General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on new running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-17 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: Advice on new running shoes

This may get a little long winded...

I have been running in the Saucony Triumphs for probably 3 years now.  The are a neutral cushioned shoe but very heavy.  I originally switched to them because I liked the extra cushion they had vs any other shoe I had run in (Saucony Ride, Asics Gel Nimbus)  I feel like they are just too heavy of a shoe for me now.   I have no injuries from using them...they just feel heavy every time I run in them.  I had asked my local running shoe store about trying a lighter shoe over the winter, but at that time I had alot of weight I needed to lose and really needed the extra cushioning I guess.    I have lost about 22 lbs in the past 2.5 months and am getting closer to my ideal weight so I  figured I would revisit the idea of switching to a lighter shoe.  

I figure I have 3 options:  switch to a lighter shoe all the time;  switch to a lighter shoe for racing and shorter training runs and do my long runs in the Triumphs;  Don't change anything and stick with the Triumph.  

I have little time to log so my logs are not up to date.  I am following a HIM plan for my HIM in the end of August.  I am running 3x a week right now- around 20 miles a week and will be building mileage thru august.  I also am planning to run my first marathon in November.  

So looking for suggestions on what to do??  Any recommended lightweight neutral shoes?  

2011-06-17 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3554741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee
Subject: RE: Advice on new running shoes

I have done basically exactly what your are inquiring about. I ran in Saucony Hurricanes for a long time and decided they were too heavy and too much stability. I have been running for about 5 months in the Saucony Mirage. The weight difference is very substantial. So far its working good. I have ran up to 10 miles in the Mirage with no issues. I have ran two half-marathons this Spring and used a heavier shoe for those because I was concerned in jumping to that distance in the Mirages.

I have one pair of the Mirage with speed laces that I have used in a couple of sprint tris and they worked great.

Edited by rbishop01 2011-06-17 3:27 PM
2011-06-17 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
The Kswiss Blade Lights might be worth looking into for you.  Plenty of cushioning and come in pretty light at 9.3 oz.  I recently switched to them and been very happy so far.
2011-06-17 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Lighter shoes - as in how much lighter? What do you hope to accomplish? You could go to something like the Saucony Jazz for your regular training and a Kinvara for racing.

You said you went to the Triumph because of the extra cushioning. Were you having problems with the other shoes you mentioned? Your recent weight loss is a good thing, but it really doesn't provide much information. If you weighed 250 and lost the weight, your choice of shoes might not change much. If you were 140 and lost the weight, it could be a different story.

You're also not doing yourself any favors in running so little while training for an HIM. Especially if running is not your strong event.

2011-06-17 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3554811

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Donskiman - 2011-06-17 3:48 PM

Lighter shoes - as in how much lighter? What do you hope to accomplish? You could go to something like the Saucony Jazz for your regular training and a Kinvara for racing.

You said you went to the Triumph because of the extra cushioning. Were you having problems with the other shoes you mentioned? Your recent weight loss is a good thing, but it really doesn't provide much information. If you weighed 250 and lost the weight, your choice of shoes might not change much. If you were 140 and lost the weight, it could be a different story.

You're also not doing yourself any favors in running so little while training for an HIM. Especially if running is not your strong event.

Don thank you for your input. To answer some of your questions...you asked how much lighter. I don't know how much lighter I want/need to go. I just don't want to feel like I have cinder blocks attached to my feet. I originally switched to the triumphs actually because I was bored with the other shoes and liked the way the extra cushioning felt at the time...but was not running more than 3 miles at a time back then.As far as the weight loss- I was around 162-164 (5'6" female) I still have a little more to lose over the next month or so...so yes my weightloss I believe makes a big difference. I also hear you on my low mileage...I do know I need to step it up some. I am running more than my logs from last year at this time show...and faster. I am most definitely in better shape than last yearand I wont bore you with a list of excuses as to why I haven't run more...I am off on a tangent.. anyway thanks again and any other input you have ia appreciatedI think the Mirage is a light stability shoe. If it is that may still be too much stability for me.I have not looked at the Blade lights but can check them out as we'll.
2011-06-18 12:32 AM

User image

Hi elbi,

If what you're using is working now, and you're not suffering from nagging injuries, keep doing what you're doing.

However, when you do make the change to a lighter weight shoe, make a gradual change.  Maybe run in them half the distance you're running now, and that only once or twice a week.  Go back and forth between the shoe you have now and the lighter ones for a period of several weeks or months.  This will give your body a chance to gradually adapt.

I have the K-Swiss Blade Lights (2 pair) and six pair of Newton's (two Distance, one Gravity, one Motion and two Momentums).  I tried the Blade Lights for a few months, but went back to the Newton's.  I used to run in shoes that have, what I call, mammoth heels, because a year and half ago I was a heel striker.  I then learned about Chirunning, landing on the midfoot, leaning into the run and shorten my stride, that I made the switch to lighter weight, racing flat style shoe.  The Newton Distance and Gravity and Motion feel like slippers on my feet.  I prefer these shoes over the Asics and NB that I've worn in the past.  The Newton's feel like a second skin.  I can really sense the ground better than when I worn those big clunky style shoes in the past.

I don't know if this helps your question.  Let me know.

2011-06-19 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Call me a cheapskate, but I hate paying loads of money for running shoes since I go through several pairs a year. I am also a neutral runner and have run in Mizuno Waveriders, Brooks Defyance, & Ghost, and I forget what style of Asics, but all of them were close to $100 a pair. I recently went to Academy Sports and bought a pair of Saucony Cohesion's for the everyday price of $39 and I cannot tell a difference. Unless I develop problems with them I'll just keep buying them.
2011-06-19 4:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
You might consider the Brooks Launch. Normal 12mm heel-toe drop. Neutral. 8.1oz vs 10.7oz for triumphs.
2011-06-19 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
I just got a new pair of Kswiss shoes...and was in the same situation and I love them...

I started with 3 miles for the first two runs, and jumped to 8 miles today and had no problems...I have to say I was alittle nervous at first...but not anymore!!

I would suggest trying on a few first...I tried the saucony and swiss... but went with the Kswiss

Just my .02 cents..

Good luck
2011-06-19 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY

Went to the LRS yesterday and ended up taking home a pair of Saucony Rides and the Kinvara 2's.  The Ride is lighter than my current Triumphs.  After some long discussions with the folks at the LRS what I think I may do for now is do my longer runs in the Rides and start using the Kinvara 2s on my shorter runs and for my next race in July.  They felt great for the short time I ran outside the running store in them.  I plan to slowly transition to the Kinvaras if they work well for me.  I also tried on a new pair of Triumphs at the same time and could not believe the difference in weight even between those and the Ride.  

Thanks all for the input.  I will let you know how they both work out this week.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on new running shoes Rss Feed