for a newbie just because it takes so much more technique but rest assured that with time it'll get better.  I think I've done the race that you're signed up for and if so, you could actually walk out quite far into the river whcih really shorted up the swim course if you wanted.  The hill to start the bike and run legs though...  Have fun! 
2011-06-20 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Thanks for the welcome and the tips.Drewb8- you mentioned you think the course starts with a hill. Do you know if the rest of the course (2x9 mile loops) tends to be flat? Im a little worried about my speed biking. I have 3 20 mile routes for long sunday rides (long for me) 1 is pretty flat and I average about 16 mph. 2 is full of short hills that don't require too much shifting. My new route (3) is all long hills and I only average 13 mph but im a turtle on the long uphills. So when race rules say you have to maintain 12 mph across an entire course; do they give you some leeway on the hills?thanks
2011-06-20 10:10 AM

Extreme Veteran

First off, welcome to the site. You'll find that there is a ton of info out there, and everybody is more than willing to give you advice, and is incredibly friendly.

1) first tri : since this is your first race, ENJOY IT. I just completed my first race 2 weeks ago, and cant wait for my next race this weekend. I was truly amazed with just how friendly and sociable everybody was at my first race.

2) I'll see you there, as i'm racing that race as well

3) swimming: swim lots, but swim easy. You may want to look into getting a few swim lessons, especially if the bug bites you. The swim was my biggest weakness initially, i did 5 lessons that were 1 hour each, and I can totally cruise on the swim now. Not fast, not slow, but a very solid middle of the pack.  I think of swimming much like golf. Most sports are 75% strength, 25% form, swimming is exactly the opposite, 25% strength and 75% form.

Edited by Cavemann 2011-06-20 10:12 AM
2011-06-20 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3557468

User image

Master
Denver

bdenehy - 2011-06-20 7:34 AM Thanks for the welcome and the tips.Drewb8- you mentioned you think the course starts with a hill. Do you know if the rest of the course (2x9 mile loops) tends to be flat? Im a little worried about my speed biking. I have 3 20 mile routes for long sunday rides (long for me) 1 is pretty flat and I average about 16 mph. 2 is full of short hills that don't require too much shifting. My new route (3) is all long hills and I only average 13 mph but im a turtle on the long uphills. So when race rules say you have to maintain 12 mph across an entire course; do they give you some leeway on the hills?thanks

I remember it as having a short, steep climb out of transition, and then being mostly rolling or flat.  No long, grind it out climbs or anything, just some small rollers, mostly on the southern end.  Kind of fun actually.  When the race rules say you have to maintain 12mph what that means is that there will be a bike cutoff time - after a certain amount of time (which would equal a 12mph average pace for the 18 miles) they won't allow people coming off the bike to start on the run.  I have no idea how strictly this is enforced though, most of the sprint length races I've done haven't enforced this very vigorously.

You will see people on motorcycles making sure people adhere to the rules such as no blocking or drafting, but they won't be checking on anyones speed.  Otherwise anyone who got a flat would be out of the race!

Overall, the main thing is just to soak up the experience and have fun.  Your first race especially is mainly a learning experience - figuring out the flow of things, how transitions really work, how your body feels under race conditions, etc.  The most important thing is to make sure to enjoy the accomplishment and have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Intro - New Guy from NY Rss Feed