General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cohasset Tri - June 26 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-21 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Cohasset Tri - June 26

Who else is doing this? If you are, here's a few updates on conditions, etc (I'm a local and RBS the course often). The water has been chilly, but not too bad. Wetsuit needed, but overall clean water, and smooth conditions. Roads -- most of the bike roads have been repaved in the past year so it will be nice riding, HOWEVER, one portion has not  been done, and it may be the worst road in Massachusetts. its about a mile of the course, but Cedar street is a mass of potholes, cracks, and patch fixes. I've lost 2 tires on it in the past 2 months. I emailed the RD and told him he needs to have a bike tech over there, and that they will be busy. Running should be great. All roads on the run course have been repaved since last year, and there are zero issues with the conditions.

Should be a fun day, and hope to meet up with some BT'ers at the race!

Mike

2011-06-21 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3559351

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Cohasset Tri - June 26
Mike, how are you feeling?  Are you doing the race?  I will be volunteering at packet pick up on Sat morning.  I will also be there on race day.  I will be wearing my IMAZ visor if anyone wants to say hi.  See you there.  

Josh 
2011-06-21 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Have driven the roads around Jerusalem road and Atlantic ave. I know there has been some residential road construction going on that area for a while now. Was curious if they would be done in time for that tri. 

Very nice area, but what is it about this tri that makes it sell out so quickly each year? Ecspecially this year since I also know for a fact that the roads around Sandy beach area are totally chopped up.

Regardless of some of the issues I have heard with the race directors and their attitude, everyone seems to like this venue. Literally no parking in that area since everything is residential. I heard you may have to take a shuttle with your gear to the transition area. Heard this goes for spectators as well.

Personally, not doing this race myselft, but good luck to those who are! Very scenic and nice area!

2011-06-21 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Josh - I'll look for you on Saturday! My foot is better, but not 100%. I'm going to race on Sunday, but it won't be the A race I was hoping for, but I'll be out there.

The roads around the beach/Jerusalem, etc are all in good shape. Paving is done, except the one crappy road. No construction to be seen anywhere.

Just found out Jarrod Shoemaker, Gary Hall Jr, and the Hoyts will be competing, as will our own US Senator Scott Brown (who made AG podium last year).

Yes, parking is a pain. The main lot is just a mile from transition/beach, and you can ride there in no time. I think the race is popular as the setting is quite nice, and the last couple miles of the bike & run are right along the ocean. Just makes for a nice place to go race, I guess.

2011-06-21 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
I'll be there, this is my first tri!  You're right, Cedar Street is completely awful.  I rode the course last week and could not believe how rough that stretch was!  I'm actually racing on the TriTeam for Diabetes (I'm a type 1 diabetic), so look for me!  I'd love to meet any other local BTers...  Good luck!
2011-06-22 4:46 AM

Good luck to those racing Sunday, I will be there. I agree that Cedar St is terrible. They had to change the course a few years ago and send it up Cedar St to avoid going the other side of the golf course where there was a set of train tracks that had to be crossed. I heard some people went down on crossing the tracks(not that Cedar St is much better!!) Just stay focused on that section. All other sections are fine.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cohasset Tri - June 26 Rss Feed