General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First ocean race day swim was awful!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-19 8:59 AM

Subject: First ocean race day swim was awful!!

Well, the good news is I made it back to the beach and finished the swim. The bad news was everything in between the start and finish. Everyone had told me to try an ocean swim before race day, but I didn't. I'm glad I didn't, because if I had only one swim in the ocean before race day, I would have been a nervous wreck race morning. Instead, I was optimistic... until about my third stroke Cool

I was so paralyzed my face never even went in the water, and my swimming looked like a 2 year old thrown in the water. 

I almost have no interest in practicing swimming in the pool because it's so different. Guess I need to make the hour drive to the ocean a bit more. And, find some lake races.

Edited by dsawler 2011-06-19 9:00 AM

2011-06-19 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3556276

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
Subject: RE: First ocean race day swim was awful!!
It gets easier. You just need to get used to being in the open water. My first open water the lifeguard on the surfboard kept asking if I was OK. I thought I was doing good............
2011-06-19 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3556276

New user

Subject: RE: First ocean race day swim was awful!!
Your race sounds like my first race a couple weeks ago.  Mine was in a lake and it felt like all of the training went out the window.  I survived, but it wasn't pretty and the swim impacted the rest of my race as I had to put a lot more effort and time into the swim than anticipated.  I too will be doing much more open water swimming this summer before my next one in September!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First ocean race day swim was awful!! Rss Feed